Veterans Day

Old Nov 10th 2003, 3:53 am
Charlie Tuna

CharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of light
Default Veterans Day

I hear a rumour that our friends over the pond are celebrating Veterans day tomorrow (tuesday).
I dread to ask, but is it a government holiday?
Old Nov 10th 2003, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

amylass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Veterans Day

It is indeed a government holiday - all offices will be closed.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 3:58 am
Charlie Tuna

CharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by amylass

Arse!!!!!
Old Nov 10th 2003, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard III will become famous soon enoughRichard III will become famous soon enough

Oh come on now Charlie, you can't tell me that you really begrudge these poor, overworked, understaffed government workers less than one day off for holidays per month. I heard that government workers in England receive more days off for holidays and vacations than Americans do, is that not true? ;^)

Richard III

Originally posted by CharlieS
Arse!!!!!
Old Nov 10th 2003, 9:57 am
Charlie Tuna

Richard,

I actually don't know that for sure but it is probably true; Americans seem to have way less vacation time that Brits.

On the other hand, I begrudge anyone anything if it interrupts with my visa because yes, it is all about me

Char

Originally posted by Richard III I heard that government workers in England receive more days off for holidays and vacations than Americans do, is that not true? ;^)
Richard III
Old Nov 10th 2003, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard III will become famous soon enoughRichard III will become famous soon enough

Charlie -

JUST as I suspected, me me me me me, that's all you think about. ;^)

The plain truth is, if you don't look out for you, WHO THE HELL WILL?

Richard III

Richard,

I actually don't know that for sure but it is probably true; Americans seem to have way less vacation time that Brits.

On the other hand, I begrudge anyone anything if it interrupts with my visa because yes, it is all about me

Char
Old Nov 10th 2003, 10:34 am
Michael D. Young

CharlieS wrote:

> I hear a rumour that our friends over the pond are celebrating Veterans
    > day tomorrow (tuesday).
    > I dread to ask, but is it a government holiday?

It certainly is a U.S. government holiday.

Old Nov 10th 2003, 11:42 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Richard,

Char
Charlie

I will tell my 88 year old dad who is a WWII veteran who survived a Japanese POW camp in the South Pacific that you begrudge the fact that his government has set aside a holiday to honor his service and those of his comrades in arms and those that have lost their lives in two world wars, Korea and Viet Nam their one day of remembrance. Knowing what a nice guy he is, he will probably be upset that your timeline has been pushed back one more day.

And Richard, those men and women who served are the ones that looked out for you and your parents and grandparents and children and future grandchildren.

Now Charlie, be nice and stop bellyaching.

Rete
Old Nov 10th 2003, 11:45 am
Charlie Tuna

Originally posted by Rete
Rete

I have my own grandfather who is very proud that his country acknowledges the sacrafices he and many million like him made, in many cases the ultimate sacrafice.
Thankfully he also has a sense of humor!

And my point was aimed at the government agencies, not the people that were actually involved in the conflicts.

Last edited by CharlieS; Nov 10th 2003 at 12:11 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 1:00 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Charlie

I will tell my 88 year old dad who is a WWII veteran who survived a Japanese POW camp in the South Pacific that you begrudge the fact that his government has set aside a holiday to honor his service and those of his comrades in arms and those that have lost their lives in two world wars, Korea and Viet Nam their one day of remembrance. Knowing what a nice guy he is, he will probably be upset that your timeline has been pushed back one more day.

And Richard, those men and women who served are the ones that looked out for you and your parents and grandparents and children and future grandchildren.

Rete
Hi:

The dead get one day, the survivors another. My daughters are still are surprised that daddy knows how to shoot an M-16.

I think that Charlie was speaking with tougue firmly planted in cheek.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 1:07 pm
Jim Battista

Rete <member@british_expats.com> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I will tell my 88 year old dad who is a WWII veteran who survived
    > a Japanese POW camp in the South Pacific that you begrudge the
    > fact that his government has set aside a holiday to honor his
    > service and those of his comrades in arms and those that have lost
    > their lives in two world wars, Korea and Viet Nam their one day of
    > remembrance.

Well, their one day except for the other day.

I like Memorial Day better since it harkens back to the Civil War
instead of the pointless disaster of WW1.

--
Jim Battista
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Old Nov 10th 2003, 1:12 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by amylass
!!!!
Old Nov 10th 2003, 1:14 pm
Charlie Tuna

Completely correct Mr F.

I had to spend my military days using the SLR, never got to play with an M-16. I felt i missed out.

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
The dead get one day, the survivors another. My daughters are still are surprised that daddy knows how to shoot an M-16.
I think that Charlie was speaking with tougue firmly planted in cheek.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rita -

My late father served with distinction in the European Theatre during World War II in the 8th Armored Division touring England, France, Belgium, Holland, Czechoslovakia and Germany in an M-4 tank, under Major General John M. Devine. Among the battles he fought in was the Battle of the Bulge. I take Veteran's Day very seriously, as did he.

Both of my dad's brothers also served in Europe during WWII. We all owe a debt of gratitude to these men and women, all of whom risked their lives, many of whom gave their lives, defending freedom. Had the allied forces been less well trained, less dedicated to the task, less tough, lead by men and women of lesser character and stature, using less bold strategy or less clever tactics or had they been less well equiped, the face of the world today would be quite different.

The men and women of my dad's generation who defended our country during World War II, quite literally saved the world from the malevolent forces which were sweeping the globe with world domination their goal. At a time when Europe and Asia were being overrun by forces bent on the destruction of freedom and liberty everywhere, Allied military forces mobilized and, after a somewhat shaky start, convincingly crushed the forces of the Axis powers. Thank goodness for the strength and courage of the American, British, Canadian, Australian, French and, yes, the Russian forces, among others, allied against the Axis powers. Setting aside one day a year to honor those who served to make the world a better place doesn't seem like a lot to ask.

The punch line here is that my dad's parents were German immigrants from Russia and he spoke German nearly as well as some of the prisoners his outfit took.

If you want to know how I really feel about it, just ask me.

Richard III
Charlie

Rete
Old Nov 10th 2003, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Richard,

Char

Let's see...how many weeks of holiday do the British get each year? Around 3, right? And that's when you first start at the company. Most US companies, IF you start out in management, only get 2 weeks off, plus around 4 paid holidays and sick time usually. If you work part time, or are simply an associate, you're lucky if you get any vacation at all the first year you work for a company. A good company will sometimes give you at least 1 week's paid vacation during the first year, then you work for a year or so, and can qualify for more. So yes!! Y'all get more days off and it's sooo not fair!

And Happy Veteren's Day all! It's good to remember what people have fought for in the past! But I understand why you're so frustrated Charlie, as I just want our visa dang it!!

Jamie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.