VOLUNTARY DEPARTURE + VALID F1

Old Aug 14th 2002, 8:25 pm
Helping Afriend

Default VOLUNTARY DEPARTURE + VALID F1

Hello: I am asking this question for a friend. Here is his situation: Worked after
graduation on F1 visa (OPT) Changed to H1B Was laid Off Reverted back to OPT(F1) Got
a job with a company Started working with just H1 Receipt( Portability does not
apply) Got arrested and agreed to Voluntary departure

He has a still valid F1 on his passport, his university gave him a new I-20.

Is it as simple for him as to just leave the country , to comply with the volunatry
departure, and come back? Or will the INS not let him back in even though he has a
valid F1 and a valid I-20?

Thank you

Old Aug 15th 2002, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

mailmena is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: VOLUNTARY DEPARTURE + VALID F1

Originally posted by Helping Afriend:
Hello: I am asking this question for a friend. Here is his situation: Worked after
graduation on F1 visa (OPT) Changed to H1B Was laid Off Reverted back to OPT(F1) Got
a job with a company Started working with just H1 Receipt( Portability does not
apply) Got arrested and agreed to Voluntary departure

He has a still valid F1 on his passport, his university gave him a new I-20.

Is it as simple for him as to just leave the country , to comply with the volunatry
departure, and come back? Or will the INS not let him back in even though he has a
valid F1 and a valid I-20?

Thank you
Best that your friend find a good immigration lawyer. I don't think he can change back from H1 to F1 just by having valid I-20 and F1 visa. Did your friend file change of status papers? Looks like he's done with school (having OPT).
Regardless of that if he's been arrested and already agreed to leave he definitely would want a lawyer.
Old Aug 18th 2002, 12:55 pm
Amer20034

Default Re: VOLUNTARY DEPARTURE + VALID F1

mailmena [email protected] wrote:

>I don't think he can change back from H1 to F1 just by having valid I-20 and
F1 visa.

Some foreigners think that since the letter H looks like the letter F, it should be
easy to alter the visa by moving the bottom left corner of H to the top, and erasing
the right side of H, H will now look like an F.