VISA waiver question

Old Dec 22nd 2010, 10:13 am
Just Joined

tombass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: VISA waiver question

Hi Guys,

I just want to say thanks to all those who offered me advice on this subject, I know this advice is all free and therefore no one has any obligation to respond with any advice but I appreciated all the advice I was offered. Anyway I arrived in the USA one week ago armed with about as much proof as I could possibly think of to prove I intended to return to start my new job, having a letter from my new employer made me feel a lot better about things. Anyway when I arrived at Chicago I was honest with the POE officer and simply said I was here to visit my girlfriend over the holidays when asked what my reason for travelling to the USA was. The officer asked me what my girlfriend did and I answered and she said enjoy your stay. I think from experience now just being honest and giving the POE clear answers to questions is the best way, sounds obvious but after three weeks away I was nervous about re-entering so soon and what you read about other peoples experience and advice can make you think the worst. However I guess each case is different and I will certainly not risk the wrath of US immigration by doing this again, maybe it being the holidays worked in my favour I don't know. I intend to come back to the States soon but I understand that visiting so close together can raise eyebrows. I tried looking at getting her over to the UK but the flights were so much more expensive I found so this was the only way to see her.

Anyway sorry for waffling just wanted to say thanks again for the advice and it helped me a lot when making a decision about coming here.

Tom