VWP after J1

Old Aug 30th 2010, 5:51 am
Just Joined

jnrpablo is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile VWP after J1

Hi, any help greatly appreciated --

I'm in the U.S. and my J1 (WAT program) visa is expiring very soon....am I able to to fly out of the U.S. to Canada and re-enter the U.S. from Canada on a VWP?

thx.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 4:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VWP after J1

Originally Posted by jnrpablo
... am I able to to fly out of the U.S. to Canada and re-enter the U.S. from Canada on a VWP?
Yes, that should be possible. But you would only be allowed to remain in the US for a maximum of 90 days, and you would NOT be able to work. Further, if you have a valid J-1 in your passport, you will likely be questioned as to why you're not using it.

Ian
Old Aug 30th 2010, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes, that should be possible. But you would only be allowed to remain in the US for a maximum of 90 days, and you would NOT be able to work. Further, if you have a valid J-1 in your passport, you will likely be questioned as to why you're not using it.

Ian
But will I be able to re-enter from Canada on the VWP if my J1 has expired whilst in Canada?
Old Aug 30th 2010, 5:35 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

But will I be able to re-enter from Canada on the VWP if my J1 has expired whilst in Canada?
Well, assuming you're allowed into Canada in the first place (what with your visa about to expire)... if your J-1 expires while you're outside the US, the VWP may be the only way you'll be able to re-enter the US. My question is... to what end? If your J-1 is expired, then once you enter the US you can't do anything that is J-1 related... and you can't do it on the VWP either! So... to what end?

Ian
Old Aug 30th 2010, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Well, assuming you're allowed into Canada in the first place (what with your visa about to expire)... if your J-1 expires while you're outside the US, the VWP may be the only way you'll be able to re-enter the US. My question is... to what end? If your J-1 is expired, then once you enter the US you can't do anything that is J-1 related... and you can't do it on the VWP either! So... to what end?

Ian
Holiday related because I didn't have much chances to while I was working on the J1. This ok?
Old Aug 30th 2010, 6:09 pm
A I
not even a fake TV lawyer

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

There is generally a 30 day grace period for J-1 visas... you may not have to leave to accomplish what you want...

I have seen this mentioned may places... here's one:

http://www.miami.edu/index.php/stude...s_maintenance/

I once held a J-2 (My dad was the J-1) and my family and I made use of such a period (13 years ago or so...)

I would encourage you to check with your J-1 program manager, or brief appointment with immigration lawyer to ensure this applies to you if you are unsure. I strongly suggest you verify these facts independently for your peace of mind.

Question for you: Is your I-94 stamped with D/S as the "Admitted Until" date??
Old Aug 30th 2010, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by A I
There is generally a 30 day grace period for J-1 visas... you may not have to leave to accomplish what you want...

I have seen this mentioned may places... here's one:

http://www.miami.edu/index.php/stude...s_maintenance/

I once held a J-2 (My dad was the J-1) and my family and I made use of such a period (13 years ago or so...)

I would encourage you to check with your J-1 program manager, or brief appointment with immigration lawyer to ensure this applies to you if you are unsure. I strongly suggest you verify these facts independently for your peace of mind.

Question for you: Is your I-94 stamped with D/S as the "Admitted Until" date??
For the record, I'm in the grace period right now.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 7:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

For the record, I'm in the grace period right now.
Yesterday you said your visa is expiring "very soon". Did it expire yesterday? How can you be in the grace period right now, if your visa is due to expire "very soon"?

Rene
Old Aug 30th 2010, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yesterday you said your visa is expiring "very soon". Did it expire yesterday? How can you be in the grace period right now, if your visa is due to expire "very soon"?

Rene
confusion on my part. Apologies.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:05 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Leaving at the end of a J-1, and coming back under the VWP to visit is not uncommon. If you fly, be sure to apply for the ESTA ASAP.

You should not attempt this unless you have a plane ticket/reservation home (for a reasonable amount of time) to show them when you seek to come back to the US.

Also, be aware that if you don't leave before the 30 day grace period is up you fall out of status. If you then attempt to depart and Canada doesn't allow you in, you will probably find yourself in a heap of trouble
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by crg
Leaving at the end of a J-1, and coming back under the VWP to visit is not uncommon. If you fly, be sure to apply for the ESTA ASAP.

You should not attempt this unless you have a plane ticket/reservation home (for a reasonable amount of time) to show them when you seek to come back to the US.

Also, be aware that if you don't leave before the 30 day grace period is up you fall out of status. If you then attempt to depart and Canada doesn't allow you in, you will probably find yourself in a heap of trouble
I'm in the U.S. right now...I'm thinking about buying a return ticket, and coming back on that return ticket in 5 weeks time. Would there be problems if I didn't have a return ticket upon entering the U.S. when I come back? I fully intend to return to Australia, it's just that a return flight SYD-LA is the same price as one way..
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the U.S. right now...I'm thinking about buying a return ticket, and coming back on that return ticket in 5 weeks time. Would there be problems if I didn't have a return ticket upon entering the U.S. when I come back? I fully intend to return to Australia, it's just that a return flight SYD-LA is the same price as one way..
AFAIK most if not all airlines will not let you board a flight to the US if you do not have either US citizenship/US visa/return ticket home. If you are lucky and manage to fly to the US without a return ticket...your next stop will be the US immigration officer.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
AFAIK most if not all airlines will not let you board a flight to the US if you do not have either US citizenship/US visa/return ticket home. If you are lucky and manage to fly to the US without a return ticket...your next stop will be the US immigration officer.
This might put me in a bit of a pickle..can anyone verify this?
Old Sep 1st 2010, 7:28 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

This might put me in a bit of a pickle..can anyone verify this?
A return/onward ticket is a requirement for using the VWP.. see cbp.gov for details on the VWP.

Last edited by meauxna; Sep 1st 2010 at 7:28 pm. Reason: add 'onward'
Old Sep 1st 2010, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

refundable tickets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.