visa and criminal records

Old Dec 17th 2011, 8:59 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: visa and criminal records

Originally Posted by tom.r
Any idea what could be a reason to ask about that?
The USCIS does background checks on everyone that applies, for immigrant status or citizenship. Not just in the US but in their country of origin, it is routine.

Last edited by lansbury; Dec 17th 2011 at 9:02 am.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 9:02 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Any idea what could be a reason to ask about that?
Take a look back at lansbury's post #20.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 9:15 am
Just Joined

tom.r is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought they checked everything by my visa application and I can be confident of my future.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 9:23 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

I thought they checked everything by my visa application and I can be confident of my future.
Somehow I doubt that is the end of the matter. Won't you need to renew that visa at some point? How about if you pursue a green card? Who knows exactly when "informal" enquiries could take place behind the scenes?
Old Dec 17th 2011, 9:23 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Your posts give the impression you have a company sponsored non immigrant visa. Applying for a GC changes the goal posts, they will be doing background checks, even if they did them before. What they may find this time around who knows.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lansbury
Your posts give the impression you have a company sponsored non immigrant visa.
You're right.

God, I sc**** everything. Whatever I'll do now it just can't end well.
I was sure they will never find out about it and now I'm not that sure any more.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 10:03 am
Account Closed

You're right.

God, I sc**** everything. Whatever I'll do now it just can't end well.
I was sure they will never find out about it and now I'm not that sure any more.
Think about it. By going for a green card you're asking for much more than just being able to work in the USA like you do now. You're asking to become one of them! It doesn't seem unreasonable that they might check you out a bit more thoroughly than they did before does it?
Old Dec 18th 2011, 8:34 am
Just Joined

I read a bit about offences lots of people write offences will be often removed after 5-10 years. This would mean I'm safe. This all is just making me confused... I don't really know what can be discovered and what not...
Old Dec 18th 2011, 8:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I read a bit about offences lots of people write offences will be often removed after 5-10 years. This would mean I'm safe. This all is just making me confused... I don't really know what can be discovered and what not...
The pros on the forum will know far more than I, but I'm sure I've read of cases where even citizens have been stripped of their citizenship many years down the line because it's been discovered that they lied during the application process, so I don't think you'd ever truly be 'safe'.

Rather than risking worrying for the rest of your life, why not just tell the truth?

Edit: no idea how accurate this webpage is, but note number 5 of this list........http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2638646/posts

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 18th 2011 at 8:51 am.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 9:24 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I read a bit about offences lots of people write offences will be often removed after 5-10 years. This would mean I'm safe.
What makes you think this means you're safe? Just because an offense is removed from a record, doesn't mean it never happened. You are supposed to answer all immigrations honestly, and very often the question is "have you ever been arrested....". For you, the answer to that is "yes".

This all is just making me confused... I don't really know what can be discovered and what not...
That's why it's best to never lie, because you never know when it will come back around to bite you.

Rene
Old Dec 18th 2011, 10:21 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I read a bit about offences lots of people write offences will be often removed after 5-10 years. This would mean I'm safe.
Respectfully, the visa isn't that big a deal. It's only an issue if you choose to pursue it with your employer - which you're probably not obligated to do. After all, working in the US isn't for everyone.

Forgive me, but it sounds like you're more worried about this because you never disclosed it to your employer when you were hired... and it's they who'll find out, not US immigration.

Oh, what a tangled web...

Ian