Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Waiver of Inadmissibility - Transferring to new visas

Waiver of Inadmissibility - Transferring to new visas

Old Jan 25th 2019, 11:14 pm
Just Joined

Scampi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Waiver of Inadmissibility - Transferring to new visas

I know this has likely been asked before but you never know how recent experiences change, so I thought I'd put it out there again.

I'm a UK citizen and am currently in the US on an E2 employee visa with a waiver of inadmissibility (for a controlled substance possession caution I received in the UK 10 years ago). It's a 5 year visa which I've used for 18 months. Sadly, my employment is coming to an end in a few months so I'm looking at new visa options.

My wife and I are in the process of applying for a E2 investor visa for a small business (with her as the primary visa holder). So plan A is to switch to be her dependent on that E2.

My question is, will the waiver be transferrable to the new E2 given it was originally issued alongside a 5 year visa?

Any info on recent experience greatly appreciated!

Old Jan 25th 2019, 11:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Waiver of Inadmissibility - Transferring to new visas

All prior experience suggests new visa new waiver.
Old Jan 25th 2019, 11:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is that a waiver is not transferable. This will be a new visa application, so the need for a waiver will be reviewed again and if needed, it will be a new waiver.

Rene
Old Jan 25th 2019, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info. So if I’m already in the US when the E2 visa gets granted for our business, do you know how this would play out? We plan to apply whilst here.
Old Jan 25th 2019, 11:34 pm
Account Closed

Sounds like you are looking to do a change of status and not apply for a visa?
Old Jan 25th 2019, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

Good point. I guess that would be the first move. But if I leave the country, would that would require a new visa?
Old Jan 25th 2019, 11:50 pm
Account Closed

That would depend, you can use you current E@ and waiver whilst your employment continues.
Old Jan 25th 2019, 11:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much for the replies here. I guess the main concern I have is needing to return home once my status is changed and my current employment ends . Do you know how this would work?
Old Jan 26th 2019, 12:02 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scampi
Thanks so much for the replies here. I guess the main concern I have is needing to return home once my status is changed and my current employment ends . Do you know how this would work?
My understanding is that you would then need a new visa.

Rene
Old Jan 26th 2019, 12:10 am
Account Closed

With a change of status you are effectively landlocked, of you leave then you need a visa to re enter.
Old Jan 26th 2019, 12:15 am
Just Joined

Understood. Many thanks again for the replies. Will work within these frustrating limitations!
Old Jan 26th 2019, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a bit confused by the terminology being thrown around here - would OP really be changing status given the visa type is the same? Or is this the distinction between being the treaty investor vs an essential employee?

Either way, unless you can apply for the new E-2 whilst you are still employed on your old one (and you can have another visa application going on whilst you are using another valid visa), and then remain employed until it is issued, you're going to have to leave the country.

I have switched from one E-2 to another and this is what happened. I also needed a waiver, and it basically resulted in me sitting on my arse in the UK whilst I was waiting. Sounds like you ought to get the ball rolling asap.
Old Jan 26th 2019, 12:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by shiversaint
I'm a bit confused by the terminology being thrown around here - would OP really be changing status given the visa type is the same? Or is this the distinction between being the treaty investor vs an essential employee?

Either way, unless you can apply for the new E-2 whilst you are still employed on your old one (and you can have another visa application going on whilst you are using another valid visa), and then remain employed until it is issued, you're going to have to leave the country.

I have switched from one E-2 to another and this is what happened. I also needed a waiver, and it basically resulted in me sitting on my arse in the UK whilst I was waiting. Sounds like you ought to get the ball rolling asap.
Sounded like he was going to become an E2 Dependent on the back of his wife's business. Could get an EAD that way.
Old Jan 26th 2019, 3:21 am
Just Joined

Yes, the plan was for myself to get an EAD based on my wife's E2. We are definitely cutting it fine in terms of getting the business plan etc approved before my current employment ends, however it can definitely be done when adding the 60 day grace period that proceeds it. I'll clearly ask a professional opinion as its a fine detail but would likely be within that period that we could get her new E2 visa approved.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

The following seems to suggest you can apply to change status to an E2 dependent, whilst in country, so long as either you remain qualified for your original E2 status OR you have applied whilst still lawfully present during the grace period.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...urces/C2en.pdf

It seems you would need to file form i-539 to change status to an E2 dependent, but this would obviously be for you AFTER you wife is issued her E2 (or with her application).

For you wife, she would need the company to file an i-129 on her behalf.

Please however read the attached, as it details the steps needed quite clearly