Visa help

Old Jul 8th 2002, 6:20 pm
Thang Nguyen

Default Visa help

Hi,

Could you please help me about Visa.

Do you know any Vietnamese or students from other contries, which is as difficult as
Vietnam to get US Visa, who applied for US Visa at Canada or Europe since 1-4?

I am a Vietnamese student. I am doing my 4th years of PhD program at University of
Vermont, US. I am currently holding F1 Visa but it expired. My I-20 will expired in
2005. I have research scholarship for next year. I want to go to Europe but I am
afraid I can not get the US Visa to go back to US. If that happen, I have to go back
to Vietnam to apply for it, It will take a lot of time and money. Or I can go to
Montreal, Canada to apply for the Visa.

Thank you very much.

Thang.

Old Jul 9th 2002, 4:32 am
Tom Shelly

Default Re: Visa help

Dear Tang,

We don't need another gook in the U.S.

Stay in your straw hut and eat rice.

Tom Shelly, White God Purveyor of Truth

Proud Recipient AFN's Most Hated Racist, 2002

Old Jul 9th 2002, 7:20 am
Ingo Pakleppa

Default Re: Visa help

On Mon, 08 Jul 2002 09:02:15 -0700, Thang Nguyen wrote:

> Hi,
    >
    > Could you please help me about Visa.
    >
    > Do you know any Vietnamese or students from other contries, which is as difficult
    > as Vietnam to get US Visa, who applied for US Visa at Canada or Europe since 1-4?
    >
    > I am a Vietnamese student. I am doing my 4th years of PhD program at University of
    > Vermont, US. I am currently holding F1 Visa but it expired. My I-20 will expired in
    > 2005. I have research scholarship for next year. I want to go to Europe but I am
    > afraid I can not get the US Visa to go back to US. If that happen, I have to go
    > back to Vietnam to apply for it, It will take a lot of time and money. Or I can go
    > to Montreal, Canada to apply for the Visa.

Unfortunately, the option of Canada is closed now. Well, you can still try and get a
visa there, but if it is denied for whatever reason, you cannot return to the US. But
my guess is that a consulate in Canada is still a better bet than Europe, simply
because very few people apply in Canada nowadays (Canadians don't have to, and for
most others it is now very unattractive).

As long as you are making good progress towards your studying goal, I wouldn't
be overly worried, although there indeed is a chance they may tell you to travel
to Vietnam.

One thing you can do is contact the consulate of your choice in advance and see if
they'd be willing to schedule an appointment for you. If they are, chances are you'll
get your visa (assuming that your papers are in order, of course!) Most consulates
are difficult to contact from other countries, though - often, only by fax.

Ingo