Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

VWP Eligibility-Youth Caution-Marijuana

VWP Eligibility-Youth Caution-Marijuana

Old Dec 26th 2009, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

alan321 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default VWP Eligibility-Youth Caution-Marijuana

Hi
I have a question regarding the eligibility of my 16 year-old son to travel under the VWP.
2 Weeks ago my son was detained(not arrested) and questioned by the police under suspicion of using marijuana.
He admitted and they decided to not give him a criminal record but to give him some sort of youth caution, and promised as that there won't be any record on any police computer but the one of the youth division of the israeli police.
My question is, does this mean he isn't eligible to travel under the VWP?
oh ya i forgot to mention that we are british citizens.
Cheers
Alan
Old Dec 26th 2009, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VWP Eligibility-Youth Caution-Marijuana

Originally Posted by alan321
Weeks ago my son was detained(not arrested) and questioned by the police
Were you there when it happened? How do you know he was not arrested? What criteria was used to determine the difference between the two?

He admitted...
He admitted to what? Using marijuana?

... and they decided to not give him a criminal record but to give him some sort of youth caution, and promised as that there won't be any record on any police computer but the one of the youth division of the israeli police.
Where did this happen? In Israel?

If he wasn't arrested (I wouldn't necessarily take anyone's promise that there'll be no record) he'll probably be okay... probably.

Ian
Old Dec 26th 2009, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Were you there when it happened? How do you know he was not arrested? What criteria was used to determine the difference between the two?

He admitted to what? Using marijuana?

Where did this happen? In Israel?

If he wasn't arrested (I wouldn't necessarily take anyone's promise that there'll be no record) he'll probably be okay... probably.

Ian
i know he wasn't arrested because i was with him when the police said the following"i am detaining you for the purpose of taking you to a police station to be questioned, you are not free to go" and also i asked the officer when he was realesed if he was arrested at any time and he said no just detained.
And yes he only admitted to using marijuana
and yes it happend in israel
Old Dec 26th 2009, 8:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... i asked the officer when he was realesed if he was arrested at any time and he said no just detained.l
Well then... good! As long as he can answer the questions on ESTA and the I-94W honestly, he should be fine.

Ian
Old Dec 26th 2009, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Well then... good! As long as he can answer the questions on ESTA and the I-94W honestly, he should be fine.

Ian
Wait does that mean he has to tick yes to that question?
or can he just tick no?
Cheers
Old Dec 29th 2009, 9:29 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I have a question regarding the eligibility of my 16 year-old son to travel under the VWP.
2 Weeks ago my son was detained(not arrested) and questioned by the police under suspicion of using marijuana.
He admitted and they decided to not give him a criminal record but to give him some sort of youth caution, and promised as that there won't be any record on any police computer but the one of the youth division of the israeli police.
What exactly is this "some sort of youth caution?"
Old Dec 29th 2009, 12:02 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

The OP's question warrants further investigation. Shusterman wrote in his latest bulletin that "A person who admits to smoking marijuana a few times, even as a teenager many years ago, is forever banned from entering the US." As Shusterman says, US immigration laws are so strict that our last three Presidents would all be ineligible to even visit the US if they were aliens, since all three of them have admitted to smoking marijuana.

Hi
oh ya i forgot to mention that we are british citizens.
Cheers
Alan
Old Dec 29th 2009, 12:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dreamercon
Shusterman wrote in his latest bulletin...
Shusterman also condones the VWP express. I put little faith in anything he spouts.

Ian
Old Dec 29th 2009, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

Wait does that mean he has to tick yes to that question? or can he just tick no?
Have you read the question? Was he "arrested or convicted for..."?

Ian
Old Dec 29th 2009, 4:57 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Have you read the question? Was he "arrested or convicted for..."?

Ian
When it comes to sentencing you have said in the past it is what the sentence could be in the US which counts not what it was in whatever country the offense took place.

Would the same apply to the definition of "arrest"? I ask because if you were detained and told "you are not free to go" that fits the legal definination I think of an arrest here in the US.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 4:57 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lansbury
Would the same apply to the definition of "arrest"? I ask because if you were detained and told "you are not free to go" that fits the legal definination I think of an arrest here in the US.
You make a good point - something, I admit, I hadn't considered. I really don't know the answer to that!

Ian
Old Dec 30th 2009, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

When it comes to sentencing you have said in the past it is what the sentence could be in the US which counts not what it was in whatever country the offense took place.

Well regarding the health grounds someone has mentioned, my son claims to have only used once(at least that is what he told the police) and from what i understood the health policy only applies if you tried it more than once.
and also i checked online and i found the following quote out of the FAM:
9 FAM 40.21(b) N2.1 Aliens Under Age 18
(TL:VISA-129; 11-09-1995)
An alien who is convicted of or who admits to having committed or who
admits committing acts which constitute the essential elements of a minor
drug offense(s) relating to simple possession or use of controlled
substances, i.e., offenses other than those involving trafficking,
importing/exporting, or manufacturing (18 U.S.C.), shall not be considered
ineligible for any visa based solely upon any such conviction or admission if
the acts which are the subject of the conviction or admission occurred while
the alien was under the age of eighteen. Specifically excluded from such treatment, however, are convictions or admissions relating to drug
trafficking, importing/exporting, and manufacturing.

does anyone know if embassies follow this? or is this just an official thing?
Old Dec 30th 2009, 8:18 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

IMHO arrested in the US means you have to have charged levied against you. You can be taken to police headquarters for questions but that is not an arrest.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 8:40 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
You can be taken to police headquarters for questions but that is not an arrest.
Not against your will, you can't. (Well, not unless they claim you're a terrorist, that is!) Just ask: "Am I free to go?" If the answer is no, you're under arrest and they'd better damn well tell you what they're arresting you for and read you your rights.
Old Dec 31st 2009, 9:38 am
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

You can be detained without being arrested. This happens all the time for all sorts of reasons.

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Not against your will, you can't. (Well, not unless they claim you're a terrorist, that is!) Just ask: "Am I free to go?" If the answer is no, you're under arrest and they'd better damn well tell you what they're arresting you for and read you your rights.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.