Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Visas - what rules would you change?

Visas - what rules would you change?

Old Mar 11th 2013, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all
Default Re: Visas - what rules would you change?

Originally Posted by Steve_
First thing I'd do is make the application for a visa a single-step process, instead of this nonsense of applying to USCIS and then USCIS passes it onto the NVC run by the State Dept. Then you have to apply separately for a visa. It's crazy, just have one application form, one background check, send in your passport at the correct time, get the visa.
This seems like a good idea?!
Old Mar 11th 2013, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Oh no! It's top secret and you will just have to inspect both sides of your GC very closely to see all the interesting details!
Ha !

I actually just did a Google image search and had a look at the card. I notice there is a fingerprint on it. At what point will my fingerprints be taken? When I show up at the border with my immigrant visa?
Old Mar 11th 2013, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Interview? Border? I don't remember, had my fingerprints taken too many times.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 9:06 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen
Ha !

I actually just did a Google image search and had a look at the card. I notice there is a fingerprint on it. At what point will my fingerprints be taken? When I show up at the border with my immigrant visa?
They might take them at your visa interview; for sure they take one digit fingerprint at the POE. I'm guessing it's the POE fingerprint that gets manufactured on the GC, if you're coming on an Immigrant Visa.

If you're coming on a K-1, the fingerprint will be taken via a Biometrics appointment after filing AOS.

Here's a hint....when you get your plastic GC in the mail, use a magnifying glass to look carefully at the border on the back of the card.

Rene
Old Mar 11th 2013, 9:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Scrap all the bizarre family-based immigration categories ...
Just to make sure, you're talking about the family-based categories such as children, sons & daughters (married and unmarried), sibling, and parent? So the only family-based immigration categories would be for spouse and fiance(e)?

I guess I'm having a hard time defining which ones are "bizarre". LOL

and parents of US citizens would no longer be in the "immediately available" category.
But would they have a category at all, in your new rules? But not a visa number immediately available?

Rene
Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:01 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD
What info is on the GC? I don't have one (yet! ), so I'm curious.
Probably the cost of the time (including overheads) required to process the application, including checking the immigrant's file. A green card is a valuable item, I don't think they're sent out casually.
With the new fee, USCIS have put a price of $165 on issuing a GC. What accounts for the difference between that and the ca. $400 cited by Slummymummy to replace a lost or stolen card?
Regards, JEff
Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slummymummy
Just before the financial crisis. Maybe it was an upward trend that was killed off by the financial crisis that started in 2008.
The spike was due to US immigration raising the fees and people frantically filing prior to the fee increase.

Ian
Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:07 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

In actual fact it's called the Arrival/Departure Record. It has two (2) sections - the Arrival Record and the Departure Record.

Regards, JEff

In fact it's called a "departure record"
Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

How about someone say: "Yes slummymummy I agree with you, 400+ bucks does seem like quite a lot"... That will be when hell freezes over! lol
Old Mar 12th 2013, 12:14 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

They might take them at your visa interview; for sure they take one digit fingerprint at the POE. I'm guessing it's the POE fingerprint that gets manufactured on the GC, if you're coming on an Immigrant Visa.

If you're coming on a K-1, the fingerprint will be taken via a Biometrics appointment after filing AOS.

Here's a hint....when you get your plastic GC in the mail, use a magnifying glass to look carefully at the border on the back of the card.

Rene
Never looked that close till now. There seem to be umbrellas as a border, and some writing I can't read till I find a magnifying glass.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 12:22 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

How about someone say: "Yes slummymummy I agree with you, 400+ bucks does seem like quite a lot"... That will be when hell freezes over! lol
Me. It's about the same cost as applying in the first place (AOS). When I saw the cost, years ago, I definitely decided to be careful not to lose it. That said, it is just in my wallet with everything else, and today was the first time I got it out for over 3 years (mortgage application). Yes I know how that sonds.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 12:23 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Just to make sure, you're talking about the family-based categories such as children, sons & daughters (married and unmarried), sibling, and parent? So the only family-based immigration categories would be for spouse and fiance(e)?

I guess I'm having a hard time defining which ones are "bizarre". LOL

But would they have a category at all, in your new rules? But not a visa number immediately available?

Rene
Canada seems to find it quite acceptable to exclude adult children and siblings from sponsorship in their immigration system.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

RICH - what, you agree with me?! You made my day...

(When my GC got stolen and I thought I had to pay $450 to replace it I went cold inside and was fighting back tears. That is a lot of money, like a vacation or something! Luckily I didn't have to but I feel awful for those who do.)
Old Mar 12th 2013, 12:31 am
BE Irregular

RICH - what, you agree with me?! You made my day...

(When my GC got stolen and I thought I had to pay $450 to replace it I went cold inside and was fighting back tears. That is a lot of money, like a vacation or something! Luckily I didn't have to but I feel awful for those who do.)
Yes I do, but I am often wrong
Old Mar 12th 2013, 5:52 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

This seems like a good idea?!
It's how it's done in Canada, fill in the application form, send it in with the fee, they process it, call you in for an interview if needed, if not you just send in your passport when they send you a letter and they issue the visa.

One agency, one form, one fee.

(Not that CIC can't be an enormous PITA but at least it's a single PITA).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.