USDA Vet in Florida ????

Old Jan 8th 2009, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

michmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to all
Default USDA Vet in Florida ????

I was wondering if anybody can help me. I am wanting to go ahead and start the PETS Scheme process for my 4 cats as we are planning to move back to UK around August time. Time is of essence and I can't find a USDA approved vet anywhere in Orlando.

I have called severals vets offices and they confirm they are not. They can do all the process for us BUT say we'd need to then be approved and filled out paperwork with a USDA vet. One of the persons I spoke with says there is only one in Gainsville.

The average costing is coming out at around $1,400 for 2 microchips (2 already have them) and 4 rabies shots and 4 titres. Is this about right?

I am not to bothered about cost as I'll know it's gonna cost me a pretty penny. I'm more worried about finding a USDA approved vet that I can go to to get all completed without having to seek one out after I've done all process.

Does anybody know of any in the Central Florida area?? I don't mind travelling if I have to.

Thanks in anticipation for your help.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USDA Vet in Florida ????

Originally Posted by michmel
I was wondering if anybody can help me. I am wanting to go ahead and start the PETS Scheme process for my 4 cats as we are planning to move back to UK around August time. Time is of essence and I can't find a USDA approved vet anywhere in Orlando.

I have called severals vets offices and they confirm they are not. They can do all the process for us BUT say we'd need to then be approved and filled out paperwork with a USDA vet. One of the persons I spoke with says there is only one in Gainsville.

The average costing is coming out at around $1,400 for 2 microchips (2 already have them) and 4 rabies shots and 4 titres. Is this about right?

I am not to bothered about cost as I'll know it's gonna cost me a pretty penny. I'm more worried about finding a USDA approved vet that I can go to to get all completed without having to seek one out after I've done all process.

Does anybody know of any in the Central Florida area?? I don't mind travelling if I have to.

Thanks in anticipation for your help.
Why do they need to be a USDA vet? I don't see that anywhere in the PETS documentation.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

michmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to all

Originally Posted by notacrime
Why do they need to be a USDA vet? I don't see that anywhere in the PETS documentation.
I must have read it wrong. Maybe it's the last procedure whereby the certificate has to be signed off by a USDA approved Vet?????

Confused....

Can anybody clarify?
Old Jan 8th 2009, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

I must have read it wrong. Maybe it's the last procedure whereby the certificate has to be signed off by a USDA approved Vet?????

Confused....

Can anybody clarify?
The PETS requirements are laid down by a UK entity, so it would be odd that they would require anything to be USDA since that's a US-specific thing.

Maybe you are getting it confused with the requirement that the rabies titer be done in an EU-approved lab?

It is my understanding that vet qualified to practise in an approved country (and the US is an approved country) can fill in the Veterinary Certificate.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by notacrime
The PETS requirements are laid down by a UK entity, so it would be odd that they would require anything to be USDA since that's a US-specific thing.

Maybe you are getting it confused with the requirement that the rabies titer be done in an EU-approved lab?

It is my understanding that vet qualified to practise in an approved country (and the US is an approved country) can fill in the Veterinary Certificate.
Gosh, I'm confused. I think I got that info from one of the receptionists at the vets I have enquired at. Saying that all vaccination record will have to be send to a USDA vet in Gainesville to be signed of in order to get the Certificate to travel.

I am going to another Vet on Monday (because they quoted me a more reasonable price), so I'll ask them when I go there about that.

thanks!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gosh, I'm confused. I think I got that info from one of the receptionists at the vets I have enquired at. Saying that all vaccination record will have to be send to a USDA vet in Gainesville to be signed of in order to get the Certificate to travel.

I am going to another Vet on Monday (because they quoted me a more reasonable price), so I'll ask them when I go there about that.

thanks!
I experienced a lot of this when preparing our cat to come over to Scotland in 2007. I don't think many US vets are experienced with it, so you have to be well prepared and know exactly what you need them to do (and in this case, don't need them to do.)
Old Jan 8th 2009, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

I just called the USDA Office and they have confirmed that the vet I am going to go to is USDA approved vet, so at least I'll be safe just incase this is what I am supposed to be doing in the first place rather than using one that's not.

Also, regarding the microchip, they use home away and I have been recommended to get the avid euro chip.

Does anybody out there know if there's really any problem not getting the AVID euro chip, because this particular vet doesn't offer it?

thanks for your help.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 10:11 am
Just Joined

ninakula is just really niceninakula is just really niceninakula is just really niceninakula is just really niceninakula is just really niceninakula is just really niceninakula is just really niceninakula is just really nice

I think I can help!!!

Having moved from Florida last Dec with my 2 dogs and 3 cats, I had to undertake the same task and actually found the cheapest and most effective way.

Here are a couple of options:

I had a vet in Oviedo (NW of Orlando off the 417) Oviedo Animal Hospital Tel: 407 365 6947. They can do everything for you regarding microchips, rabies vaccs and then the titer test - this is not too expensive - if I can find my bills then I will let you know exactly but I think around $140 per animal.

When you get the titer test result you have to wait 7 months before applying for a passport. You can send the titer test to: USDA - VS Import/Export, 7022 - NW 10th Pl., Gainsville, FL 32607 I would call them to check on any new updates as DEFRA seem to change the rules quite frequently. USDA charges $24 for a certificate/passport per pet.

When you send them back to the UK, I would suggest using "Animals Away" - they were absolutely brilliant with all my animals (who I actually had sent to Portugal in the end - another story). Their number is: 718 461 5684 They do a door to door service and would not be that expensive for the cats.

I also spoke to a guy a Virgin in Orlando who was very helpful if you want to put them on the plane yourself - I can dig out his info if you want - however, if you are only just starting on the process then you have 7 months before you start worrying about transportation!!

If I can be of any help at all then pm me and I will find all the other paperwork and contacts and try and help you through.

Hope this helps as a start
Old Jan 31st 2009, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Rebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura about

I just called the USDA Office and they have confirmed that the vet I am going to go to is USDA approved vet, so at least I'll be safe just incase this is what I am supposed to be doing in the first place rather than using one that's not.

Also, regarding the microchip, they use home away and I have been recommended to get the avid euro chip.

Does anybody out there know if there's really any problem not getting the AVID euro chip, because this particular vet doesn't offer it?

thanks for your help.
Maybe I can help too. When I took my cats over in 2005 we went through all of this. I was in Clearwater so my particular vet will be of no use to you. However, the process will be the same.

I bought my Avid Euro Chip from an online company - Countryside Pet Supply (www.countrysidepet.com) They sell all of the Avid chips, so make sure you get the Euro Chip. It's a 10 digit ID number instead of the standard 9 the US uses.
It was pretty reasonable and in fact I've microchipped the 2 dogs we have acquired since we've been here with the same chip just in case we ever return to the UK. (fingers crossed!)

The tricky part is having the titre drawn and sent to the correct lab. There is only one lab in the US that is approved by DEFRA. It is at Kansas State University. Silly, I know, but if your vet utilizes a local lab DEFRA will not recognize the results as valid. VERY important.

I had my vet draw the titre and then FedEx the sample to the lab. They have a website (www.vet.ksu.edu/rabies) and I have the address:
Attn: FAVN Rabies Laboratory
1800 Denison Avenue
Mosier Hall
Kansas State University
Manhattan, KS USA 66506-5600

Hope this helps!
Old Jan 31st 2009, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rebster
Maybe I can help too. When I took my cats over in 2005 we went through all of this. I was in Clearwater so my particular vet will be of no use to you. However, the process will be the same.

I bought my Avid Euro Chip from an online company - Countryside Pet Supply (www.countrysidepet.com) They sell all of the Avid chips, so make sure you get the Euro Chip. It's a 10 digit ID number instead of the standard 9 the US uses.
It was pretty reasonable and in fact I've microchipped the 2 dogs we have acquired since we've been here with the same chip just in case we ever return to the UK. (fingers crossed!)

The tricky part is having the titre drawn and sent to the correct lab. There is only one lab in the US that is approved by DEFRA. It is at Kansas State University. Silly, I know, but if your vet utilizes a local lab DEFRA will not recognize the results as valid. VERY important.

I had my vet draw the titre and then FedEx the sample to the lab. They have a website (www.vet.ksu.edu/rabies) and I have the address:
Attn: FAVN Rabies Laboratory
1800 Denison Avenue
Mosier Hall
Kansas State University
Manhattan, KS USA 66506-5600

Hope this helps!

Hi there, thanks for this info. Gosh, I hope that the regular AVID US ones will be ok for them. My vet said that they do the PETS SCHEME all the time and that they are acceptable. I did specifically ask him for the EURO ones but they don't stock them. I looked online and couldn't find any suppliers, so I went ahead and accepted the US AVID ones. Will I have a problem with getting them approved to go back to the UK with those implanted then??

Thanks for the address. The vet did mention that there was only one place in the USA and he would give us the titre along with envelopes to take to the local Fedex office to send them.

Thanks so much for your advice.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

ninakula is just really niceninakula is just really niceninakula is just really niceninakula is just really niceninakula is just really niceninakula is just really niceninakula is just really niceninakula is just really nice

With regards to the microchip - mine have the "home away" - they had them done in 2003 for some of the animals and in 2007 for our latest addition. They all came over to Portugal without any problem. I had them set up to go back to the UK so I know that everything was good for that.
I have had them checked here as they now need different "passport books" to enter the UK from here (which they do not give in the US) and they are fine as far as I can make out.

As far as the Kansas lab - I was going to send you that info too - I sent the blood off with the 1st animals I had done and it was lots cheaper than getting the vet to do it.

If you speak with Animals Away - or call Virgin cargo at Orlando - they will send you all the info you need together with step by step instructions to make sure you get everything right.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Rebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura about

Hi there, thanks for this info. Gosh, I hope that the regular AVID US ones will be ok for them. My vet said that they do the PETS SCHEME all the time and that they are acceptable. I did specifically ask him for the EURO ones but they don't stock them. I looked online and couldn't find any suppliers, so I went ahead and accepted the US AVID ones. Will I have a problem with getting them approved to go back to the UK with those implanted then??

Thanks for the address. The vet did mention that there was only one place in the USA and he would give us the titre along with envelopes to take to the local Fedex office to send them.

Thanks so much for your advice.
I used the AVID Euro chip to simplify things. According to the DEFRA website (www.defra.gov.uk), you can utilize another chip but their readers may or may not be able to read the chip. It does state that if you have a chip they cannot read you must supply a reader.

From DEFRA:
"Type of microchip
Your pet must first be fitted with a microchip to identify it. We do not specify a particular type or brand of microchip to be used but, in Europe, ISO (International Standards Organisation) Standard microchips meeting specifications 11784 or Annex A of ISO Standard 11785 are generally used.

If the microchip does not meet either of these ISO Standards, you must provide your own microchip reader (at your expense) to enable the microchip number to be read successfully when your animal enters the UK or needs to be checked in a European PETS country."

I didn't want to buy a reader or take a chance, so I opted to purchase a chip I knew they could read.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

I also have the Avid microchip (the US one). I called up Avid and asked them about flying to Europe and the reading of the chip, because I was concerned about not having the European one. They told me that I can rent a microchip reader and take it with me to make sure the chip reads when I get to the airport.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

jackar99 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a Pets passport for our dog that was last updated with a 3 year Rabies vaccination just before leaving Ireland for the US. The dog has since had another shot in the US but the US vets don't update the Pets Passport as they have they're own paperwork. The Pets Passport is valid until March 2010, so my question is if the dog can return to the UK from the US with the Pets Passport or if this is now invalid and that all the usual paperwork for any pet coming from the US should be obtained.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Check with DEFRA. Normally pets travelling out of the US don't travel with Pet Passports. If you find you will have to do everything under the US to UK Scheme then it will take you approximately 7 months from start to finish.