Vaccinations etc for UK citizen

Old Feb 18th 2001, 6:10 pm
Paul

It's that time to start thinking about the medical for a K-1, I'm givne to understand that
as a UK citizen, born after 1957, I need an MMR and a tetanus. According to some ancient
Vacccination records that I have, I had a measles jab in 1971, aged 1.....

The last recorded Tetanus I had was in 1981, though I actually had one about 5 years ago,
after drinking too much and headbutting a paving slab.

So my questions are, will I need a full MMR, and how about a tetanus booster (can't hurt
I suppose)

Cheers

Paul

Old Feb 18th 2001, 6:35 pm
Andy Platt

> It's that time to start thinking about the medical for a K-1, I'm givne to understand
> that as a UK citizen, born after 1957, I need an MMR and a tetanus. According to some
> ancient Vacccination records that I have, I
had
> a measles jab in 1971, aged 1.....
>
> The last recorded Tetanus I had was in 1981, though I actually had one about 5 years
> ago, after drinking too much and headbutting a paving slab.
>
> So my questions are, will I need a full MMR, and how about a tetanus
booster
> (can't hurt I suppose)

Yes (I also had a measles jab but got the full MMR) and yes. In actual fact the tetanus is
tetanus/dyptheria (TD).

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Feb 18th 2001, 9:26 pm
Nalu

The TD (Tetatuns) needs a boost shot every 10 years, it won't hurt you to get another one.
(check with your doctor if less than 10 years from the last recorded shot you had).

About the MMR, what you can do, is get a blood test, where they do an antibody test, they
will check if you have active antibodies for rubella and varicella (check with your
doctor). I got the blood test for this, and came out positive, meaning that I didn't need
another shot of this.

Also make sure you have the hepatitis B shot series (3 total). This takes 6 months
to complete.

What my doctor wanted to know, is not only if I had the shots recently, but most
importantly that I was "IMMUNE" to the diseases. The supplement form for the I-693 has
several columns and one of them asks about being immune to measles, mumps and rubella.

Good luck.

| > It's that time to start thinking about the medical for a K-1, I'm
givne to
| > understand that as a UK citizen, born after 1957, I need an MMR
and a
| > tetanus. According to some ancient Vacccination records that I
have, I
| had
| > a measles jab in 1971, aged 1.....
| >
| > The last recorded Tetanus I had was in 1981, though I actually had
one
| > about 5 years ago, after drinking too much and headbutting a
paving slab.
| >
| > So my questions are, will I need a full MMR, and how about a
tetanus
| booster
| > (can't hurt I suppose)

Old Feb 18th 2001, 10:37 pm
Beth Bell

Hey- that's *my* Paul writing in here on this post... the Hepatitis B shots... 6 months!
Does everyone have to go thru the 6 month series before moving? We were planning on
marrying at the end of May. Can he start the course over there and finish it over here?
Might he already have it if he got jabbed to travel to South East Asia? Thanks ya'll,
Lonesome without my hunny, Beth

----------

>The TD (Tetatuns) needs a boost shot every 10 years, it won't hurt you to get another
>one. (check with your doctor if less than 10 years from the last recorded shot you had).
>
>About the MMR, what you can do, is get a blood test, where they do an antibody test, they
>will check if you have active antibodies for rubella and varicella (check with your
>doctor). I got the blood test for this, and came out positive, meaning that I didn't need
>another shot of this.
>
>Also make sure you have the hepatitis B shot series (3 total). This takes 6 months to
>complete.
>
>What my doctor wanted to know, is not only if I had the shots recently, but most
>importantly that I was "IMMUNE" to the diseases. The supplement form for the I-693 has
>several columns and one of them asks about being immune to measles, mumps and rubella.
>
>Good luck.
>
>
>| > It's that time to start thinking about the medical for a K-1, I'm
>givne to
>| > understand that as a UK citizen, born after 1957, I need an MMR
>and a
>| > tetanus. According to some ancient Vacccination records that I
>have, I
>| had
>| > a measles jab in 1971, aged 1.....
>| >
>| > The last recorded Tetanus I had was in 1981, though I actually had
>one
>| > about 5 years ago, after drinking too much and headbutting a
>paving slab.
>| >
>| > So my questions are, will I need a full MMR, and how about a
>tetanus
>| booster
>| > (can't hurt I suppose)

Old Feb 19th 2001, 6:10 am
Nalu

Yes, you can get the 3rd shot anywhere. Just take your immunizations record. Actually I
still need the 3rd shot, and I already filed for AOS. The only remark my civil surgeon
told me was "Make sure you get the 3rd" lol.... He didn't write anything on the forms
against me not having the 3rd one yet.

And yes, the 6 months for the Hepatitis B is the only way (as far as I know, I have spoken
to 2 different doctors, and that was their response, that's how long the antibodies take
to develop).

Good luck, Nalu

| Hey- that's *my* Paul writing in here on this post... the Hepatitis B shots... 6 months!
| Does everyone have to go thru the
6 month
| series before moving? We were planning on marrying at the end of
May. Can he
| start the course over there and finish it over here? Might he already have it if he got
| jabbed to travel to South East
Asia?
| Thanks ya'll, Lonesome without my hunny, Beth
|

Old Feb 19th 2001, 10:49 pm
Diane M

Actually, you get partial (short-term) immunity after the first shot, but it isn't stable
until after the 3rd. I only know this because I was planning on going to Africa this year,
and spoke with the vaccination clinic at my hospital. I was concerned that I didn't have
time for the full series. (I'm postponing the trip until next year now, so there is no
problem at all) They weren't worried. It's a good idea for American citizens to get the
Hepatitis B vaccinations as well, btw. It's not a common disease, but it's nasty.

Diane M.

Nalu wrote:

> Yes, you can get the 3rd shot anywhere. Just take your immunizations record. Actually I
> still need the 3rd shot, and I already filed for AOS. The only remark my civil surgeon
> told me was "Make sure you get the 3rd" lol.... He didn't write anything on the forms
> against me not having the 3rd one yet.
>
> And yes, the 6 months for the Hepatitis B is the only way (as far as I know, I have
> spoken to 2 different doctors, and that was their response, that's how long the
> antibodies take to develop).
>
> Good luck, Nalu

Old Feb 20th 2001, 2:52 am
Nalu

Well.. I took a blood test 2 weeks after my 2nd Hepatitis B shot. It came out negative,
meaning there are no antibodies yet. I am not a doctor, but just letting you know the
results. Two doctors told me that this antibodies start to develop aproximately 6 weeks
after the 3rd shot is taken. It is a long time to get the 3 shots, but worth
it.

| Actually, you get partial (short-term) immunity after the first
shot, but it isn't stable
| until after the 3rd. I only know this because I was planning on
going to Africa this
| year, and spoke with the vaccination clinic at my hospital. I was
concerned that I didn't
| have time for the full series. (I'm postponing the trip until next
year now, so there is
| no problem at all) They weren't worried. It's a good idea for
American citizens to get
| the Hepatitis B vaccinations as well, btw. It's not a common
disease, but it's nasty.
|
| Diane M.
|
| Nalu wrote:
|
| > Yes, you can get the 3rd shot anywhere. Just take your
immunizations
| > record. Actually I still need the 3rd shot, and I already filed
for
| > AOS. The only remark my civil surgeon told me was "Make sure you
get
| > the 3rd" lol.... He didn't write anything on the forms against
me
| > not having the 3rd one yet.
| >
| > And yes, the 6 months for the Hepatitis B is the only way (as far
as I
| > know, I have spoken to 2 different doctors, and that was their response, that's how
| > long the antibodies take to develop).
| >
| > Good luck, Nalu
|