Visa applications for my children

Old Sep 16th 2003, 11:51 am
Wales is next to England

Gasherjohn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa applications for my children

I have been asked on a separate thread for the latest situation on the visa applications for my children so rather than hijack that thread I am posting this separately

Originally posted by dbark
Gasherjohn,

Just wondering if you have got any further with the London Embassy regarding your childrens' visa applications?

Debbie
Hi Debbie,
I got an email explanation from London to say why they turned my childrens applications down (that they couldn't prove sufficient ties to the UK) and basically saying not to bother applying again for two years. I sent them an email explaining the facts in greater details and pleading the case further but I didn't get a reply.

In the meantime I contacted the press in the UK with a rough outline of the situation and they very were interested in doing an article on it. However, I asked them to hold it because I was worried it may be used as an exercise in America bashing which would not be my intention.

I also sent copies of my original letter to the Consulate to the Prime Minister and the President and I think it says a lot that I have heard nothing from the US authorities, not even an acknowledgement, and yet I had a pleasant letter from the PM's department saying that they were forwarding the letter to the Foreign Office.

I then received a very nice letter from the FO explaining that they were monitoring the effects of the tightened US immigration procedures on UK citizens and that they have raised their concerns at the highest level. However, understandably, they said that they could not assist with individual cases and that it was up to the US Consulate to decide each case as they saw fit. However, they gave me two addresses to write to if I was not happy with the treatment of our visa applications and I have now done that.

It is re-assuring to know that the UK government are aware of the difficulties we face and they are prepared to do something about it, even if the US authorities don't appear to give a toss about us. Thank you Mr President for your concern!

Last edited by Gasherjohn; Sep 16th 2003 at 1:08 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2003, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura about

I want to tell you that I am both sorry for you and your kids, and grateful to you for posting this. If this saves even one family problems, it was worth the time it took to write it. Thank you again, and good luck working through this.
Old Sep 16th 2003, 3:01 pm
Wales is next to England

Originally posted by Pallyn
I want to tell you that I am both sorry for you and your kids, and grateful to you for posting this. If this saves even one family problems, it was worth the time it took to write it. Thank you again, and good luck working through this.
Thank you Pam for your kind support.

As I think I said when I first posted about the visa applications for my children a few weeks ago, I had a good idea of the things I was letting myself in for when I came here on a K-1 visa but abandoning my children was never one of them.

They want to visit me and I want them to visit me. If they wanted to stay we could have gone the K-2 route. The annoying thing is that it now seems that they may have been eligible to travel under the visa waiver scheme, contrary to advice I was given, and they probably would have passed quietly through the POE without any trouble at all!

Let's hope someone shows some sense and compassion in the US Consulate about this.

John
Old Sep 16th 2003, 5:58 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa applications for my children

Originally posted by Gasherjohn
I have been asked on a separate thread for the latest situation on the visa applications for my children so rather than hijack that thread I am posting this separately

Hi Debbie,
I got an email explanation from London to say why they turned my childrens applications down (that they couldn't prove sufficient ties to the UK) and basically saying not to bother applying again for two years. I sent them an email explaining the facts in greater details and pleading the case further but I didn't get a reply.

In the meantime I contacted the press in the UK with a rough outline of the situation and they very were interested in doing an article on it. However, I asked them to hold it because I was worried it may be used as an exercise in America bashing which would not be my intention.

I also sent copies of my original letter to the Consulate to the Prime Minister and the President and I think it says a lot that I have heard nothing from the US authorities, not even an acknowledgement, and yet I had a pleasant letter from the PM's department saying that they were forwarding the letter to the Foreign Office.

I then received a very nice letter from the FO explaining that they were monitoring the effects of the tightened US immigration procedures on UK citizens and that they have raised their concerns at the highest level. However, understandably, they said that they could not assist with individual cases and that it was up to the US Consulate to decide each case as they saw fit. However, they gave me two addresses to write to if I was not happy with the treatment of our visa applications and I have now done that.

It is re-assuring to know that the UK government are aware of the difficulties we face and they are prepared to do something about it, even if the US authorities don't appear to give a toss about us. Thank you Mr President for your concern!
John,
Thanks for the update. Well I am most surprised about the President's lack of response but it is somewhat gratifying that the PM's office was of some help. I hope something comes of the FO's leads that you followed up. It is worrying that the embassy can just base a decision on 'lack of strong enough ties' without giving you the opportunity to provide more.

Please keep us updated when you hear something further - hopefully good news this time!

Debbie
Old Sep 16th 2003, 6:07 pm
Wales is next to England

Originally posted by dbark
It is worrying that the embassy can just base a decision on 'lack of strong enough ties' without giving you the opportunity to provide more.
Debbie
They seem to have pigeon holed my kids into an "impossible to prove ties" category and rejected them on that basis. Hopefully the additional information I have given them will allow them to reconsider their visa applications.

John
Old Sep 16th 2003, 6:17 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Gasherjohn
They seem to have pigeon holed my kids into an "impossible to prove ties" category and rejected them on that basis. Hopefully the additional information I have given them will allow them to reconsider their visa applications.

John
What age are your children? Do you think age has any influence on their decision? This is terribly unfair, I would think it would be reasonable for you to expect to be able to have them visit and/or bring them here to live.

Leslie
Old Sep 16th 2003, 8:11 pm
Wales is next to England

Originally posted by Leslie66
What age are your children? Do you think age has any influence on their decision? This is terribly unfair, I would think it would be reasonable for you to expect to be able to have them visit and/or bring them here to live.

Leslie
Hi Leslie,

Rather than drag this thread out too long you can find the facts here if you are interested: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=168072

John