Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Visas - what rules would you change?

Visas - what rules would you change?

Old Mar 7th 2013, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all
Default Re: Visas - what rules would you change?

Did they ask you at the interview about when you entered and what your intentions were? And what did you say? (just curious) I can imagine you must have been stressed out!

Forgot to say, sorry about your dad... Good that you were able to go and see him.

Waiting time for K-1 and CR-1 are about 8-10 months. I don't understand why! It's crazy really! Employ some more people ffs. If it was a short waiting time then I don't think as many people would abuse the VWP-marriage-AOS route. It would (mostly) only be genuine cases like yourself who really had no intention to stay.

Immigration can be cruel! But yes I know we make our own choices. At least us adults.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

LinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really nice

A little off topic, but as we're talking about kids growing up in the US, the BBC ran a documentary a few days ago about America's poor kids. Thought it was a great watch (if you've got VPN and can access iPlayer in the US).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...cas_Poor_Kids/
Old Mar 7th 2013, 11:12 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slummymummy
Did they ask you at the interview about when you entered and what your intentions were? And what did you say? (just curious) I can imagine you must have been stressed out!

Forgot to say, sorry about your dad... Good that you were able to go and see him.

Waiting time for K-1 and CR-1 are about 8-10 months. I don't understand why! It's crazy really! Employ some more people ffs. If it was a short waiting time then I don't think as many people would abuse the VWP-marriage-AOS route. It would (mostly) only be genuine cases like yourself who really had no intention to stay.

Immigration can be cruel! But yes I know we make our own choices. At least us adults.
Thanks about Dad - it certainly wasn't what I was expecting when I went back to the UK for those 2 weeks

They didn't actually ask about what my intentions were, but they did ask when did I arrive this time and if the marriage date was a significant one for us, which I think would have rung alarm bells if we had said it did. When they asked about the date, it came out then that my husband had been going through a very long and difficult separation agreement with no divorce date in sight and when suddenly it all fell into place and we thought - we can get married - well I think it was obvious that no planning had happened. We also could give receipts to show we brought my dress the day before and the flowers that morning!!!! Not prepared at all....
Old Mar 7th 2013, 11:41 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Simple answer? Stop and think for a minute why waiting times are what they are, and what it would take to shorten them.

Regards, JEff

The simple answer seems to be to make the waiting time a lot shorter for K-1 and CR-1 visas!
Old Mar 8th 2013, 12:04 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Waiting time for K-1 and CR-1 are about 8-10 months. I don't understand why!
Because there are so many cases in line ahead of yours.

Employ some more people...
Then the immigration fees would go up even more.

Rene
Old Mar 8th 2013, 12:28 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

These people have invested into the US economy, employed US people, worked very hard (often anyway), yet they can't get green cards ever.
These people knew what they were getting themselves into. Their choice.

I would not allow someone to enter on VWP, get married and apply for AOS, even if they genuinly had no intent of doing so.
I agree with this.

The only possible exception would be for those who have already seriously overstayed and would risk a big ban...
There should be no exceptions. They chose to overstay... and they should live with the consequences of that decision.

If a USC petitioner and a non-USC spouse or fiance(e) have a biological child together, they should be given priority or maybe a separate category KID-1.
I disagree. Once someone is given priority because of a life situation, you end up discriminating against everyone else. It's the beginning of the slippery slope.

Could this ever be allowed?
I don't know about "could"... but it "should" be allowed. I really, really hope that DOMA will be ruled unconstitutional.

This visa is for people who think they want to be together but they would like to try to live together first.
This visa would be a complete waste of time and effort. If any visa had the potential for abuse... this'd be it.

I know it's to do with the constitution so probably can't be changed.
I don't believe it has anything to do with the Constitution... but I could be wrong!

Originally Posted by LinkTen
Any student who graduates from a US university with a masters or PhD can apply for a green card.
I'm 50/50 on this... but marginally leaning towards agreement.

A pathway to citizenship for all immigrants who come to the US as children through no fault of their own.
I disagree with this - but only until both parents are dead. I have nothing against the children... but they should be furious as all hell with their parents. The parents should be made to suffer for the grievous injustice brought upon the children... and that means leaving the children with no path to citizenship. The parents should be tormented until the day they die - but once dead, the children should be allowed to move forward with some sort of legal status.

Place these visas into other categories.
Yes, I agree.

Ian
Old Mar 8th 2013, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Wow... so many points to reply to.

Does anyone agree though that IF waiting times somehow could be made shorter for marriage based immigrant visas, the abuse of VWP-marriage-AOS would probably be less?

Rene, I did think that (about fees being higher) but I didn't write it because I wasn't sure. Still not convinced even though it could be partly true.

Jeff, no I don't know why it takes so long. It seems work visas can be done very quickly, why is it so different with marriage visas?

And since Ian mentioned discrimination again, is work more important than marriage?

You will say but they are different categories! Ok, that's why I suggested to create a category "KID-1" for kids who are kept apart from a parent.

Ian, yes the E2 people knew what they got themselves into but I still think it's not right that they are one of few visa categories with no route to a GC. Especially after the good they do to the country. Like I said before there are petitions, websites and people talking to politicians etc about this, so hopefully things will change for the better for this category.

Ian didn't you come to Canada as a child with your family? How would you have liked it if you were kicked back to the UK when you turned 21? But you'll probably say that was the choice your family made so you would have to suffer the consequences........

I agree that the "try living together" visa would be open for abuse, but it was a nice thought!

Moral turpitude is to do with the constitution, or at least I think I just read so in my study material for the naturalization test!

I partly agree with you with regards to the illegal immigrants. Maybe just the kids should be able to get GC when they turn 18 but not the parents. The kids are innocent, the parents made the choice as you said. I still feel bad for them though!

(Maybe because I was once an illegal immigrant myself... not in the US though!)

Last edited by slummymummy; Mar 8th 2013 at 1:03 am.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 1:07 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone agree though that IF waiting times somehow could be made shorter for marriage based immigrant visas, the abuse of VWP-marriage-AOS would probably be less?
No, I don't agree, because there will always be those who want to be with their loved one IMMEDIATELY, rather than the couple of months it would take (which is faster than the current 8 months) to get the proper visa.

Rene, I did think that (about fees being higher) but I didn't write it because I wasn't sure. Still not convinced even though it could be partly true.
It's fully true, because the money to pay the staff at USCIS comes from the fees USCIS charges for its various forms.

Jeff, no I don't know why it takes so long. It seems work visas can be done very quickly, why is it so different with marriage visas?
Because there are so many more ahead in line with marriage based visas. Why do you think it only takes 8 - 10 months to get an immigrant visa for a spouse, but it takes 10 - 12 years to get an immigrant visa for a sibling? Because there are only a certain number of visas allowed per year for siblings, and it makes the backlog grow each year.

And since Ian mentioned discrimination again, is work more important than marriage?
Work visas are temporary, immigrant visas are permanent. That makes a huge difference. Heck, a visitor visa can be obtained in a month, right? That's because it's temporary and there's nothing to the process.

Rene
Old Mar 8th 2013, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Well I was considering abusing the VWP-AOS because at the time we didn't want to wait 6-8 months for a visa (through DCF London). If the expected waiting time had been a couple of months I would never even have considered anything else! I didn't say no one would abuse it, I said the abuse would probably be less with shorter waiting times for visas.

And I still don't get why the waiting times have to be so different. Except for the medical not needed for work, they still do a lot the same. Unless of course it's because the marriage based applicants send too much lovey dovey stuff... maybe that's what's causing the backlog.

Old Mar 8th 2013, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Rene - would you change anything if you were in charge? Or do you think it's all good like it is? Or do you just not waste your time thinking about it?

Ian - I didn't know about this DOMA thing. Just reading about it, very interesting.

Edit: Just thought of this. If the USCIS employed more people they would be able to process more visas (obviously) and they would therefore be paid more fees, without having to raise the fee for each application. But what would be dangerous for them is if they completely clear any backlog and have people sitting there with no work to do! Then they might have to raise the fees. Or fire the extra employees.

Last edited by slummymummy; Mar 8th 2013 at 1:49 am.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LinkTen
Green card for all MSc and PhD students
Any student who graduates from a US university with a masters or PhD can apply for a green card.
Sorry, I'm going to have to strongly disagree on this one. This level of significance on a qualification would place a huge burden upon universities. You are effectively making the university the arbiter in this person's permanent immigration future. The potential to corrupt the education process would be overwhelming. It is difficult enough when poor grades I give affect a student's F-1 visa (and some of the appeals I hear are certainly very theatrical). If (lack of) progress would hinder a greencard, there is absolutely no way universities are equipped to broker this situation. Immigration matters should be dealt with by the relevant authorities.

Even the points system in Australia is abused, typically by international students undertaking Australian Masters in areas in which they are already substantially qualified. There is absolutely no benefit to their education, only a negative impact on their 'genuine' classmates (local or international). As an educator, I would like immigration laws to limit the benefits of this kind of mercenary behaviour.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 3:39 am

Rene - would you change anything if you were in charge? Or do you think it's all good like it is? Or do you just not waste your time thinking about it?
My philosophy is that it is what it is, and I don't think about how to change it.

Back when we were doing the K-1 process, I saw all the people from Europe getting through the process in 10 months or so. Ours took 14, because the case had extra security checks because of Sadegh being from Iran. I was jealous of everyone else flying by me in the process while we were stuck at NVC, but what can you do? Just be happy for those who are progressing, and then be happy when yours does, too.

Edit: Just thought of this. If the USCIS employed more people they would be able to process more visas (obviously) and they would therefore be paid more fees, without having to raise the fee for each application. But what would be dangerous for them is if they completely clear any backlog and have people sitting there with no work to do! Then they might have to raise the fees. Or fire the extra employees.
I think this theory is faulty. The number of cases isn't going change that much from what it is now. (Just because there are more workers doesn't mean there will be more cases.) It's not the visa fees we're talking about here, either (for example, a VWP --> AOS case doesn't have a visa fee at all. It's the USCIS fees which pay the USCIS workers salaries. The USCIS case load remains pretty much the same from year to year (yes, there have been some very high and low peaks, but it's unpredictable). So, if USCIS hires more employees, but doesn't raise any of the application fees, where will that money come from? More people aren't magically going to start sending in I-485's and I-130's and I-129F's and I-751's and N-400's.

Rene
Old Mar 8th 2013, 5:27 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Visa rules, as such, are only in place as tools to facilitate immigration policy.
I have heard that immigration policy is under review. If policy changes, ALL visa rules could change. Otherwise we are just debating red tape. (which we can all agree is frustrating).

You cannot change the rule that it takes 10 months to process a CR! for example, as that is not the rule, it is just a consequence of the policy..
Old Mar 8th 2013, 6:58 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Ian, yes the E2 people knew what they got themselves into...
Good, we agree.

... but I still think it's not right that they are one of few visa categories with no route to a GC.
Then people should choose a different visa. Just because someone gets a visa to the US, it doesn't necessarily follow that the US is obligated to put up with them on any sort of permanent basis! US immigration law is specifically designed to keep non-US citizens out of the US unless they fall into one of several narrowly-defined exceptions. I embrace that policy. Indeed, I'd like to see the end of the EB-5 category.

Ian didn't you come to Canada as a child with your family?
Yes - I was not quite 6 years old at the time.

How would you have liked it if you were kicked back to the UK when you turned 21?
I probably wouldn't have liked it at all... but I was not brought illegally to Canada - and therein lies the difference.

But you'll probably say that was the choice your family made so you would have to suffer the consequences...
If truth be told, it was my father's choice... and he has long since paid the price for that decision.

Maybe because I was once an illegal immigrant myself... not in the US though!
Well, we each have to live with our own demons!

Did you see the movie Amadeus? Emperor Joseph II said something which I believe is applicable here: "You are passionate... but, you do not persuade."

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Mar 8th 2013 at 7:01 am.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Rene - I hear what you saying but it could depend on when in the process the visa fees are paid. It could be that if a few more people are employed to be working on cases they might get more money paid sooner and it would work, as long as they're not clearing the backlog too fast! I could be wrong though and probably am. Nevermind.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Yes - I was not quite 6 years old at the time.

I probably wouldn't have liked it at all... but I was not brought illegally to Canada - and therein lies the difference.
I was talking about the E2 kids here, not the "illegals".

Well, we each have to live with our own demons!

Did you see the movie Amadeus? Emperor Joseph II said something which I believe is applicable here: "You are passionate... but, you do not persuade."
Well it's not really my demons, haha, I just remembered about it. Before Sweden joined the EU I was in England illegaly for about a year when I was 19. It was a choice I made because I loved being there! Lucky for me it worked out. Sweden joined the EU and I was allowed to live there for real!

Anyway, it was fun discussing with you. Passionate? Yes I can be but right now I need to Persuade my kids to get ready for school.

Last edited by slummymummy; Mar 8th 2013 at 11:53 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.