Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Visiting U.S.A; ESTA Only Needed, or Visa too? (British Passport.)

Visiting U.S.A; ESTA Only Needed, or Visa too? (British Passport.)

Old May 8th 2009, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

Volvagia is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Visiting U.S.A; ESTA Only Needed, or Visa too? (British Passport.)

Hi there, this is my first time ever posting on these forums, so forgive me if I've misplaced this and it belongs somewhere else, or if my question doesn't belong here, but I don't know where else to go for all of this.

I'm going to visiting the United States on the 30th of June 2009 to the 30th of July 2009, this will be my first time visiting the United States, I've renewed my passport and was about to book my flight on netflights when they mentioned this website for the ESTA; Click Here For ESTA Website it Linked Me To - I've seen a few ESTA websites lurking around the internet, and wasn't sure which one to use, I was afraid of general scams as a few of them seem to be asking me for a fee for an application, which I can understand, but when money is involved, you always have a right to be suspicious.

What I want to know is if I, a citizen born and raised in the United Kingdom with a UK Passport fully up-to-date, will need anything other than the ESTA confirmation, I've read a few things, but I can't seem to find a straight yes or no answer. I'm afraid to just go with someones opinion incase I get off the flight in San Fransisco and find that I'm in quite a situation because I didn't do enough research... so... I'm in a bit of a pickle, and need some help with my situation.

What exactly do I need being the UK citizen that I am with a UK Passport, besides the obvious flight ticket and my passport, is it just the ESTA, or is it going to be a more pains taking process?

Thank-you for trying to help me whomever responds. ^_^

Last edited by meauxna; May 9th 2009 at 12:01 am.
Old May 9th 2009, 12:00 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting U.S.A; ESTA Only Needed, or Visa too? (British Passport.)

Hi there, that is the official ESTA site. The cpb part and dot gov part assure you so.
There *are* a lot of fee-charging sites out there! grrr

You need your ESTA clearance, a passport that meets current standards and you will complete an I-94W green card on the flight (the attendants will pass them out). The I-94W will repeat much of the ESTA information.. the cards will go away soon so don't think we're freaks for asking the same info again.

The border agent will mark your I-94W card and put it in your passport; save that until you depart and you hand it back in. Make sure to leave by the date the officer writes on the card.

You don't need a visa, you are traveling under the VWP/Visa Waiver Program. The need for a visa has been 'waived'.

Otherwise, you're good to go, document-wise! Oh, have a return flight booked.

Where are you going to visit? Have a great time!
Old May 9th 2009, 12:08 am
Just Joined

Volvagia is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah, I see.
A quick question, this may seem silly but I can imagine the ESTA website being more enclyned to allow someone who has already booked their flight through rather than someone who hasn't booked yet; so my question is; should I book my flight THEN apply for the ESTA? I'm not aware of how rare it is for them to say no to people/deny people access if they meet the requirements.

Sort of nervous about applying. Especially if I got denied after I booked. I don't understand why I would get denied though as I meet the criteria it mentions on the website itself, and having a british passport, and the UK itself is under the waiver, I don't see any problems with the application, but like I said; I'm being incredibly cautious, I just want nothing to go wrong, especially when your half way around the world away from home.
Old May 9th 2009, 12:22 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Volvagia
Ah, I see.
A quick question, this may seem silly but I can imagine the ESTA website being more enclyned to allow someone who has already booked their flight through rather than someone who hasn't booked yet; so my question is; should I book my flight THEN apply for the ESTA? I'm not aware of how rare it is for them to say no to people/deny people access if they meet the requirements.

Sort of nervous about applying. Especially if I got denied after I booked. I don't understand why I would get denied though as I meet the criteria it mentions on the website itself, and having a british passport, and the UK itself is under the waiver, I don't see any problems with the application, but like I said; I'm being incredibly cautious, I just want nothing to go wrong, especially when your half way around the world away from home.
I'll try to explain ESTA from what I know... first off, it's fairly brand new which is why you don't see much posted around about it.

The VWP program has been in place for years. By agreement, member countries can have tourist visits without a visa (visas require applications and fees).
Now that everyone wants more security, the US gov't wants to run the names through a preclearance to make sure that people who DO travel visa free, should be traveling visa free.
Instead of asking you the questions at arrival (via that green card), they ask them of you ahead of time. Your name may be checked against a criminal database or against previous immigration violations db. They're not exactly telling us all the details.

So really, nothing has changed. You are making the exact same 'application' that you would have before ESTA. It's just that now, someone is checking your answers before you get on the plane.

There is no harm in applying now. Your clearance is valid for 2 years IIRC. If you meet the requirements, you pass. If you do not, you do not. If you do not meet the criteria, you probably already know it.. you've never traveled to the US, so you don't have any past violations to worry about. The other questions are about your criminal history.
You can read more about the program, including the questions the website form will ask, here: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/esta/

I understand your nervousness, it's normal. Here is a sample of the I-94W where you can read the questions. http://www.immihelp.com/visas/i-94w.html

If you are worried about being denied, it's because one of those questions applies to you. If so, post back. Otherwise, you're just worrying. But go ahead and do the ESTA form before you pay for your ticket, if it will make you feel better. I'd probably do it that way, even if I *knew* I was perfectly admissible.

I forgot one form.. you'll be given a Customs declaration to complete on the flight too. First you go through Immigration, then get your luggage and go through Customs. It's really like visiting anywhere else, unless you've only been inside the EU, in which case, there's more questions.
Old May 9th 2009, 1:50 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Volvagia
I can imagine the ESTA website being more enclyned to allow someone who has already booked their flight through rather than someone who hasn't booked yet
No... it doesn't matter. ESTA clearance is good for 2 years from the date you do the online thing, so you can do the ESTA first, feel good that you're okay to travel, and then book your tickets. ESTA is very general... it assumes only that you're travelling at some point in the future - it really doesn't care when that might be.

Don't worry... for every story you hear about someone having problems, there are many thousands who have no problems at all... so as long as you've never had any problems with the police, you'll be just fine!

Ian
Old May 9th 2009, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

interestingly we were issued with a newer version of the I94 visa WAIVER on the plane over last weds.

they have reworded a couple of questions and then added
12. City where visa was issued
13. date of issue of visa

very confusing seeing its a visa waiver.....

the FAs told us to leave blank which we did with no problem
Old May 9th 2009, 2:16 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

As Ian says, the ESTA is valid for 2 years from the application approval OR until your passport expires if that date is sooner than the 2 years. i.e. my daughters ESTA is only valid until November, which gave her a 9 month ESTA because November is when her passport expires.

Maggie
Old May 9th 2009, 3:02 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday
interestingly we were issued with a newer version of the I94 visa WAIVER on the plane over last weds.

they have reworded a couple of questions and then added
12. City where visa was issued
13. date of issue of visa

very confusing seeing its a visa waiver.....

the FAs told us to leave blank which we did with no problem
The government screwed up the I-94 forms, but are still using them for some reason. Maybe they ordered too many to throw them out. There are also white forms out there that mention section 217 which relates to the VWP.

I wonder which government employee dropped the ball when they approved them.
Old May 10th 2009, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

snowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to allsnowguy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by meauxna
Your name may be checked against a criminal database or against previous immigration violations db. They're not exactly telling us all the details.
They actually issued a "Privacy Impact Assessment for the Electronic System for Travel Authorization" dated June 2nd 2008 which stated under

'Describe all the uses of information' (Page 9)

"Run the applicant’s data against Terrorist Screening Database (TSDB) biographical records, Interpol lost and stolen passport stolen passport records and visa revocations to determine whether the applicant poses a law enforcement or security risk "

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/p...a_cbp_esta.pdf

as well as TECS Treasury Enforcement Communications System (presumably for wanted persons)

Last edited by snowguy; May 10th 2009 at 10:23 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 11:18 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowguy
They actually issued a "Privacy Impact Assessment for the Electronic System for Travel Authorization" dated June 2nd 2008 which stated under

'Describe all the uses of information' (Page 9)

"Run the applicant’s data against Terrorist Screening Database (TSDB) biographical records, Interpol lost and stolen passport stolen passport records and visa revocations to determine whether the applicant poses a law enforcement or security risk "

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/p...a_cbp_esta.pdf

as well as TECS Treasury Enforcement Communications System (presumably for wanted persons)
Hi:

You give an incomplete list -- read on to the end -- especially who they can share information with.