Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Waiver for non paid Business and Pleasure?

Wikiposts

Waiver for non paid Business and Pleasure?

Old Oct 7th 2013, 2:21 am
Just Joined

JustTime is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Waiver for non paid Business and Pleasure?

Hi BE and All,

I'm new here and looking for friendly advice so that i make sure i'm on the right track and visa.

A bit about my visits first.
Has been a long time since i last visited the USA between then and now, so 15 years ago or more and then suddenly the last couple of years:
July - 3 weeks 2012
Jan - 4 weeks 2013
Aug - 6 weeks 2013

I have been entering the USA on the ESTA and Visa Waiver and i believe the Waiver entitles me up to 90 days to stay.
These trips have been spent visiting very close friends i have known most of my life and we always stayed in contact via letters and emails, now only having just rediscovered the USA culture i'm loving it and would love to settled in the USA one day if i had the chance but i can dream for now.

I am planning another trip in May 2014 next year and wanting to spend the most amount of time i can, after reading a bit on here its best to stay about 86 or 88 days giving yourself a couple of days grace just in case anything goes wrong with flights. Which makes sense so i don't accidentally go over my 90 days if any flight mishaps did happen.

I am self employed here in the UK and have my business which has been established for the last 10 years. Only now have i been able to and have the chance to take good time off and away from work to enjoy myself.
But on my returning trip i was thinking off doing some market research while i'm out in the USA and take my laptop with me and meet up with a representative of another large USA based company for talks and meetings of mutual interest. There could also be the chance of employment later on down the line but that's something that will not happen until all ties are dealt with in the UK.
While this is not work or not will i be working, it's just mutual talks about business and ideas with a little research.

On my second trip i was questioned a lot about my visit, how long have i known friends, am i seeing anyone or involved with anyone etc and mostly am i here to work and had a short grilling, but all was well and only short questions on the last trip and went straight through.
If anyone asks yes i will be returning to the UK as i am married but separated and i still have my kids to think about.
I will also be travelling on a returning ticket, which seem's to get asked a lot here too.

Why i'm asking the question would i be better travelling to the USA on a Visa for Business or carry on as per normal on my Visa Waiver and just say Business and Pleasure as your entitled to enter on Business and Tourism but from what i read not the other way round?
Just looking for advice as i don't want to make the wrong application or do anything that is not necessary.

Sorry if i have waffled on or this comes across as a newbie message but all this visa talk has suddenly become overwhelming and misleading the more i read.

Thank you all.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 2:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Waiver for non paid Business and Pleasure?

VWP requirement is for a return ticket.

What other visa do you thing you would be both eligible to apply for and likely to get?
Old Oct 7th 2013, 2:27 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

WT (Waiver Tourist) allows you to attend meeting while the primary purpose of your trip is tourism. That is the correct one for you. Don't apply for a B1/2, you are likely to be denied and it will leave you unable to travel at all for a period of time.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 2:50 am
Just Joined

Many thanks for you replies.

Boiler: I was not aware that a VWP was a requirement of a return ticket thanks you for letting me know. I was not sure if i should apply for a different Visa for business was all.

civilservant: So the WT (Waiver Tourist) is different from the VMP? Sounds like the WT suits to allow me to attend meetings with the primary purpose of my trip being tourism. Do not want to complicate things with a B1/2 if it's not necessary at this stage.

Thank you.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 2:57 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

No WT is what is written on the stamp in your passport when you enter under the VWP - unless you state your main purpose is business then it'll be WB.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 3:28 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JustTime
Many thanks for you replies.

Boiler: I was not aware that a VWP was a requirement of a return ticket thanks you for letting me know. ....
Technically the requirement is for evidence of onward travel out of the US, so an onward flight, a cruise booking, evidence of travel arrangements in Canada etc. would also meet the requirement.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 4:00 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The VWP, like a visa, is what allows you to travel to the USA to request entry. WT (or WB, if for business) is the status you will have in the USA if you are granted entry.

It is all too common for the terms 'visa' (or VWP) and 'status' to be used interchangeably, most often with the term 'visa' being used when talking about 'status'. This inevitably leads to confusion over how long a person can remain in the USA if their visa expires while they are here.

Regards, JEff
So the WT (Waiver Tourist) is different from the VMP?
Old Oct 7th 2013, 4:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Simplistically you can Visit and undertake Business on the VWP, you can not work.

Bear in mind in the US most people including the person you will be talking to are lucky to get 2 weeks off.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 5:42 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
WT (Waiver Tourist) allows you to attend meeting while the primary purpose of your trip is tourism.
That's 100% false.

People admitted as B1/WB can also conduct tourist activities incidental to their business trip. However, people admitted as a B2 must get an approved change of status before conducting business activities in the US. WT visitors cannot change status so are not permitted to conduct any business activities.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

bruceba has a spectacular aura aboutbruceba has a spectacular aura aboutbruceba has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Technically the requirement is for evidence of onward travel out of the US, so an onward flight, a cruise booking, evidence of travel arrangements in Canada etc. would also meet the requirement.
They would need to be resident in one of those jurisdictions.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 12:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bruceba
They would need to be resident in one of those jurisdictions.
No, round the world trips through the US are perfectly possible. Arriving in the US and boarding a cruise is also not uncommon. The permutations are numerous, and CBP's concern is only that those who arrive as a visitor on a visa or the VWP, leave again. If you have information about how these types of travel arrangement are possible if CBP requires a return airline ticket, I would be very interested to hear about it.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks for all your replied and explaining to me.

So is it best to enter as WT and say nothing about little business i am there for too?

Thank you.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 10:21 pm

..... So is it best to enter as WT and say nothing about little business i am there for too? ....
No, if you are there for business you should disclose that. In fact it is likely that the CBP officer will ask the purpose of your visit, business or pleasure? Lying in response to a direct question from a CBP officer is a very bad idea.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks for your reply, so its best to state Business and Tourism or Business and Pleasure?
Old Oct 8th 2013, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

bruceba has a spectacular aura aboutbruceba has a spectacular aura aboutbruceba has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Pulaski
No, round the world trips through the US are perfectly possible. Arriving in the US and boarding a cruise is also not uncommon. The permutations are numerous, and CBP's concern is only that those who arrive as a visitor on a visa or the VWP, leave again. If you have information about how these types of travel arrangement are possible if CBP requires a return airline ticket, I would be very interested to hear about it.
Round the world trip is a different matter. What you suggested is incorrect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.