Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Vaccination requirements: Lost records

Vaccination requirements: Lost records

Old Sep 29th 2008, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

FlyingCuckoosNest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vaccination requirements: Lost records

I have just returned all my Step 1 forms (DS-156 etc) and am in th eprocess of gathering the supporting documents. On trying to get my vaccination records from my Doctor it seems that my childhood records are incomplete and looking further the local auth's don't have anything from when I would have received vacs at school.

It looks like I will have to do a whole course of vaccines to meet the requirements, so I was just wondering EXACTLY what it is that I need. The only proof I have is Hep A around 1994 and Typhoid and Hepatitis in 2003.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm 34 and looking at the info on form IV18a it looks like I need Varicella (not available in the UK) and Influenza - is this all?

What happens about the Varicella? (I have had chickenpox but I don't think I could prove it!)

Thanks

Last edited by FlyingCuckoosNest; Sep 29th 2008 at 1:43 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 2:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vaccination requirements: Lost records

You won't have to do a whole course of vaccinations. Records are great but not a requirement. You will need the ones that not available in the UK but available in the US and you will need current jabs for Tentenus <sp>, etc.

Have the test done that shows if you are immuned or not for the Chicken Pox and you will need Hep B.

Originally Posted by FlyingCuckoosNest
I have just returned all my Step 1 forms (DS-156 etc) and am in th eprocess of gathering the supporting documents. On trying to get my vaccination records from my Doctor it seems that my childhood records are incomplete and looking further the local auth's don't have anything from when I would have received vacs at school.

It looks like I will have to do a whole course of vaccines to meet the requirements, so I was just wondering EXACTLY what it is that I need. The only proof I have is Hep A around 1994 and Typhoid and Hepatitis in 2003.

I'm 34 and looking at the info on form IV18a it looks like I need Varicella (not available in the UK) and Influenza - is this all?

What happens about the Varicella? (I have had chickenpox but I don't think I could prove it!)

Thanks
Old Sep 29th 2008, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks - So if I just get the record for the Hep B I had in 2003, and have a Tetanus at my Doctors before going to my medical that should be fine? They will arrange the chickenpox test thing at the medical or do I need to organise that before?

Failing all else if I turned up at the medical with no records, would they just give me what I needed there and then? (obviously at the charges they listed)

The other thing is that I have moved to another borough from my present Doctor so really need to register at one locally, this all takes time as they have to get the records moved etc.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 3:06 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

The Medical Examination
(London)

The medical examination is performed at one of two medical centers in London. The medical examination cannot be performed by the applicant's own physician.

Detailed information on the location of the medical centers and scheduling the medical appointment will be provided to the applicant when he or she receives notification of the date and time of the formal visa interview.

The medical examination must take place before the visa interview. The medical results will be couriered to the Embassy within 2 – 3 workdays of the examination.
The medical examination

The medical examination consists of a chest X-ray and blood test, which includes testing for HIV infection (AIDS) and venereal disease. The blood test and X-ray are generally not required of persons under the age of 15 on the date of the appointment. Pregnant women may forgo the X-ray if they so wish. However, they will be required to have an X-ray in the United States after the birth of the child.

On the day of the medical examination, the physician will be required to verify that the immigrant visa applicant has met the vaccination requirement, or that it is medically inappropriate for the applicant to receive one or more of the following vaccinations: Mumps; Measles; Rubella; Polio; Tetanus and Diphtheria Toxoids; Pertussis, Influenza Type B (HIB), Hepatitis B, Varicella, Pneumococcal, Influenza, Rotavirus; Hepatitis A; Meningococcal MCV and Human Papilloma Virus.

Note: Fiance(e), ), Kii and V visa applicants will not be required to meet the vaccination requirements at the time of the visa interview. They will however be required to meet the requirements at the time they apply for an adjustment of status with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

mrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant future

Hi

Just looking at the up to date schedule that was sent to me a month ago at 34 you need a tetanus/diptheria injection.

You do not need HEP A only newborns to 2 years old.

You do not need HEP B as only for Birth - 18 years. (If you have had a course of Hep B vaccinations, you only need to get a blood test done at doctors to check for immunity).

You do not need flu vac as you are not over 50 or under 5 years old. Hope this helps.

You do not mention MMR, even though I had rubella vaccine at school years ago, I went along and had MMR at doctors as this is also a requirement (thats another £35.00, at KD's. You can get at doctors, I did not pay for any vaccines, as they given by routine to babies & adults.

It will probably be easier just to go to doctors and have a tetanus injection
and it should be cheaper than £30.00! at Knightsbridge doctors.

As you can see I am into saving as much money as we can, as the dollars dropping, so is our savings

I am going through the process at the moment and have a 16 month old girl who last week had a combined HEP A & B vaccine and the next in 6 months.

Hopes this helps.

Amanda
Old Sep 29th 2008, 3:18 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

If you do need vaccinations try to get them at your local doctor in the UK. My fiancee did and it was covered NHS. Knightsbridge doctors charges quite a bit and it can really add up.My fiancee got his before his interview and medical. He took the form from the USCIS website of required vacs to his local clinic in Scotland and they gave him what was needed. He had a history of chicken pox and the doctor wrote VH for varicella history on the form. We thought he would need the shot but the USCIS doctor here in the states said that he didn't and filled out the form vaccination history complete. Quite a ew of the shots were not age appropriate for him. He's 37. The varicella shot is not available in the UK as you mentioned.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all, this is looking less painful now (arm and wallet!)

So it looks like:

Tetanus/Diptheria
MMR

Still unsure about what to do re. Varicella, I guess I'll be advised at the medical as it's not available, or I'll ask my Doctor if there is a test, not sure if there's a record of me having chicken pox when I was young.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 3:35 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

So it looks like:

Tetanus/Diptheria
MMR

Still unsure about what to do re. Varicella, I guess I'll be advised at the medical as it's not available, or I'll ask my Doctor if there is a test, not sure if there's a record of me having chicken pox when I was young.
There is a test called the titre test that can check for antibodies and if you have had chicken pox it should show that . The varicella vaccine is not cheap so if you know that you have had chicken pox it might be worth checking into
Old Sep 29th 2008, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by penguinbar
There is a test called the titre test that can check for antibodies and if you have had chicken pox it should show that . The varicella vaccine is not cheap so if you know that you have had chicken pox it might be worth checking into
aah so that's what it's called - Thanks, I'll check into it!
Old Sep 29th 2008, 3:40 pm

Sure! My fiancee went to his local NHS clinic for the vacs. A private doctor will harge. He didn't pay a thing and got quite a few jabs there. I would check with your local clinic about the titre test as well.

Last edited by penguinbar; Sep 29th 2008 at 3:40 pm. Reason: I meant charge
Old Sep 29th 2008, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Skiboy is an unknown quantity at this point

So it looks like:

Tetanus/Diptheria
MMR

Hi

You won't need (get) the Varicella, as it's not available. I had my medical back in August, and had no records of any previous vaccinations. I just required the Tetanus/Diptheria booster and MMR.

Paul
Old Sep 30th 2008, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

welshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud of

The doctors surgery should be able to call a magic vaccination line...thats what mine did when I went there last wednesday, and it revealed that Id not had my MMR, so I had the first shot there and then. What a thrill! Im sure the nurse wiggled the needle a bit in my arm too... and she wouldnt give me a "i was brave at the doctors" sticker either!!