Visitor to Married

Old Jul 18th 2005, 4:02 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Visitor to Married

Hi everyone,

After reading lots of different threads, I am a teeny bit concerned that we may have made a boo boo. I came to the US on an I-95 VWP and married Bob before I was due to go back. We had no clue that the process for me to stay would be so complicated (we naively assumed that love conquers all, how stupid were we???) We filed I-130, I-485 etc on 11th July, are we going to be "in trouble" for marrying without asking permission first???

Thanks for your help
Old Jul 18th 2005, 4:06 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visitor to Married

Originally Posted by Kate2112
Hi everyone,

After reading lots of different threads, I am a teeny bit concerned that we may have made a boo boo. I came to the US on an I-95 VWP and married Bob before I was due to go back. We had no clue that the process for me to stay would be so complicated (we naively assumed that love conquers all, how stupid were we???) We filed I-130, I-485 etc on 11th July, are we going to be "in trouble" for marrying without asking permission first???

Thanks for your help
Big mistake .. you should have married Peter.. Bob could be a problem ...

If you did not arrive with the intent of marriage.. your pretty safe ..ish..
Love has nothing to with it ..
PS.. its an I-94
Old Jul 18th 2005, 4:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kate2112
Hi everyone,

are we going to be "in trouble" for marrying without asking permission first???

Thanks for your help
Asking the bride's father first is I think still a good idea, but I doubt in this day and age most would get that upset if you have not.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 5:30 pm
AussieSteve

No problemo, so long as you didn't *intend* to stay here when you
arrived under the VWP. You are the only one who can answer that
question (hint: the answer is NO)

When the time comes, you will no doubt be asked why you did things this
way, just remember, coming to the US without any intent to stay
permanently, then getting married, then filing for LPR is no crime, or
grounds for dismissal of your case, but it may raise some eyebrows at
the USCIS.

Good luck!

Old Jul 18th 2005, 5:32 pm
AussieSteve

BTW, hopefully you purchased a return ticket when you made your last
trip. You should keep the return ticket as a small token of 'proof'
that you didn't intend to stay, as well as some documentation showing
that you had compelling reasons to return 'home' when you entered the
US.

Old Jul 18th 2005, 5:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by AussieSteve
BTW, hopefully you purchased a return ticket when you made your last
trip. You should keep the return ticket as a small token of 'proof'
that you didn't intend to stay, as well as some documentation showing
that you had compelling reasons to return 'home' when you entered the
US.
You have to have a return ticket to use the VWP.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
You have to have a return ticket to use the VWP.
Or an onward ticket. And that's only when entering by air. The OP didn't say how they entered.

Elaine
Old Jul 18th 2005, 6:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by HunterGreen
Or an onward ticket. And that's only when entering by air. The OP didn't say how they entered.

Elaine
Well she did not swim.

Maybe the QE2?

I think anything else not involving an airplane would have required a B2.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

More likely the QM2.

Maybe she walked across the border from Canada, or hopscotch from Mexico...

Old Jul 18th 2005, 9:04 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

AS,

Minor point of clarification - as a practical matter, the USCIS is the one who answers this question. They may ask Kate about it, but they won't necessarily accept what she has to say.

And therein lies the difficulty.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by AussieSteve
No problemo, so long as you didn't *intend* to stay here when you arrived under the VWP. You are the only one who can answer that question (hint: the answer is NO)

When the time comes, you will no doubt be asked why you did things this
way, just remember, coming to the US without any intent to stay
permanently, then getting married, then filing for LPR is no crime, or
grounds for dismissal of your case, but it may raise some eyebrows at
the USCIS.

Good luck!
Old Jul 18th 2005, 9:12 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Well she did not swim.
Maybe the QE2?
I think anything else not involving an airplane would have required a B2.
You cracked it Dave .... thats where the I-95 came from
Form I-95 (Crewman's Landing Permit) shows the date you arrived in the United States and the "Admitted Until" date
Old Jul 18th 2005, 11:16 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
You cracked it Dave .... thats where the I-95 came from
Form I-95 (Crewman's Landing Permit) shows the date you arrived in the United States and the "Admitted Until" date

If it's a C1/D (Crewman's) visa rather than VWP (as OP originally stated) or B1/2, she *cannot* normally adjust status. It's one of the exceptions.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 11:20 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

fatbrit,

I may be misunderstanding what you wrote, but it is quite possible to adjust status from a B1 or a B2.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by fatbrit
If it's a C1/D (Crewman's) visa rather than VWP (as OP originally stated) or B1/2, she *cannot* normally adjust status. It's one of the exceptions.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 11:21 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
fatbrit,

I may be misunderstanding what you wrote, but it is quite possible to adjust status from a B1 or a B2.

Regards, JEff

Yep -- but not from a C1/D Crewman's.

S'ppose I could have written it a little clearer. My bad!!!
Old Jul 18th 2005, 11:34 pm
Septicity

Looked it up on the web and seems it could be the crewman's C1/D since she would be issued an I95 rather than an I94 (unless it's a typo?).

In that case, she has big, big problems and needs a lawyer or bag pack super pronto!

Kate:
What exactly is written/stamped/attached to your passport?
When did you enter?
How did you enter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.