Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

VWP - Border cross/re-entry via Mexico

Wikiposts

VWP - Border cross/re-entry via Mexico

Old Dec 22nd 2010, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

GlastoEls is on a distinguished road
Default Re: VWP - Border cross/re-entry via Mexico

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I feel that way about Uzbekistan.

Rene
I feel that way about Basingstoke!
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 12:19 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Destination LAX
I wouldn't be crossing the border with a rental car. I've gathered that there are alot of issues regarding that from what everone is saying I'm not really looking to do a cross country expedition, but just something simple, experience abit of Mexico, soak up some culture.

I think like meauxna said, just need to learn how things work over there, and be 'street' smart you could said. Sounds like a beautiful country. However, how bad is the drug-cartel conflict? From statistics and the news it seems very VERY bad, (35,000 murders since 2008? not sure when exactly) but then again, its a pretty big country with a large population (not to say thats ok!).
yeah, maybe start a thread when you're thinking about going and people can post about their Mexico experiences.. As far as the cartel thing it really depends on where you plan on going. And the numbers are shocking, si?
As I understand it, the problem is worst in the northern part of the country, around the border. That is why 'driving' raised a red flag. If it were someone flying to Cabo or the coast, I wouldn't even mention the cartel issue.

Happy Christmas and safe travels!

PS: everyone told me that about Colombia before I went there, so touche to your friend! We are thinking of going there this summer.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

Destination LAX is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
yeah, maybe start a thread when you're thinking about going and people can post about their Mexico experiences.. As far as the cartel thing it really depends on where you plan on going. And the numbers are shocking, si?
As I understand it, the problem is worst in the northern part of the country, around the border. That is why 'driving' raised a red flag. If it were someone flying to Cabo or the coast, I wouldn't even mention the cartel issue.

Happy Christmas and safe travels!

PS: everyone told me that about Colombia before I went there, so touche to your friend! We are thinking of going there this summer.
Si, the numbers are very shocking.

I'll start a thread like you said closer to the targeted date

Hopefully I'll get all the 'L.A.' arrangments sorted in the New Year

Gracias!

Colombia was in a pretty bad state about 20-30 years ago but it's picked itself up in recent years i've heard, as you have proberly witnessed.

PS: I'm also going to Colombia in the summer, maybe we'll cross tracks
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Extreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Destination LAX
However, how bad is the drug-cartel conflict? From statistics and the news it seems very VERY bad, (35,000 murders since 2008? not sure when exactly) but then again, its a pretty big country with a large population (not to say thats ok!).
Murder per capita:

From: http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...ers-per-capita

Mexico: 0.130213 per 1,000 people
US: 0.042802 per 1,000 people
UK: 0.0140633 per 1,000 people

If my math is correct....
You're about three time as likely to get murdered in Mexico as in the US.
You're also about three time as likely to get murdered in the US compared to the UK.

Crossing the border in about 7hrs!

Have a good holiday everyone!