Volunteering....

Old May 17th 2009, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

robb2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Volunteering....

.....I have been thinking about volunterring to work with Children in the UK as I have already done this in the past.
However now I have a caution for arson not endangering life, I have mentioned this before in another thread.

Would this make me less employable or prevent me from working with children all together, as I say it is a caution and not a conviction.
I would appreciate some advice if anybody knows anything about it.
Also I plan to work in the business world when I leave uni, would this caution be a serious impediment on my career plans?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old May 17th 2009, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

themellings is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Volunteering....

Hi

You should look at this link on the rehabilitation of offenders act - it has a section related to cautions :

http://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/rehabact.htm

Cautions are not regarded in the same way as convictions - but I am not sure if they would appear on CRB check - which you would have to have done if you wish to work with children or vulnerable people.

Denise
Old May 17th 2009, 6:09 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

Cautions will appear on a CRB check if an enhanced check is completed by the organisation, as is likely to be the case if you will be working with children.

Many employers will consider the reason for the conviction / caution on any individual's record, before deciding whether you can work/ volunteer with them. You should be aware that some organisations have exemption under the rehabiliation of offenders act, and so have the right to discriminate (for want of a better word) and refuse employment to those with expired and unexpired convictions. Not sure if this is also the case with cautions or not, but chances are they would be allowed to do so here too.

I know I have hired people with convictions who go on to work with children/ vulnerable adults, where I have taken into consideration what the offence was, whether it related to the role they were required to do, and how long ago it was.

Best thing to do is be upfront and honest with the organisation about your caution, rather than having them find out through the CRB check. Hope this helps.

This goes for employment as well as volunteering.

Last edited by Chrissywissy100; May 17th 2009 at 6:16 pm.
Old May 18th 2009, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of

Definitely agree with disclosing the conviction and the situation behind it, I used to work for a charity in the UK which asked for CRB checks on all volunteers and it was my job to determine the risk of taking someone on with a criminal record. We used to look more favourably on those who had disclosed their conviction (to a point) rather than those who had just kept their fingers crossed that it wouldn't come up.

They will take into account various things such as what the offence was (ie was it violent, sex crime, against a child, drugs related) how long ago the offence was, how old you were, whether you have any other convictions and what the background to the offence was.

So I wouldn't say it would be a bar to working with kids but you must be prepared to explain the situation to potential employers.
Old May 20th 2009, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

robb2002 is an unknown quantity at this point

I spoke to the police and they have said I don't have a criminal record just a simple caution if that is the case then why would it show up? I understand why it has to, but if it doesnt create a criminal record or act as a conviction then what is a caution??? Surely if it was that bad I would have been taken to court? A cuation is a formal, written telling off I believe?
I know this sounds strange but since I have received the caution I have have wanted to work/volunteer with children again a lot more as I feel I have had the privelledge possibly taken away.
I have attempted to fill out one form but it says 'Please state in confidence any convictions' shall I put 'No convictions but a caution for.....?'
I am sooooo confused.
I also want to help volunteer abroad next year and I think that is may jeopordise that. I would prefer like India, South Africa, Costa Rica etc.

Last edited by robb2002; May 20th 2009 at 8:29 pm. Reason: I write phonetically sometimes!!!
Old May 20th 2009, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

d_woo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robb2002
I spoke to the police and they have said I don't have a criminal record just a simple caution if that is the case then why would it show up? I understand why it has to, but if it doesnt create a criminal record or act as a conviction then what is a caution??? Surely if it was that bad I would have been taken to court? A cuation is a formal, written telling off I believe?
I know this sounds strange but since I have received the caution I have have wanted to work/volunteer with children again a lot more as I feel I have had the privelledge possibly taken away.
I have attempted to fill out one form but it says 'Please state in confidence any convictions' shall I put 'No convictions but a caution for.....?'
I am sooooo confused.
I also want to help volunteer abroad next year and I think that is may jeopordise that. I would prefer like India, South Africa, Costa Rica etc.

from my basic knowledge, it's better to declare than to have it come back on a CRB check. A lot of employers will consider your circumstances individually and decide wether you pose a risk. hope you get to do the volunteering you want to do
Old May 21st 2009, 1:25 am
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by robb2002
I am sooooo confused.

I know from experience (from screening and reviewing, and making employment decisions based on individuals standard and enhanced CRB disclosures) that although technically a caution isn't a criminal record, it will appear on an enhanced CRB check, so best to dislose this to the potential employer/ organisation. This would be looked on in a more favourable light.

So yes, I would write that in the interest ff full disclosure, although you have no criminal record, you were given a caution on DATE for OFFENCE.

You think that non disclosure of your caution may jepordise your opportunities, but failure to dislose may be seen as lying by omission, and would make you appear very untrustworthy.