Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Waiting on 1-130; is it normal that they haven't charged my credit card yet?

Waiting on 1-130; is it normal that they haven't charged my credit card yet?

Old Jun 16th 2009, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

Aaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really nice
Default Re: Waiting on 1-130; is it normal that they haven't charged my credit card yet?

Well it *must* be "Keep Austin Weird" hehe

They still haven't replied or taken the money... I'm thinking maybe I should send another pack but with a covering letter explaining about the first one(?) Then if they do have it they can always send the new one back in the s.a.e.

At least I'll know for sure then and can stop fretting about it.
What do you think?
Old Jun 16th 2009, 12:48 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waiting on 1-130; is it normal that they haven't charged my credit card yet?

Originally Posted by Aaarrrggg
Well it *must* be "Keep Austin Weird" hehe

They still haven't replied or taken the money... I'm thinking maybe I should send another pack but with a covering letter explaining about the first one(?) Then if they do have it they can always send the new one back in the s.a.e.

At least I'll know for sure then and can stop fretting about it.
What do you think?
London USCIS didn't answer your email? For shame.

Yeah, it's your judgement call now..but that is a full month. I hate to leave a package floating around out there, but that might be what you need to do, re-send.
I'm sorry you have this on top of Life. No fun!

I wish someone else had a thought to chime in on this thread; I know it's happened to others in the past.

As for Austin and weird, it will remain a mystery until I get there I think. Portland is pretty darn weird..
Old Jun 18th 2009, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Aaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really nice

Sent off another packet yesterday... 3rd time's a charm right?

It's worrying that there’s another one flying around out there with all our info and credit card details... I guess I'll just have to pay close attention to my card for suspicious activity.

Still, I'm happy that we're off again, hopefully we've had all our bad luck now and the rest will go sailing past. I'll let you know when we hear back
Old Jun 18th 2009, 4:01 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Alrighty then! Keep us posted!
Old Jun 21st 2009, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

It worked, it worked!!! They took the money!!
I feel like Wil E. Coyote after finally catching Roadrunner hehe

Thanks for all your help meauxna! Before I asked on here I rang the premium number a 2nd time and they told me to keep waiting because it could take 12weeks... can you imagine if I'd listened?! *shudder*

Onwards to Austin!
Old Jun 21st 2009, 5:11 pm

It worked, it worked!!! They took the money!!
I feel like Wil E. Coyote after finally catching Roadrunner hehe

Thanks for all your help meauxna! Before I asked on here I rang the premium number a 2nd time and they told me to keep waiting because it could take 12weeks... can you imagine if I'd listened?! *shudder*

Onwards to Austin!
Yikes! Well that didn't take long at all!

Woohoo.. on to the visa prep!
(has he ordered his police certificate yet? And you get going on tax returns and the I-864 now)
Attached Thumbnails Waiting on 1-130; is it normal that they haven't charged my credit card yet?-wile_e_coyote_2.gif  
Old Jun 21st 2009, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Wilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by meauxna

(has he ordered his police certificate yet? And you get going on tax returns and the I-864 now)
Congrats!
Old Jun 21st 2009, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

*Wily E. watches Roadrunner sprint away and falls off a cliff*
Oh drat I didn't know there were more things to fill in; I just thought it was an interview and medical, bah!

We haven't received anything back from them yet, just seen the money go out so I don't know the next step... thanks for the heads up!

I'll get him onto ordering the police certificate tomorrow, but I'm a little worried about the tax thing. Basically I'm the one with the money. We work freelance and to make things easier we've just been lumping our earnings together and paying tax through me. Eeek... this is going to be tricky.

I have a house and investments/shares as well so hopefully that has to count for something. Do they make allowances for these things? Seems silly to presume that the immigrant is always going to be the poor one.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 7:26 pm

*Wily E. watches Roadrunner sprint away and falls off a cliff*
Oh drat I didn't know there were more things to fill in; I just thought it was an interview and medical, bah!

We haven't received anything back from them yet, just seen the money go out so I don't know the next step... thanks for the heads up!

I'll get him onto ordering the police certificate tomorrow, but I'm a little worried about the tax thing. Basically I'm the one with the money. We work freelance and to make things easier we've just been lumping our earnings together and paying tax through me. Eeek... this is going to be tricky.

I have a house and investments/shares as well so hopefully that has to count for something. Do they make allowances for these things? Seems silly to presume that the immigrant is always going to be the poor one.
Pleeeease read the first link in my signature, about Direct Consular Filing. I think a lot of your quesitons will be answered.
(and a new crop will develop! )
Old Jun 21st 2009, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Pleeeease read the first link in my signature, about Direct Consular Filing. I think a lot of your quesitons will be answered.
(and a new crop will develop! )
Sweet thanks again forum kitty! *clicks*
Old Jun 21st 2009, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Oh yikes, we didn't know he's supposed to have been filing with the IRS! He moved here when he was 5 and his dad never said anything about it, blurgh, not fair!

The US Domicile thing is a little odd, kind of makes me wish we'd just moved there and worked it all out then... but they don't like you doing that either. From what I understood our intent to move there permanently should be enough... failing that he does have family in Tx and his Dad is moving to Austin too so that should help.

My brain hurts from reading all that, I'll pass it along and leave it to my hubbie and father in law for a bit I think...
Old Jun 21st 2009, 8:13 pm

Oh yikes, we didn't know he's supposed to have been filing with the IRS! He moved here when he was 5 and his dad never said anything about it, blurgh, not fair!

The US Domicile thing is a little odd, kind of makes me wish we'd just moved there and worked it all out then... but they don't like you doing that either. From what I understood our intent to move there permanently should be enough... failing that he does have family in Tx and his Dad is moving to Austin too so that should help.

My brain hurts from reading all that, I'll pass it along and leave it to my hubbie and father in law for a bit I think...
tsk, and I thought it was so easy to read!

His situation is very common, and the IRS staff at the Embassy are very used to helping dual citizens in this situation.

Now go read the wiki entry, and just focus on the past three years.

For domicile, focus on 'intent to establish'; London is pretty easy going about this (not free wheeling, but easy going).
AND, it *should* be easier for the USC to get some of this stuff, but since he never lived there as an adult, I'm sure some of it is new to him as well.

And of course, the 'just moving' thing is illegal, so you'll be a lot more comfortable I'm sure, in getting these things done ahead of time (they would have to be done anyway).

This link sounds like it would be dorky, but there is a lot of good info in here & it might help you start to get a feel for how things work.
Welcome to the United States: A Guide for New Immigrants
I know the biggest frustrations for me are expecting a system to work in the same way I'm familiar, and it just won't.. for ex, we don't have chip & pin cards here. I'm sure the first time I run into that abroad I'll be 'hunh?'.