Visa renewal in NZ or Bermuda

Old Jan 28th 2008, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Bodymore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa renewal in NZ or Bermuda

Hi,

Has anybody tried or does anybody know if it is possible for a UK citizen to renew their E-2 visa in New Zealand or Bermuda? The visa was issued at the U.S Embassy in London but we have a trip planned to NZ and were wondering if we could get it sorted while we are out there. We could possibly do a quick trip to Bermuda if that was a possibility too. I know people have mentioned Barbados but that's not really an option (although it is very tempting ).

Thanks,

B'more
Old Jan 28th 2008, 5:51 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa renewal in NZ or Bermuda

Originally Posted by Bodymore
Hi,

Has anybody tried or does anybody know if it is possible for a UK citizen to renew their E-2 visa in New Zealand or Bermuda? The visa was issued at the U.S Embassy in London but we have a trip planned to NZ and were wondering if we could get it sorted while we are out there. We could possibly do a quick trip to Bermuda if that was a possibility too. I know people have mentioned Barbados but that's not really an option (although it is very tempting ).

Thanks,

B'more
Its up to the individual consulate .....Ask them ...
Old Jan 28th 2008, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply, Ray.

Have done some digging on the internet. Seems that Bermuda only likes to deal with local residents and the Consulate in Auckland can only be contacted about visa matters on a 0900 number that will only work from within NZ. Also, that is the phone number that you have to use to make a visa appointment and so unless I am in NZ (or have a friend/relative in NZ who can do it for me) I can't make the necessary appointment to sort out my visa issues.

So, it looks like a big, fat negative in both cases.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 6:35 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply, Ray.

Have done some digging on the internet. Seems that Bermuda only likes to deal with local residents and the Consulate in Auckland can only be contacted about visa matters on a 0900 number that will only work from within NZ. Also, that is the phone number that you have to use to make a visa appointment and so unless I am in NZ (or have a friend/relative in NZ who can do it for me) I can't make the necessary appointment to sort out my visa issues.

So, it looks like a big, fat negative in both cases.
Your giving up too easy ...
Old Jan 28th 2008, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

I know, but I think it has just about defeated me for today. I've been sat staring at the screen since I got up at 6am this morning trying to find out how to sort out this visa issue. Not to mention going round and round in circles trying to get any answers from USCIS.

A friend knows somebody (in the UK) who deals with U.S. visa matters for their UK employees. He's going to give us her details and maybe she has some suggestions up her sleeve.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 7:26 pm
Ray

I know, but I think it has just about defeated me for today. I've been sat staring at the screen since I got up at 6am this morning trying to find out how to sort out this visa issue. Not to mention going round and round in circles trying to get any answers from USCIS.

A friend knows somebody (in the UK) who deals with U.S. visa matters for their UK employees. He's going to give us her details and maybe she has some suggestions up her sleeve.
You have got to actually contact them
thats how barbados got used
somebody contacted them and they just said ..Yup ok then..!!
Although their site does not say they will .,...

There is the Bermuda Email

Consulate E-mail:[email protected]
Please e-mail the Consulate with any inquiries you may have and they will be forwarded to
the proper department/person who will respond to you in due course.

Last edited by Ray; Jan 28th 2008 at 7:38 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:43 pm
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

I handle E visas all the time.

US Department of State posts abroad are exceedingly reluctant to handle third-country nationals (TCNs), which is what you would be in Auckland or Barbados. This would be a different matter if you were a legal resident of NZ or Barbados, but if you are only a UK citizen, then it is doubtful that either consulate would accept your E-2 application.

Further, in the unlikely event that they would even accept your application for processing, the SLIGHTEST irregularity in the case will certainly cause it to be rejected with the instruction that you re-apply at the Consulate in London.

--J
Old Jan 29th 2008, 4:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCraigFong
I handle E visas all the time.

US Department of State posts abroad are exceedingly reluctant to handle third-country nationals (TCNs), which is what you would be in Auckland or Barbados. This would be a different matter if you were a legal resident of NZ or Barbados, but if you are only a UK citizen, then it is doubtful that either consulate would accept your E-2 application.

Further, in the unlikely event that they would even accept your application for processing, the SLIGHTEST irregularity in the case will certainly cause it to be rejected with the instruction that you re-apply at the Consulate in London.

--J
Not applicable here, but isn't there more flexibility in Canada and Mexico for TCNs to apply for visas at U.S. consulates there (admittedly with risks of its own).
Old Jan 29th 2008, 6:26 pm
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Isn't there more flexibility in Canada and Mexico for TCNs to apply for visas at U.S. consulates there (admittedly with risks of its own).
Often, TCNs process at border posts in Canada or Mexico if they "renewing" an already-existing nonimmigrant visa and have an I-797 approval notice. This would be most common for H & L visa holders. Note, however, that border posts prefer that a TCN originally have the visa issued from a USConGen in the alien's home country; then, the border post is effectively issuing a "renewal," and not a new visa. (It is not technically a "renewal," but like Stuart F, I'm being a bit pedantic.)

E treaty visas are not however viewed the same. First, because the E visa is a creature based upon a treaty between the USA and the alien's country of citizenship, the USConGen in that country is considered best able to evaluate and apply the terms of that treaty. Next, I regularly meet with E-visa officers in Mexico and Canada -- about 20% of my clientele is Canadian -- and they are unanimous that if an E visa application from a TCN is even slightly irregular, the consul will reject the application. Finally, although I have seen exceptions to this, I think it is fair to say that the State Department view is that a first-time E visa issuance really should process at a USConGen in that country.

--J