Vaccinations for AOS

Old Jul 16th 2003, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

GarethMc is just really niceGarethMc is just really niceGarethMc is just really niceGarethMc is just really niceGarethMc is just really niceGarethMc is just really niceGarethMc is just really niceGarethMc is just really nice
Default Vaccinations for AOS

I will be filing my AOS papers in a few weeks' time, just after we get married. I don't need the medical, since I had one in April, but according to the form I do need a 'vaccination supplement'.

At the time of my medical, the doctor gave me a whole bunch of vaccinations, since I didn't have any proof that I had received such shots before, and entered them into the little yellow book that people routinely get for travel shots (he gave me measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, polio, diphtheria).

Is this adequate as a 'vaccination supplement' or is there, in fact, something I need to get from the local civil surgeon in the US? Will the charge be less? (The charge for a full I-693 exam would have been $150).

Thanks for your help!

Gareth
Old Jul 16th 2003, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Vaccinations for AOS

Call ins approved doctors (civil surgeons) in your area (get list from INS 1800 number or from internet). Ask them how much they charge for just the vaccination supplement (some charge the full exam ~$150, some charge a "small" fee for just the vaccination supplement ~$30). Then, take your yellow booklet to the doctor and that is it if you are up to date with your vaccinations (i.e. if you do not need more shots as boosters shortly after the ones the doctor gave you. I am thinking about the 3 shots for hepatitis B for example). If you do need more shots, I would advise you to contact your health provider and to have them give you and record the additional vaccines on the yellow booklets. Then, take the completed yellow booklet to the civil surgeon.

Caroline
Old Jul 16th 2003, 9:06 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Caro
Call ins approved doctors (civil surgeons) in your area (get list from INS 1800 number or from internet). Ask them how much they charge for just the vaccination supplement (some charge the full exam ~$150, some charge a "small" fee for just the vaccination supplement ~$30). Then, take your yellow booklet to the doctor and that is it if you are up to date with your vaccinations (i.e. if you do not need more shots as boosters shortly after the ones the doctor gave you. I am thinking about the 3 shots for hepatitis B for example). If you do need more shots, I would advise you to contact your health provider and to have them give you and record the additional vaccines on the yellow booklets. Then, take the completed yellow booklet to the civil surgeon.

Caroline

If the OP is 20 years or older they should not need the Hep B vaccination as a general rule of thumb.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by lairdside
If the OP is 20 years or older they should not need the Hep B vaccination as a general rule of thumb.
Actually, the chart from the doctor said that you didn't need it if you were older than 18 years. I just used the Hep B as an example of a vaccine that requires several shots in the first few months, so that even if he got shot #1 abroad, he will still need shot #2 and 3 in the US, because otherwise, I imagine the civil surgeon won't sign the vaccination supplement. Sorry if I wasn't clear...

Caroline
Old Jul 17th 2003, 8:54 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Actually, the chart from the doctor said that you didn't need it if you were older than 18 years. I just used the Hep B as an example of a vaccine that requires several shots in the first few months, so that even if he got shot #1 abroad, he will still need shot #2 and 3 in the US, because otherwise, I imagine the civil surgeon won't sign the vaccination supplement. Sorry if I wasn't clear...

Caroline
Ah

I was going by the London Embassy vaccination chart which says that Hep B is required "usually" through 19 years of age.

Oh joy, the inconsistencies...

I don't know of any other shots usually required for people from the UK which require multiple shots over a period of time. My daughter had Hep A but that was for the school district.

You can have tenanus as a series but have found so far that a single shot booster is sufficient for immigration.

I agree that it's always possible, with this immigration malarchy virtually anything is it seems
Old Jul 17th 2003, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by lairdside
Ah

I was going by the London Embassy vaccination chart which says that Hep B is required "usually" through 19 years of age.

Oh joy, the inconsistencies...

[...]
Well, I can not find the page anymore with the chart since they changed their page recently...

Even the doctors get confused! The doctor told me I needed MMR but was showing me an old chart that said I didn't need MMR, so then he realized it and showed me a new chart.

If you want to know everything about the medical, here is a link:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/civil.htm

Caroline
Old Jul 17th 2003, 10:21 pm
Howling at the Moon

Well, I can not find the page anymore with the chart since they changed their page recently...

Even the doctors get confused! The doctor told me I needed MMR but was showing me an old chart that said I didn't need MMR, so then he realized it and showed me a new chart.

Caroline
Thank you for the link.

I have read previous information from the CDC but not that particular one which I can recall.

I know that even the physicians are sometimes confused, in their defence you should try extracting correct information out of a patient...lol

Not everyone is as concise about matters as yourself.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 10:25 pm
Howling at the Moon

Caroline
Btw - here's the link for the chart.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web...ccinechart.htm