Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Visitors visa extension question - Please reply immediately.

Visitors visa extension question - Please reply immediately.

Old Sep 26th 2001, 8:50 pm
Vamsee Koppala

Hello, I have applied for extension of my parents visitors visa and I received the
Receipt Number from INS (I have applied with I539 form). I heard it will take few
months for processing. Now their I94 and visa are getting expired. Can they legally
stay here until they get reply for approval or deniel of their extension. Please let
me know if anybody has faced this situation. They initiall came here on 6 months visa
and I applied for extension of another 6 months.

I will really appreciate your response, Thanks, Vamsee.

Old Sep 27th 2001, 4:58 am
Shelley

Yes, the receipt is proof they filed for the extension and they are legal to remain
in the US pending the approval or denial of their extension. However - it is
reported that some service centers are taking almost a year to process these
requests. In this case your parents should only remain in the US for the additional
6 months they requested, even if they don't receive the approval before they leave.
Take Care. Shelley

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 27th 2001, 4:18 pm
Vamsee Koppala

Thanks a lot, for your precious information.

"Shelley" <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Hello, I have applied for extension of my parents visitors visa and I received[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the Receipt Number from INS (I have applied with I539 form). I heard it will take[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > few months for processing. Now their I94 and visa are getting expired. Can they[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > legally stay here until they get reply for approval or deniel of their extension.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Please let me know if anybody has faced this situation. They initiall came here[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > on 6 months visa and I applied for extension of another 6 months.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I will really appreciate your response, Thanks, Vamsee.[/usenetquote2]