Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

VISA problems for my Mongolian friend

VISA problems for my Mongolian friend

Old Aug 9th 2002, 3:21 am
Man Machine

Default VISA problems for my Mongolian friend

I invited a friend in Mongolia to come the US. I wrote a notorized letter of
invitation and a partially filled out DS-156 form for a B-2 VISA. I did not consult
a lawyer, though, thinking if it wasn't good enough they might tell us what it is
lacking and we could resubmit. The Mongolian is telling me that she went, they
rejected her application with no explanation or discussion. What was surprising was
that they said she could not come back for a year. I have never heard of this kind
of treatment. Is this normal? How can we work with this with no feedback? Maybe you
can provide some feedback or advice. Are they just trying to scare her? I would
think she could reapply, though I don't know how to improve her chances if they give
no feedback.

Old Aug 9th 2002, 1:28 pm
Man Machine

Default Re: VISA problems for my Mongolian friend

After reading the letter, More specifically, what are some ways to overcome
the clause that she's unlikely to return and needs to demonstrate attachment
to her country?

On Thu, 08 Aug 2002 22:21:06 -0500, Man Machine
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I invited a friend in Mongolia to come the US. I wrote a notorized letter of
    >invitation and a partially filled out DS-156 form for a B-2 VISA. I did not consult
    >a lawyer, though, thinking if it wasn't good enough they might tell us what it is
    >lacking and we could resubmit. The Mongolian is telling me that she went, they
    >rejected her application with no explanation or discussion. What was surprising was
    >that they said she could not come back for a year. I have never heard of this kind
    >of treatment. Is this normal? How can we work with this with no feedback? Maybe you
    >can provide some feedback or advice. Are they just trying to scare her? I would
    >think she could reapply, though I don't know how to improve her chances if they give
    >no feedback.

Old Aug 9th 2002, 2:01 pm
L D Jones

Man Machine wrote:
    > After reading the letter, More specifically, what are some ways to overcome the
    > clause that she's unlikely to return and needs to demonstrate attachment to her
    > country?

Letter from employer, Documents showing ownership of home? She must be able to show
strong ties to her country such that the officials are convinced she will not stay in
the US. There is no set amount of evidence as far as I know.

Old Aug 10th 2002, 12:46 am
E Patashnikov

L D Jones <[email protected]> wrote in message news:

> Letter from employer, Documents showing ownership of home? She must be able to show
    > strong ties to her country such that the officials are convinced she will not stay
    > in the US. There is no set amount of evidence as far as I know.

If she's ever travelled outside of Mongolia, she must also show a pattern of not
extending her stay in foreign countries without proper permission and always
returning home to her native country. Since there is no written threshold or
official requirements for obtaining a visa to enter the US, the process can become
very subjective, unbeknownst to the applicant, and manipulative (or corrupt).