Visa Waiver

Old Apr 25th 2008, 11:44 pm
EJ3
Forum Regular

EJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Visa Waiver

Hi,

Just a quick question.
Is there a certain amount of time you have to spend in your home country (in my case, the UK) before coming back to the USA on a 90 day visa waiver. Basically I am interested to know if there is a time limit from arriving home after visiting the USA to when you can come back to the USA on a visa waiver again as a visitor.

I have read on the internet that you can come back frequently but the final decision is made by your immigration officer at the port of entry.

I would like to frequently visit the USA as my fiance lives here. Does anyone know if you can return several times using the full 90 days on a visa waiver?

Any advice welcome. Thank you
Old Apr 26th 2008, 12:39 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa Waiver

Originally Posted by EJ3
Is there a certain amount of time you have to spend in your home country (in my case, the UK) before coming back to the USA on a 90 day visa waiver.
You will not find anything specific on this, since it's not codified anywhere. The rule of thumb, however, is "90 days in, 90 days out". In other words, spend at least as much time outside of the US as inside. By the way, you don't need to be back in your "home country"... you just need to be outside the US.

Ian
Old Apr 26th 2008, 12:59 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You will not find anything specific on this, since it's not codified anywhere. The rule of thumb, however, is "90 days in, 90 days out". In other words, spend at least as much time outside of the US as inside. By the way, you don't need to be back in your "home country"... you just need to be outside the US.

Ian
Yep, what Ian said. Also, if it becomes known over the course of your visits that you have a USC fiance, you can expect to be questioned at length and eventually turned away. Of course don't lie if they ask you directly.

And depending on how frequently for how long, same as above, even if they don't know you have a fiance. If it starts to look like you're spending more time inside the USA than outside, you risk being turned away.

Rene
Old Apr 26th 2008, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

People have been known to spend two VWP periods in the US with only a quick trip back to Europe in between. But you must really have a convincing reason to be returning to the US so soon. They are certainly not guaranteed to let you in after a short period away.

Carry proof of strong ties to the UK, such as house, job, bills, bank statements, family ties etc.

Don't attempt to spend more than about 175 days in the US in a single year - and don't expect to keep visiting for that amount of time year after year, unless you a e.g. a retiree in Florida.

There's lots of advice on lots of threads here. You could run a search.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

scatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
People have been known to spend two VWP periods in the US with only a quick trip back to Europe in between. But you must really have a convincing reason to be returning to the US so soon. They are certainly not guaranteed to let you in after a short period away.

Carry proof of strong ties to the UK, such as house, job, bills, bank statements, family ties etc.

Don't attempt to spend more than about 175 days in the US in a single year - and don't expect to keep visiting for that amount of time year after year, unless you a e.g. a retiree in Florida.

There's lots of advice on lots of threads here. You could run a search.
good advise.

would add , you do need to be seen as spending more time in your home country than the USA. VWP or visa in passport makes no difference as to whether you will gain entry the USA. The final determination rests solely with the officer at POE
Old Apr 26th 2008, 4:21 pm
EJ3
Forum Regular

EJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your helpful responses.

I still have strong ties to the UK and don't plan to spend an excessive amount of time in the US. Last time I entered requesting a 90 day stay on my visa waiver I was asked how much money I had for my stay, how long I have known my fiance and to show proof of my return flight. That information seemed to be acceptable. I do realise that each time I may enter I am sure to be questioned more thoroughly.
My fiance has filed for our first marriage paperwork (I-129F and documents) so hopefully we have started the ball rolling.

Thanks again for your advice on this.