Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Want to emigrate.... BUT medical issues

Want to emigrate.... BUT medical issues

Old Nov 23rd 2008, 8:48 am
Just Joined

JS2020 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Want to emigrate.... BUT medical issues

Hello everybody,

I'll try to keep this as short and anonymous as possible.

I'm a 25 year old male Brit, and I'm currently living with my US citizen girlfriend, here in England. I met her while I was studying abroad in Canada. We've been together three years now, and have proof of companionship for two of those three years.

She is over here temporarily on a BUNAC study visa, a temporary measure while we try to figure out our future.

Basically, we both want to live in the US. However, there are some issues: I suffer from a genetic condition called Cystic Fibrosis, so even if we were to get married, I'm not sure whether I'd be able to get in to the states, or be eligible for medical insurance. I really don't know how the medical system works over there, and whether it differs state by state. Here in the UK, all my medical costs are paid by the NHS. CF is an expensive condition, and I know it may cause problems for the emigration process.

In terms of where we'd like to go, well my gf is from the north east, so we'd be looking to settle somewhere like Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Maine, etc. However, we would also consider the west coast, i.e. California/Washington state.

Now, at the moment my gf is looking to go back to university. So, our plans are either to stay in the UK or move to Australia while she completes her degree over the next 3/4 years.

While it is much cheaper for her to go to uni in the states, if we are to stay together, it's probably best if we bide our time in either the UK/Australia, while we figure out exactly how we can get into the states, and how I can land a job and sufficient medical coverage.

I just don't know where to start, and would appreciate some advice on the matter so we can start making plans.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

As a side note, we heard that Massachusetts has some sort of universal health coverage, is this true, and would it apply to Cystic Fibrosis?
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 8:51 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to emigrate.... BUT medical issues

1. In order to immigrate to the USA, you and your girlfriend must be married.
2. Your medical condition will most likely not bar you from immigrating.
3. Health insurance for you in the USA will be a nightmare.

Rene
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 9:50 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JS2020
Basically, we both want to live in the US. However, there are some issues: I suffer from a genetic condition called Cystic Fibrosis, so even if we were to get married, I'm not sure whether I'd be able to get in to the states, or be eligible for medical insurance. I really don't know how the medical system works over there, and whether it differs state by state. Here in the UK, all my medical costs are paid by the NHS. CF is an expensive condition, and I know it may cause problems for the emigration process.
It probably won't cause issues for the emigration process, but you should be aware that there is no NHS in the United States.

Some employers do provide healthcare coverage, but even then, financially you may well be better off sticking with the care that the NHS can provide.

Would she be willing to live permanently in the United Kingdom?
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

There are a few potential issues with immigrating to the US.

Would your medical condition be a problem in immigrating? I would hope not, but I wonder. As others have said, it's not a communicable disease, etc. Could it raise public charge issues? Possibly.

Your girlfriend (would have to become wife) would have to be your financial sponsor. And if she was going to university, she probably wouldn't have enough income - unless you or she have quite significant assets, you would likely require a co-sponsor.

Insurance would be the big problem. If she was working, and able to add you to her policy, it is potentially possible for your condition to be covered - stating the NHS as creditable coverage. If you search the forum for creditable coverage and HIPAA you can see details on this. This has worked - but other times it has not.

If you had to get individual health insurance - it is pretty much guaranteed that they will not cover your medical condition.

It is a possibility that you could get into some state high-risk pool, if you came over as a spouse (not fiance), but that is not guaranteed. Again, they *should* consider the NHS creditable coverage - but no guarantees.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 10:46 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
There are a few potential issues with immigrating to the US.
.......... It is a possibility that you could get into some state high-risk pool, if you came over as a spouse (not fiance), but that is not guaranteed. Again, they *should* consider the NHS creditable coverage - but no guarantees.
Not cheap...

"To get an idea of what premiums cost in various states, we looked at premiums that would be charged to a 50-year-old woman purchasing a plan with a $500 deductible (the lowest deductible charged) in the states that have enrolled at least 10,000 people in their high-risk pools. For example, in 2006, a 50-year-old woman seeking a policy with a $500 deductible would pay monthly premiums of $448 in Minnesota (where premiums are set at between 101-125 percent of the average rate for comparable policies), $506 in Oregon (where premiums are capped at 125 percent), $737 in Texas (where premiums are capped at 200 percent), and $865 in Illinois (where premiums are set at between 125-150 percent)."

http://www.familiesusa.org/assets/pd...s-May-2006.pdf
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Not cheap...

"To get an idea of what premiums cost in various states, we looked at premiums that would be charged to a 50-year-old woman purchasing a plan with a $500 deductible (the lowest deductible charged) in the states that have enrolled at least 10,000 people in their high-risk pools. For example, in 2006, a 50-year-old woman seeking a policy with a $500 deductible would pay monthly premiums of $448 in Minnesota (where premiums are set at between 101-125 percent of the average rate for comparable policies), $506 in Oregon (where premiums are capped at 125 percent), $737 in Texas (where premiums are capped at 200 percent), and $865 in Illinois (where premiums are set at between 125-150 percent)."

http://www.familiesusa.org/assets/pd...s-May-2006.pdf
I'm surprised how much it varies - and interesting - Texas premium cap is a higher percent, but Illinois costs more? Expensive in the Chicago area perhaps?

$448 for a 50-year-old is probably very good compared to what I've seen - seems employers around here pay an average of $500, even for a young person. $865 is (obviously) a fair bit worse.

I do agree, unless the OP gets insurance through employment, they shoudl expect to pay a fair amount for it.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 11:47 am
Just Joined

First of all, thank you so much for the replies so far.

Would I be right in saying that what I've gathered from the replies so far is that medical insurance paid by an employer might be feasible, but individual insurance would be far too expensive?

I have a master's degree, and would be looking to go into professional employment in my field. Would I have to sort out the right medical insurance with an employer first?

In terms of staying in the UK or going to Aus for her to go to uni, we just don't think it would be feasible to try and go across to the states before september 2009. I have just graduated, so would be looking to get some experience in the field, before applying for professional jobs in the states.

I suppose we just don't want to rush things and spoil our chances. I'd rather spend the next several years getting everything in line and gaining some work experience. Or, that's my opinion right now. I'm not 100% though.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 11:53 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Would I have to sort out the right medical insurance with an employer first?
Not likely. After you are hired, you will deal directly with the insurance company that holds the coverage for the employer. While the employer might help cover the cost of the premiums, it's the insurance company that makes the decision of whether or not to cover you at all. If they decide not to cover you, then you may need to decide whether or not you can afford to remain working for that employer.

Ian
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 11:56 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Whenever you decide to immigrate to the USA, just be aware that it takes about 8 to 10 months to get your visa in hand to do so. If you are wanting to immigrate to the USA in September 2009, you'll want to start the visa process pretty soon.

Rene
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

We're not married yet. So would it not be more sensible for her to do her studies outside the US, then if we were to marry, start the process after that point?
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 12:07 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

The UK seems to be your best bet at the moment - I see you mentioned the possibility of Australia - please be aware that Australia has stringent medical conditions for visas and if they deem you to possibly be a 'drain on the system' over a certain $ amount they will not grant the visa.

Best of luck with it all.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 12:08 pm

We're not married yet. So would it not be more sensible for her to do her studies outside the US, then if we were to marry, start the process after that point?
It's totally up to you. If you want to stay unmarried through the visa process, she can apply for a K-1 fiance visa for you. Takes about 8 to 10 months, then you can come to the USA together, but you must marry within 90 days of your entry.

Or, you can wait until you get married and start the Immigrant Visa (CR-1) process at that time, just be aware it takes roughly 8 to 10 months from THAT date for you to immigrant then.

As others have also mentioned, she will most likely need a joint sponsor either way, since she's still a student and not earning US income above the poverty level. If you have questions about that, you might might want to start a new thread with I-134/I-864 Affidavit of Support questions.

Rene
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tracym
Insurance would be the big problem. If she was working, and able to add you to her policy, it is potentially possible for your condition to be covered - stating the NHS as creditable coverage. If you search the forum for creditable coverage and HIPAA you can see details on this. This has worked - but other times it has not.
I.e. saying that if I got really sick, I could return to the UK?
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It's totally up to you. If you want to stay unmarried through the visa process, she can apply for a K-1 fiance visa for you. Takes about 8 to 10 months, then you can come to the USA together, but you must marry within 90 days of your entry.

Or, you can wait until you get married and start the Immigrant Visa (CR-1) process at that time, just be aware it takes roughly 8 to 10 months from THAT date for you to immigrant then.
Is one of those two visas 'stronger' than the other? Is it easier to go via one route than another?

Originally Posted by Noorah101
As others have also mentioned, she will most likely need a joint sponsor either way, since she's still a student and not earning US income above the poverty level. If you have questions about that, you might might want to start a new thread with I-134/I-864 Affidavit of Support questions.

Rene
Sorry, I've lost you. She'll need a joint sponsor where?
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tking
The UK seems to be your best bet at the moment - I see you mentioned the possibility of Australia - please be aware that Australia has stringent medical conditions for visas and if they deem you to possibly be a 'drain on the system' over a certain $ amount they will not grant the visa.

Best of luck with it all.
DEAD RIGHT - tking, heard of the latest case where they denied visa to a doctor coz his son had some kinda of illness that was deemed to be a drag on the medical system here ? Btw - the medical system here is worse than UK!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.