Vaccination info for parents.

Old Dec 6th 2009, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vaccination info for parents.

When I attended the medical for my son (16) and myself earlier this week, the injection nurse there commented that I was one of the few parents who have ever turned up with the required inoculations and every certificate for their child. In the hope that this will help others here’s how I went about it and a word of caution on UK GP’s total lack of understanding of the Immigration system and how costly their mistakes can be!

When we first started the Visa process my husband USC went to the local high school to register my son, although he found out that this cant be done until we are there with visa’s in hand, he was quite concerned that they were more interested in sons inoculation record than his birth certificate etc. Husband then spoke to the HR lady at his work who provided us with a list of required vaccinations for school entry. We are in California but this varies from state to state, so people need to check based on where they will live.

Son was up to date with all the vaccinations for the UK but on top of this he needed HEP B (3 doses) 2 a month apart and the 3rd after 6 months.

Also was the illusive Varicella, a quick Google search revealed this to be Chickenpox vaccination, this is not given in the UK. My son has had chickenpox so I was a little concerned about him having the injection.

I made an appointment to see the nurse at my GP’s surgery and took the vaccination form with me. The HEP B was no problem and son began the course. The nurse said that I would have to make an appointment with the GP for a private prescription for the Varicella, which I duly did. The GP checked the form, looked it up in a book and agreed that my son needed it and gave me the prescription.

I took this to the Chemist where after numerous telephone calls I was advised that it was going to cost me £115.00, as I had no choice I agreed to pay. I collected the prescription a few weeks later and attended the GP’s with my son for it to be given.

When the nurse called us in she was rather red faced and said that another GP had reviewed the case and I should not have been given the prescription. It seems that the procedure should have been for my son to have a blood test if the results of which show that he had already had chickenpox then I would be given a printout by the GP to prove this with no need for the vaccination. So £115.00 lighter the blood test was duly done!

The nurse did call the chemist but they refused to take the Varicella back or give me a refund.

A few days later we attended the GP’s where we were given a print out signed by the GP proving son’s immunity. It shows sons name, date of birth, address and GP’s details.

Apparently many parents are not aware that this service is available and FREE in the UK.

Also my Doctors charged £40 for HEP B each time. The Embassy Doctors charge £35 for HEP B and only £60 should the Varicella be needed!
Old Dec 6th 2009, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Vaccination info for parents.

Thanks for this Tracy. I am in the process of a K1 visa and I have a two year old son. I recently visited my GP's surgery to discuss getting my son's vaccinations at least started before we attend our medical. My GP was completely unhelpful and told me that the vaccinations that my son required for his visa were not routinely given to children of his age in the UK so therefore they would not be available from my GP surgery. I am going to go back and speak to another doctor but maybe it would be cheaper just to have them done at the Knightsbridge doctors anyway. Thank you for the info.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 5:17 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

The vaccine chart is posted here:
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...cinechart.html

Not all vaccines are age-appropriate; the immigration doc knows this and does not require unnecesary doses.

The blood tests are called 'titre' tests; they can check to see if you have an immunity already (from having the disease or a previous vaccine).

Varicella (chickenpox) is marked 'Not available in the UK' and the requirement may be waived (not sure on what changes have occured with this since we went.. DH did not have to get a varicella shot for whatever reason, and he interviewed in Greece. The doc there took his history into account and did not require it.).
Old Dec 6th 2009, 5:54 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna

Varicella (chickenpox) is marked 'Not available in the UK' and the requirement may be waived (not sure on what changes have occured with this since we went.. DH did not have to get a varicella shot for whatever reason, and he interviewed in Greece. The doc there took his history into account and did not require it.).
London give you a 212(g)(2)(B) waiver on the visa.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 5:58 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
London give you a 212(g)(2)(B) waiver on the visa.
thenk yew.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Well I just hope this may save someone some money!