Visa issue - L1 to H1B

Old Jul 25th 2009, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Visa issue - L1 to H1B

Hope someone can give me some help. Other half and I are moving early next year - he'll be on L1 and I'll be on L2. We'll apply for social security numbers and I plan to apply for an EAD in order to work. We'll also be starting the green card process as early as possible.

This is where it gets more complicated. There's a possibility that after we move, hubby will have to change his visa to H1B. If so, what happens to me? Will I be forced to give up my job (assuming I have one), and move onto a H4 visa and lose my social security number? This is really preying on my mind as I don't want to go out there and end up not being allowed to do anything?

As an aside, would I be allowed to go to college on either an L2 or H4?

Thanks!
Old Jul 26th 2009, 11:49 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa issue - L1 to H1B

Originally Posted by MadRad
Will I be forced to give up my job (assuming I have one), and move onto a H4 visa and lose my social security number?
You will *never* lose your SSN - it's yours for life. But you will be forced from an L2 to an H4 and will *not* be allowed to work even if you have an EAD. Your status is dependent on your husband's visa.

This is really preying on my mind as I don't want to go out there and end up not being allowed to do anything?
The H4 visa is known as the "visa from hell"... for good reason. You can volunteer, of course, but you can not receive any benefit at all (food, coupons, shelter, privileges in lieu of wages, etc) from the company.

As an aside, would I be allowed to go to college on either an L2 or H4?
Yes - you can study with either visa.

Ian
Old Jul 26th 2009, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa issue - L1 to H1B

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of! Still if I can at least study or volunteer, at least I'll be able to do something constructive with my time!