Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

VWP - Border cross/re-entry via Mexico

VWP - Border cross/re-entry via Mexico

Old Dec 14th 2010, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

Destination LAX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default VWP - Border cross/re-entry via Mexico

Hi there, hows it going?

Just a quick question regarding my trip to L.A. in the spring.

My friend and I are travelling using the VWP to the US and are considering a short trip (if possible...) to Mexico.

Are there any restrictions regarding this? Does the VWP only allow travel in the stated country and becomes invalid once you leave the country and are there any alternatives/solutions?

Any help is grealty appreciated, take care.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 6:16 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VWP - Border cross/re-entry via Mexico

Going to Mexico will not reset your 90-day allowance but other than that I don't think it will have an effect - I'm sure the experts will confirm or correct this. My husband once took a day trip to Niagara Falls (Canada) while on the VWP and had no problems.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 6:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

This is correct. You can travel to Mexico and re-enter the USA, all within your allotted 90 days. Leave plenty of time for the trip to Mexico and time to get back into the USA before your flight out of the USA back home. You will not get the 90-day clock reset.

Rene
Old Dec 14th 2010, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

cdf85 is an unknown quantity at this point

The last time I went to the States I went on the VWP spent a week in the US, before going to Canada for 10 days then returning to the US for 3 days before I left for the UK. I didn't have any problems, in fact border control when I returned the US from Canada took about 2 mins.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Destination LAX
Hi there, hows it going?

My friend and I are travelling using the VWP to the US and are considering a short trip (if possible...) to Mexico.

Are there any restrictions regarding this? Does the VWP only allow travel in the stated country and becomes invalid once you leave the country and are there any alternatives/solutions?

Don't know where you're planning on going to in Mexico, but do some research regarding the safety if thinking of just travelling over the boarder near to the US...not good at the moment!
Old Dec 14th 2010, 7:28 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

The VWP considers travel in the region to all fall under your initial US admission (Mexico and Canada and any of the 'adjacent islands' will have their own separate entry requirements) so the 90 days admission you get at first entry to the US must cover all of your travel including Mexico.

You can't go to the US for 80 days, Mexico for 2 weeks and back into the US.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, hows it going?

Don't take a US rental car into Mexico without understanding the risks involved. If this was part of your plan, research it VERY CAREFULLY in advance.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 7:42 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Don't take a US rental car into Mexico without understanding the risks involved. If this was part of your plan, research it VERY CAREFULLY in advance.
+1
Old Dec 14th 2010, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, hows it going?

I did it twice, didn't have any problems. Be prepared for a long queue at the POE on the way back, if travelling by car, and make sure to check what the situation is like in the border areas, particularly in and around Tijuana.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Destination LAX is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a mill for the information. Greatly appreciate your time.

Regarding the USA VWP, you have to fill in the online ESTA form etc. before hand. Is there anything for Mexico or Canada? Or can I just turn up, and roll through.

I've passed through the Ukrainian border several times and sometimes they give you a form to fill in, sometimes they don't, however, theres a fair difference between Ukraine and Mexico

Just a quick question, I read in a book that in order to use the VWP you have to have a valid 10 year passport. I've never heard of this anywhere else. Maybe the book is dated i'm not sure, but will my 5-year passport be ok?

Thanks again everyone!
Old Dec 14th 2010, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

Note that Mexico is not a member of the Visa Waiver Program. I assume you are a UK citizen. You should check what UK citizens need to visit Mexico (visa, passport only, etc.). Also note that ESTA is just for visiting the US.

US citizens can visit Mexico with just a passport. I don't know about UK citizens.

- Eric S.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 9:58 pm

Thanks a mill for the information. Greatly appreciate your time.

Regarding the USA VWP, you have to fill in the online ESTA form etc. before hand. Is there anything for Mexico or Canada? Or can I just turn up, and roll through.

I've passed through the Ukrainian border several times and sometimes they give you a form to fill in, sometimes they don't, however, theres a fair difference between Ukraine and Mexico

Just a quick question, I read in a book that in order to use the VWP you have to have a valid 10 year passport. I've never heard of this anywhere else. Maybe the book is dated i'm not sure, but will my 5-year passport be ok?

Thanks again everyone!
You should probably get your facts online; a lot is changing and quickly, so books are less reliable.
The US State Dept is one source: Visa Waiver Program (VWP) and the people in charge of the border is another. This will explain the passport intricacies. Frequently Asked Questions about the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) and the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA)

Why do you have a 5-year passport?

For Mexico and Canada, you can review the required documentation from this reliable airline tool (I know!): http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...tion/index.jsp

Are you planning to drive in Mexico? It's no joke, it's quite unique. You also need special insurance if taking a US vehicle in.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Just curious – what are the risks involved?
Old Dec 15th 2010, 12:08 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric S
Note that Mexico is not a member of the Visa Waiver Program.
Neither is Canada. I'm just throwing this in since he asked about both countries!

Ian
Old Dec 15th 2010, 12:10 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
Just curious – what are the risks involved?
Well, being killed for one, when some drug cartel operative notices that you're driving a rental... perhaps a rental that he could use instead of you!

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.