visa for musician?

Old May 28th 2008, 4:12 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: visa for musician?

Originally Posted by matt5104
thanks for the info, didn't realise how difficult it would be for a muso! well, marriage is definitely something we are thinking about, I was just interested in other avenues as well. not sure how much help a lawyer would be now, looking at all this!
Well, lawyers know through practice and experience (be sure to get one who has worked in YOUR field of interest) what will fly and what will not fly--- you should not take these comments personally; as explained, it's just legal lingo and by your own admission you don't have the evidence required for an O (if I were you I'd be sure the lawyer investigated that anyway).

Hey, the band sounds good, you guys may be on to something! But you are looking thru the lens of 'musician' only and getting sidetracked to performance visit visas.. you WANT to live and work in the US, so perhaps stay focused on routes that will do that for you.

Since you may slot into a small sub specialty, it's likely that people online won't have a lot of experience or knowledge about specific visas to give you. You will be well served by doing some basic research so that you maximize your time talking with the lawyers.

Your OP says what you've been doing since Nov 07, but the way I read it, you've done two trips--you should be prepared to be refused entry at some point, and maybe read up on that *before* you travel so you know what to do and not do.

No one has commented on you playing gigs while you are here; if they are paid performances, you *might* have a problem there. That is a question worth asking in private of the attorneys you talk with.
Old May 28th 2008, 4:32 am
Just Joined

matt5104 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
Well, lawyers know through practice and experience (be sure to get one who has worked in YOUR field of interest) what will fly and what will not fly--- you should not take these comments personally; as explained, it's just legal lingo and by your own admission you don't have the evidence required for an O (if I were you I'd be sure the lawyer investigated that anyway).

Hey, the band sounds good, you guys may be on to something! But you are looking thru the lens of 'musician' only and getting sidetracked to performance visit visas.. you WANT to live and work in the US, so perhaps stay focused on routes that will do that for you.

Since you may slot into a small sub specialty, it's likely that people online won't have a lot of experience or knowledge about specific visas to give you. You will be well served by doing some basic research so that you maximize your time talking with the lawyers.

Your OP says what you've been doing since Nov 07, but the way I read it, you've done two trips--you should be prepared to be refused entry at some point, and maybe read up on that *before* you travel so you know what to do and not do.

No one has commented on you playing gigs while you are here; if they are paid performances, you *might* have a problem there. That is a question worth asking in private of the attorneys you talk with.
thanks for your input, might be worth getting in touch with a lawyer in this field after all.
Old May 28th 2008, 4:44 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

i guess it is an interesting youth, if a little unstable (I'm 24, am I still a youth...?).

marriage certainly has been discussed, and we may have to go that route, but I was just wondering about the non-immigrant route too. especially being a musician. I understand that for me to work in the US, the sponsor (record company, agent etc etc etc) would need to prove no american can do the job. How can they do this for a musician???? I'm not taking an american's job cos it doesn't exist, if you think about it.

oh well, marriage it is i guess. K1 here we come.........
I didn't mean that in a condescending way. I was 22 when I came here on an H1b. I'd consider my 20s as still part of my mouth. In fact, at 35, I'm still hanging onto the notion.
Old May 28th 2008, 4:48 am
Just Joined

matt5104 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I didn't mean that in a condescending way. I was 22 when I came here on an H1b. I'd consider my 20s as still part of my mouth. In fact, at 35, I'm still hanging onto the notion.
ha, part of your mouth?! I didn't take it condescendingly, don't worry!

i do consider myself still a youth actually!
Old May 28th 2008, 4:55 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

ha, part of your mouth?! I didn't take it condescendingly, don't worry!

i do consider myself still a youth actually!
See, he's getting senile but he doesn't realize it yet.. humor him, or he makes scary faces.
Old May 28th 2008, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

and how could you possibly know how accomplished I am? It could well be that I am extremely accomplished but unfortunate enough to not have any physical proof of that. Why is it that new people to this forum are treated with rudeness when asking a simple question? Is it, I wonder, because most on this forum have gone through months and months of waiting to get into the US and react with anger at anyone looking at a possibly quicker and easier (and legal) route......?

thanks to those who answered sincerely - I will get in contact with a lawyer who can explain my options.
Well, you're a snotty little brat, aren't you? I was being quite sincere. You asked about your chances of an O or P visa, and then YOU proceeded to say you had no accomplishments to speak of. I don't know or care how good you are, I was just commenting as you asked us to.