Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

want to work or start own business in florida

want to work or start own business in florida

Old Mar 6th 2010, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

staryzarey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default want to work or start own business in florida

HI .. hoping that someone can help me ...

i have just returned from a beautiful time in florida with my american boyfriend but would like to return there and either set up a small business or get a job and work.

I do have relatives mainly cousins in california and have thought about sponsorship but i hear that this can take up to 10 years to get approved.

I also have a social security number but is stamped "Not Valid for employment" but would anyone know this ??

i have also looked at the E2 visa which you invest into another business and you get a temporary allowance to work

I even looked into marrying my boyfriend and even that seems to take a very long process

and of course i have looked at the obvious choice of trying to find a company to sponsor me but he lives in a small town in NW florida so the big companies of Orlando are not an option either.

is there anything i can do or that you can suggest that will help me move things further or at least give me some hope ... ??

Looking forward to hearing from anyone with suggestions ...
Thanks
Old Mar 6th 2010, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: want to work or start own business in florida

Any employer who would employ you legally would require you to produce evidence of your right to work. For example, I had to provide to my employer my original EAD issued by Immigration.

It is not worth trying to work illegally, if you get caught you can kiss goodbye to ever legally getting admitted.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Since the possibility is open to you, marriage is by far the fastest, cheapest and easiest route. Takes about 6 months with K-1, a little longer with CR-1.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 8:13 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Henry is correct this is the quickest option, and YES they would know if you used a SSN that was not work authorised and it could also lead to serious implications in the future if you were to try and use it.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 10:40 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by staryzarey
I also have a social security number but is stamped "Not Valid for employment" but would anyone know this ?
Yes... it means you can't work without appropriate authorization - such as an employment visa or an EAD. Hint = Google is your friend.

I even looked into marrying my boyfriend and even that seems to take a very long process.
Marriage takes only a few minutes. Getting a visa either before or after will take 6-8 months. In US immigration terms, that's a wink of an eye. Marriage is, by far, the easiest, fastest, and surest method! I'll add here, that US immigration isn't Burger King. If you need context, hint = Google is your friend.

Ian
Old Mar 7th 2010, 12:05 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I do have relatives mainly cousins in california and have thought about sponsorship but i hear that this can take up to 10 years to get approved.
Cousins cannot sponsor you. You say they are "mainly" cousins...who are the other ones? If they are your parent, child, or sibling, they can sponsor you (although the results are not instantaneous...there's still a visa process to go through, from about 1 to 12 years depending on their relationship to you).

I also have a social security number but is stamped "Not Valid for employment" but would anyone know this ??
Your employer will know, because you will most likely need to show that card to them, and then they will ask for your work authorization to go along with that legend on your SS card.

[i have also looked at the E2 visa which you invest into another business and you get a temporary allowance to work
And? Does it look like something you can do?

I even looked into marrying my boyfriend and even that seems to take a very long process
It's not really a long process. The K-1 fiance visa is probably your quickest method to get here, and it takes about 6 - 8 months. In immigration-speak, that's not very long.

and of course i have looked at the obvious choice of trying to find a company to sponsor me but he lives in a small town in NW florida so the big companies of Orlando are not an option either.
Why not? Maybe if you got a company in Orlando to sponsor you, he could move there to be with you, or you guys could have a closer long-distance relationship.

If you're goal is to get to the USA via the quickest method, I suggest the K-1 fiance visa. That is, if you are really ready to marry your boyfriend.

Rene
Old Mar 7th 2010, 12:53 am
Just Joined

firstly thank you all for answers so quickly ...

my other relative option is a half sister .. we have the same mother... but does this not mean that i have to stay in the same state as her to work ?

the comments about marriage seem interesting but he is currently a full tie student on the GI bill so cannot say that he could support me and him on the spouse sponsor marriage form ... and from what i have found out about the fiance visa.. this means i can only stay in the country 3 months, we then have to get married and i have to return to the uk for up to 6 months to apply for marriage papers.

the E2 is not an option right now as i only have half of what they expect you to spend

so any more help would be great ....
thank you all so very much...

Old Mar 7th 2010, 12:57 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

firstly thank you all for answers so quickly ...

my other relative option is a half sister .. we have the same mother... but does this not mean that i have to stay in the same state as her to work ?

the comments about marriage seem interesting but he is currently a full tie student on the GI bill so cannot say that he could support me and him on the spouse sponsor marriage form ... and from what i have found out about the fiance visa.. this means i can only stay in the country 3 months, we then have to get married and i have to return to the uk for up to 6 months to apply for marriage papers.

the E2 is not an option right now as i only have half of what they expect you to spend

so any more help would be great ....
thank you all so very much...

As Rene already said even a sibling might mean a 1-12 year wait
Old Mar 7th 2010, 1:18 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

That's not how the fiance visa works.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 3:10 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... from what i have found out about the fiance visa...
What you have found out is totally wrong. With a fiancee visa, you enter the US and marry your fiance within 90 days. You don't ever have to leave the US once you're married and file to adjust your status.

Here's a thought for you... learning about immigration is like learning a new language. It takes time to understand and digest. Give it some time.

Ian
Old Mar 7th 2010, 5:03 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If a half-sister can sponsor the same way a sibling can, then it will be about 10 - 12 years before you actually immigrate to the USA. This is your slowest method.

You have completely misunderstood the K-1 fiance visa process. Try reading the Wiki here and see if you can get how it really works. Also, he can use a joint sponsor on the I-864.

Rene
Old Mar 7th 2010, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

i cant find anything about being allowed to start a business on a fiance visa ... would i have to have a job and work for a certain amount of time before i can legally start my own business...
Old Mar 7th 2010, 1:13 pm

i cant find anything about being allowed to start a business on a fiance visa ... would i have to have a job and work for a certain amount of time before i can legally start my own business...
Here's where your starting a business falls into the fiance visa process:

1. Your USC fiance files an I-129F.
2. Approximately 6 - 8 months later, you obtain your K-1 visa.
3. You arrive in the USA.
4. You get married within 90 days and apply for your Adjustment of Status (AOS) as soon as possible after marriage.
5. About 90 days after filing AOS, you receive your Employment Authorization Document (EAD)
6. You are allowed to start working, whether it be for an employer or for yourself.

Rene
Old Mar 7th 2010, 2:04 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If a half-sister can sponsor the same way a sibling can, then it will be about 10 - 12 years before you actually immigrate to the USA. This is your slowest method.
Observation: definition of sibling for "FB-4" classification is having ONE "parent" in common. Most of the time, this is easy -- but there are some quite complicated fact patterns to get at who is the common parent. [I'm thinking of a case where dad and wife had a kid, dad abandons family, starts second family with new putative "wife" and has two more kids. Common parent was first kid's mother. Under current law, dad would also be a common parent].

The wait list is lengthy, but one never knows what might happen. In the case described above, an old priority date was recaptured.

No advice given nor intended.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 6:44 pm
Account Closed

i cant find anything about being allowed to start a business on a fiance visa ...
There's a reason you can't find any information... you can't do it - at least, not until you are married, have filed for AOS, and received an EAD. Once you have an EAD, you can work either for yourself or someone else.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.