voting and citizenship

Old Oct 31st 2007, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

cubsfan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default voting and citizenship

Hello Friends,
My friend wants to apply for citizenship ,but some time ago she had only registered to vote in another state by mistake.But SHE DID NOT Vote...will that have any impact on her application for citizenship.would welcome any suggestions.
Cubs.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 12:56 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: voting and citizenship

Originally Posted by cubsfan
Hello Friends,
My friend wants to apply for citizenship ,but some time ago she had only registered to vote in another state by mistake.But SHE DID NOT Vote...will that have any impact on her application for citizenship.would welcome any suggestions.
Cubs.
She should see an immigration attorney.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 2:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Friends,
Cubs.

There are serious repercussions for attesting to being a US Citizen when you are not; i.e. deportation, etc.

You friend attested to her US Citizenship as per the following when she registered to vote.

I swear/affirm that:

I am a United States citizen.

I meet the </B>eligibility requirements of my state and subscribe to any oath required.
The information I have provided is true to the best of my knowledge under penalty of perjury. If I have provided false information, I may be fined, imprisoned, or (if not a U.S. citizen) deported from or refused entry to the United States.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

Rete,
Thanks I will let her know about this
Old Oct 31st 2007, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

Thanks
Old Oct 31st 2007, 5:18 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

A read of http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297404 may be interesting. However, she went one step further and did vote. Note that they're talking about a 9th Circuit decision.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 5:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

depends on the state, some states do allow LPR's to vote, for local things at least as is up in maine....but a lawyer is probably the way to go.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 7:02 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Friends,
Cubs.
I think it can depend on the policy of her District, how long ago she registered and what she did about it when she discovered her mistake.

Find a decent lawyer in the area who is familiar with the practices of the DO.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 6:03 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Friends,
Cubs.
Hi:

I see that you have already been referred to the McDonald v Gonzales case. The decision in McDonald did not actually involve the naturalization application [although we argued that the naturalization application should have bee completed first before removal was instituted -- the court did not address or accept that argument].

Unlawful voting per se is NOT a bar to naturalization.
But being placed in removal proceedings IS a bar to naturalization.

These cases are fact specific. What I DO recommend is that the naturalization application not be filed until seven years have elapsed since admission to naturalization, and perhaps seven years after the last instance of registration or voting.

BTW, I have an N-400 going right now where my client was registered to vote during a campus "get out the vote" drive. The young lady was quite fetching and wearing a very revealing tank-top. My client wanted her phone number. He never voted and he canceled the registration when he was summoned to jury duty.

We had to execute a declaration under penalty of perjury at the interview. The DAO smiled and asked "Did she give you her phone number?" These cases are subjected to upper level review and we are still waiting. I'm not particularly worried on this one.