Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Visas - what rules would you change?

Visas - what rules would you change?

Old Mar 13th 2013, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all
Default Re: Visas - what rules would you change?

Very nice of you to apologise...

So, we still don't know where this moral turpitude really comes from although I'm trying to say it might come from 1795 (see one of my posts above).

Does anyone know?
Old Mar 13th 2013, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slummymummy
So, we still don't know where this moral turpitude really comes from although I'm trying to say it might come from 1795 (see one of my posts above).

Does anyone know?

Whilst i do not know the authenticity of its statements, this link produces a good read and possible insight to the existence of Moral Turpitude. According to this article, we might believe that the definition was from the 1800s and was introduced by the British Empire.

http://ezinearticles.com/?A-History-...rld&id=5838688
Old Mar 13th 2013, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

I read it, thanks. Other countries have changed but not the US...

Last edited by slummymummy; Mar 13th 2013 at 2:01 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 3:58 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
What "sort" would that be exactly?

Are you so narrow minded to believe that somebody is a threat to society and has to be curtailed because they've got a couple of ancient convictions for shoplifting or smoking a spliff?
Originally Posted by slummymummy
Interesting debate! And I do agree with the post above. But Trixie did say that it needs an "overhaul" so don't be too hard on her.
Originally Posted by materialcontroller
OK, you are right.

Trixie, I apologise for the tone of the earlier post. It's just unnecessary to continue to define people by their actions decades ago, which is effectively what moral turpitude does.
And that's exactly what I said in my post. and note the "that sort" was in quotes. A country has the right to allow or disallow anyone from stepping over their borders. The CIMT rules are currently unclear and unnecessarily difficult.

But just like the UK stopping the Westborou' Baptist church members from entering into the UK, the USA should keep similar "black balling" techniques.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 9:30 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

On the crime thing, I would remove any mention of the words "arrested" from the regulations and CBP should not ask the question at the POE either. Question B on I-94W for example asks that question.

Standards of arrest vary massively from country to country and it puts a negative connotation on your entry, even though it could have been an arrest that wouldn't be remotely possible in the US, e.g. due to a political protest.

In many countries they don't read you your rights or anything like that, they just haul you in, so you're not even sure if you have been arrested or not.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes totally agree and someone else already mentioned it. Someone can be arrested for something they are innocent of.

A friend of mine was once arrested for no reason (in London) but he's not sure if he was actually arrested or just put in the drunk tank (even though he wasn't even drunk). Was let out in the middle of the night with no explanation. His police record was clear so chose not to declare it. Still stressful though as he was worried that THEY would find out...

Also, I don't think children who were "forced" by their parents to overstay their VWP should have to suffer for that. (They can't use VWP again.) We had a thread about that recently - the music producer guy.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 7:39 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Actually thinking about it, wouldn't it be simpler if all the nice parts of the US were annexed by Canada?