Wikiposts

VCRs

Old Jan 14th 2002, 11:54 pm
Biggie

Hi,

Does anybody know whether I can buy a universal VCR in the U.S. that plays videos
both in NTSC and in PAL? I'd love to take some of my European videos with me, but the
American VCRs won't play them.

Thanks

Biggie

Old Jan 15th 2002, 12:07 am
Andy Platt

Yes you can but it will cost you. There are essentially two types of equipment
you can get:

a) Multisystem VCRs. These will play PAL and NTSC tapes (and SECAM, etc) and output
them in the same format (e.g. PAL tapes are output in PAL, NTSC in NTSC). That
means you would need a TV capable of playing back PAL as well as NTSC.

b) A true converter VCR. This will play PAL tapes and output in PAL or NTSC (and the
same for NTSC tapes).

Note that this is different that in Europe (at least this is true in the UK and I
imagine is similar for the rest of Europe) where most modern VCRs will play back NTSC
tapes in a bastardized PAL format (basically they correct the color information but
leave the frame rate and horizontal sync the same).

Here's a link:

https://padlock.netnation.com/~volts...een=CTGY&Store
_Code=110220volts&Category_Code=MultiSystem+VCR%27 s

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 15th 2002, 12:33 am
Jim

I know that when I lived in Los Angeles, there were electronics stores in the Russian
community that sold these VCR's. So, your best bet is something along those lines: an
electronics store in an ethnic community.

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 07:54:23 -0500, Biggie wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 15th 2002, 4:48 am
Kay

Hi Biggie,

The VCR I bought to play all my PAL video tapes and American hubbys NTSC tapes was a
Samsung SV-5000W. I ordered it from UK to be sent to hubby using a Mastercard from;
http://www.buyundercost.com They are presently selling it at $399.95. The beauty of
this was that we found hubby could record PAL tapes to send to me in UK, now I am in
USA I can play all my PAL tapes here too! I understand I can also view my English
camcorder tapes through it, though I haven't tried that yet. No extra equipment is
needed to watch tapes as with some VCR's. Cheapest I found and even I can understand
how to use it!

Kay Carter (K3 in Oklahoma)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 15th 2002, 8:08 am
Kent Simcox

>
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Hi,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Does anybody know whether I can buy a universal VCR in the U.S. that plays videos[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > both in NTSC and in PAL? I'd love to take some of my European videos with me, but[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the American VCRs won't play them.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thanks[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Biggie[/usenetquote2]

Dear Biggie, I was checking on a pal/secam system not very long ago, and found them
to be extremely expensive. Therfore, I am going to buy one when I go back to Moscow
next Friday! If you or yours is still abroad, you might consider bringing one
with you. Kent

Old Jan 15th 2002, 9:53 am
James Donovan

[email protected] (Biggie)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

www.220-electronics.com has multisystem VCR's TV's etc.

However, another alternate method is to capture the tapes on a PAL capture card on
your PC and make NTSC video CD's that will play on your NTSC DVD player. You can find
out how to do this at www.vcdhelp.com. If you don't have a cap card, many video
stores will now do the conversion for you.

A good thing to have as well is a multisystem/multiregion DVD player which will play
your PAL DVD's. avdeals.com has a Malata DVD N-966 which is region free, PAL-NTSC,
multi voltage, built in Dolby Digital/DTS decoder (with 6 analog outputs) and
progressive scan. It plays everything including DVD/VCD/SVCD/MP3/CDRW/CDR. It also
has karaoke. Don't let the brand fool you, Malata has been in business for YEARS in
China. Their operations are also fairly large. The price for the Malata is pretty
good too, $289.99.

All my old PAL tapes are now on SVCD, the conversion is excellent and as an added
benefit there is no wear and tear and no rewinding

Rick.

Old Jan 15th 2002, 6:43 pm
Michael Voight

Kay wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

We have the 5000W. It it has inputs and outputs for multiple formats and also creates
tapes in multiple formats. It has been great. Of course, some of the Russian tapes
are of such bad quality even the auto tracking can't help them.

Michael

Old May 27th 2002, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

Tahsa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: VCRs

I have been looking as well for a NTSC/PAL converter. I priced one at $369.00. The problem is tho you need more than a converter is what I was reading. You would need a multisystem vcr. If you goto www.askjeeves.com and type in NTSC/PAL converter....... it will come up with a list of all that you could possibly need.
Old May 27th 2002, 8:20 pm
Mrtravel

We paid about $450 for a multisystem VCR 2 years ago that has a built in converter
for multiple type of output. It accepts input in multiple formats, plays and records
tapes in multiple formats, and also outputs in multiple formats.

Tahsa wrote:
    >
    > I have been looking as well for a NTSC/PAL converter. I priced one at $369.00. The
    > problem is tho you need more than a converter is what I was reading. You would need
    > a multisystem vcr. If you goto www.askjeeves.com and type in NTSC/PAL
    > converter....... it will come up with a list of all that you could possibly need.
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 29th 2002, 6:20 am
Marieta

HI

Does anyone know if the DVDs in the US are the same as in Europe? A friend told me
that if I got DVDs here in EU that I couldn't play them on the DVD players in the US
(not all of them anyways). Anyone knows anything about this?

M

Old May 29th 2002, 6:20 am
Andy Platt

news:[email protected]...
    > HI
    >
    > Does anyone know if the DVDs in the US are the same as in Europe? A friend told me
    > that if I got DVDs here in EU that I couldn't play them on the DVD players in the
    > US (not all of them anyways). Anyone knows anything about this?

There are two issues here:

a) Regional coding. The studios insisted on some way to code DVDs so that they could
control the release of DVDs in different markets. This is an entirely artificial
concept rather than a technical issue. Some DVD players are multi-region (either
as bought or by being chipped) and will allow you to defeat this - perhaps by
specifying what region it should pretend it is. Newer (and by which I mean in the
last two-three years) PC DVD players also have this built in but most can have the
firmware patched to allow you to reset it as much as you like.

Most DVD players sold in the US will only play region 1 discs.

b) PAL versus NTSC. Europe uses PAL (France uses SECAM) which has a different
resolution, frame rate and color specification that NTSC used in the US and
Canada. This is a real underlying technical issue rather than one "made up" by the
studios. Because the predominant flow of exported DVDs is from the US to Europe
(and also to a lesser extent because it's simpler to go from NTSC to PAL) many
European DVD players will play NTSC DVDs and put it out with PAL color coding but
with NTSC resolution and frame rates. Modern PAL TVs have no problem with this
"pseudo PAL". Going the other way around is rare so, again, most DVD players sold
in the US will not play PAL discs.

Note that this isn't an issue with PCs which can play PAL and NTSC discs fine.

So, if you want a DVD player that will play European DVDs, either bring one from
Europe with a TV and use a voltage converter, or use your PC or look into (expensive)
multisystem devices; here's one website (I've never used them but they have a good
selection):

http://www.110-220volts.com/index.shtml

Andy.

--

Old May 29th 2002, 10:20 pm
Lottie Stannard

What about bringing my NTSC playback VCR and multi region DVD to the states and using
a voltage converter? Will this work?

**L**

"Andy Platt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > HI
    > >
    > > Does anyone know if the DVDs in the US are the same as in Europe? A friend told
    > > me that if I got DVDs here in EU that I couldn't play them on the DVD players in
    > > the US (not all of them anyways). Anyone knows anything about this?
    >
    > There are two issues here:
    >
    > a) Regional coding. The studios insisted on some way to code DVDs so that they
    > could control the release of DVDs in different markets. This is an entirely
    > artificial concept rather than a technical issue. Some DVD
players
    > are multi-region (either as bought or by being chipped) and will allow you to
    > defeat this - perhaps by specifying what region it should pretend it
is.
    > Newer (and by which I mean in the last two-three years) PC DVD players
also
    > have this built in but most can have the firmware patched to allow you to reset it
    > as much as you like.
    >
    > Most DVD players sold in the US will only play region 1 discs.
    >
    > b) PAL versus NTSC. Europe uses PAL (France uses SECAM) which has a different
    > resolution, frame rate and color specification that NTSC used in the US and
    > Canada. This is a real underlying technical issue rather than
one
    > "made up" by the studios. Because the predominant flow of exported DVDs is from the
    > US to Europe (and also to a lesser extent because it's simpler to go from NTSC to
    > PAL) many European DVD players will play NTSC DVDs and put it out with PAL color
    > coding but with NTSC resolution and frame rates. Modern PAL TVs have no problem
    > with this "pseudo PAL". Going the other way around is rare so, again, most DVD
    > players sold in the US will not play
PAL
    > discs.
    >
    > Note that this isn't an issue with PCs which can play PAL and NTSC discs fine.
    >
    > So, if you want a DVD player that will play European DVDs, either bring
one
    > from Europe with a TV and use a voltage converter, or use your PC or look into
    > (expensive) multisystem devices; here's one website (I've never used them but they
    > have a good selection):
    >
    > http://www.110-220volts.com/index.shtml
    >
    > Andy.
    >
    > --
    > I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old May 29th 2002, 11:20 pm
Mrtravel

lottie stannard wrote:
    >
    > What about bringing my NTSC playback VCR and multi region DVD to the states and
    > using a voltage converter? Will this work?
    >

Why wouldn't it?

Old May 29th 2002, 11:20 pm
Lottie Stannard

wasnt sure if I need to have a UK tv to use the PAL video?

"mrtravel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > lottie stannard wrote:
    > >
    > > What about bringing my NTSC playback VCR and multi region DVD to the
states
    > > and using a voltage converter? Will this work?
    > >
    >
    > Why wouldn't it?

Old May 30th 2002, 12:20 am
Andy Platt

"lottie stannard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > What about bringing my NTSC playback VCR and multi region DVD to the
states
    > and using a voltage converter? Will this work?

If you bring the TV too.

Andy.

--

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.