Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

USCIS mail undeliverable for RFE and Biometrics.

USCIS mail undeliverable for RFE and Biometrics.

Old Dec 17th 2009, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

DiCo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default USCIS mail undeliverable for RFE and Biometrics.

Has the following happened to anyone else?

I came on a K1 visa and filed the AOS package (I-485 and I-765) in November. I received the NOA (receipts) on November 16th. On December 10th I was told I had an RFE for initial evidence sent out. On December 15th I received the following messages on the USCIS case status website (one of which was for an RFE for initial evidence and the other I am guessing was for the Biometrics appointment):

On December 15, 2009, the post office returned the notice we last sent you on this case I485 APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS as undeliverable. This may have serious effects on processing this case.

On December 15, 2009, the post office returned the notice we last sent you on this case I765 APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION as undeliverable. This may have serious effects on processing this case.

I called the USCIS number available (1-800-375-5283) to confirm my address which has always been the same (all other documents made it there with no problem) but I was wondering how long this can take to resend the documents to me and what would happen if I was to miss the biometrics appointment which may have already been scheduled (USCIS could not let me know an appointment date if already made). And what are the implications that they may be referring to ('serious effects on processing the case').

I'm located in Washington, DC and the local field office for biometrics is only 30 minutes away in Alexandra, VA. Is it possible to get the biometric done without an appointment letter? I'm trying to keep the process moving wherever possible and avoid too many delays.

Any answers or information would be helpful. Thank you for your time.

Stu
Old Dec 17th 2009, 3:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USCIS mail undeliverable for RFE and Biometrics.

Hi Stu,

I suppose it could happen if USCIS for some reason typed the wrong address on your letters...or if it's a new postal worker who simply couldn't find your house or something.

You can't have the biometrics done without the appointment letter, no. You can try making an Infopass appointment to go in person to try to get a new appointment letter in person (not sure if they will do it, but you can try).

The "serious effects" means that if USCIS sent you an RFE, and you do not respond to it, your case will be closed and you'll have to go through the process of either reopening the case or refiling the AOS. Unfortuantely, USCIS does not view non-delivery of the RFE letter as an acceptable excuse not to respond to it. Frustrating, for sure, but that's how it is.

When you called the 800 number, did they say whether there would be an attempt at re-delivery of the RFE and Biometrics letters?

Rene
Old Dec 17th 2009, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Stu,

Sorry to hear about this.

I agree with Rene, plus could you not call that number and find out when your biometrics appointment was scheduled for? Or call / contact the Alexandria office to find out? Looks like I'll be using the same office as you
Old Dec 17th 2009, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Hi Renee,

Thank you forgetting back to me so quick. The guy I spoke with said that he would pass on the information to the case agent/agents so that the letters would be sent back out, I'm guessing that one of them was a biometrics appointment letter as he asked if I had been issued with one yet.

As for delivering the letters, we live in an apartment building in Central DC that has approximately 500 apartments so can't understand why the mail failed to deliver, unless like you said they wrote the wrong address.

How long do they normally allow for you to respond to an RFE (I'm guessing it is for my medical as I only sent off the vaccine supplement I received from London during the process of the K1, or an error with the tax transcripts)? And what is the likeliness of them extending that time due to this situation?

I actually asked them on a second phone call this morning if they could tell me when the biometrics appointment was set for. But they don't have access to that information or a number to call the Alexandria office. The USCIS customer Services have limited information it seems and they are external to where the cases are processed.

Stu
Old Dec 17th 2009, 3:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DiCo
As for delivering the letters, we live in an apartment building in Central DC that has approximately 500 apartments so can't understand why the mail failed to deliver, unless like you said they wrote the wrong address.
I live in a large condo complex, and I get misdirected mail all the time. If there is a substitute carrier that day, he might have put it in the wrong mailbox, and the person who picked it up just sent it back "return to sender", without trying to find you in the complex to give it to you. Do you have your name on the inside of your mailbox? It's a good idea to do that.

How long do they normally allow for you to respond to an RFE (I'm guessing it is for my medical as I only sent off the vaccine supplement I received from London during the process of the K1, or an error with the tax transcripts)?
I believe the norm is something like 85 days to respond to the RFE. There's no way of knowing what the RFE was for. If you only sent the vaccination record you received from London, then that's a good guess on the RFE. Just curious, why didn't you obtain and send in the vaccination supplement you needed to get from the US Civil Surgeon?

And what is the likeliness of them extending that time due to this situation?
Zero. USCIS does not accept the excuse that you never received the RFE as a reason not to respond to it on time.

Rene
Old Dec 17th 2009, 4:08 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Our RFE for medical info last year was dated March 17 and it was required to be RECEIVED by April 14. Less than a month to have the info returned.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 4:23 pm

On December 10th I was told I had an RFE for initial evidence sent out.
How did you find that out?

Rene
Old Dec 17th 2009, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that information, I will be sure to put my name in the mailbox for future reference.

I didn't send the I-693 with the AOS package originally as I thought the vaccination report from London would suffice. I was also trying to save some time and money by just sending off what I already had. I thought there may have been a chance that it would be accepted from reading threads on other posts. If the RFE does come back asking for the vaccine supplement from a US Civil Surgeon then I guess the moral of the story is to not rush.

As for finding out about the RFE for initial evidence on December 10th, it was given as a case update on the USCIS website but then changed 6 days later to 'application undeliverable'.

'Penquinbar', thanks for letting me know the time period you were given. Even 30 days will be plenty of time as long as the mail gets delivered this time, hopefully it won't take to long to get back to me.

Last edited by DiCo; Dec 17th 2009 at 4:46 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 4:56 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

DC,

Is your name on the mailbox? It shouldn't matter (USPS policy is to deliver to the specified address regardless of addressee name) but a few years ago there used to be delivery issues if the immigrant's name was not on the mailbox. I haven't heard of that happening in a long time, but it may be that a particular USPS person is incorrectly mis-handling your mail for that reason.

Regards, JEff

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Dec 17th 2009 at 4:59 pm.
Old Dec 31st 2009, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

I finally received the Biometrics appointment letter and Request for Initial Evidence (I-485) today.

The appointment date has already passed (December 15th) but there is an option to reschedule the appointment if the appointment time has passed so this is not a big problem.

However the RFE is for the I-693 that I had not previously submitted. It states that I need to properly submit a completed and signed Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record. The civil surgeon must conduct the exam as directed in the instructions to Form I-693. Both the medical examination examination and the vaccination record must be completed when required.

Does this mean I have to get the full medical again even though I just had it in London 4 months ago or should I just get the Vaccination Record transcribed?

I now have my medical booked for Monday 4th.

Happy New Year to everyone!!

Thank you.
Old Dec 31st 2009, 7:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You can try to go the biometrics office noted and see if they will do it without an appointment. More often than not, they will.

As for the medical didn't you send in the vaccination supplement with your I-485? If not you just need to go the approved USCIS physician and have them sign off on the vaccation supplement and submit that. Note in your return of the supplement that as noted by USCIS law as a K-1 recipient and holder, you don't require a full medical just the supplement.
Old Dec 31st 2009, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

Is there a particular day that they will allow people to come without an appointment for biometrics? I will try it on Monday after my medical.

When returning the RFE, should I make that note regarding what's needed from the medical (just the supplement) in the form of a cover letter?

Thanks
Old Dec 31st 2009, 7:42 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a particular day that they will allow people to come without an appointment for biometrics? I will try it on Monday after my medical.

When returning the RFE, should I make that note regarding what's needed from the medical (just the supplement) in the form of a cover letter?

Thanks

You'd have to post what biometrics center you are using for someone to give you more detailed info, i.e. specific day, etc. Usually it is any day.

I would not do a letter but would attach a paper stating, As a K-1 visaholder, I-693A vaccination supplement is attached as per regulations.
Old Dec 31st 2009, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice Rete. The Application Support Center is in Alexandria, VA.
Old Dec 31st 2009, 7:57 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

I would not do a letter but would attach a paper stating, As a K-1 visaholder, I-693A vaccination supplement is attached as per regulations.
Rete, there is no more I-693A.
The pinned thread at the top of the forum explains that an I-693 is required.

K visa holders are getting the shaft on this IMO but no one seems to be speaking out about it.

Originally Posted by meauxna
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-693instr.pdf

NOTE: If you are applying for adjustment of status at least one year after your first admission to the United States as a refugee or as a "K" or "V" nonimmigrant visa holder, see Questions 1-3 in Section III, Frequently Asked Questions, before proceeding any further.

2. What if I am a K nonimmigrant visa holder and already had a medical exam overseas?

If you were admitted as a:
A. K-1 fiancé(e) or a K-2 child of a K-1 fiancé(e), or as a
B. K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen or a K-4 child of a K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen, and
C. You received a medical examination prior to admission, then-

a. You are not required to have another medical examination as long as your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, is filed within one year of your overseas medical examination.

b. You will, however, be required to complete Part 1, Information about you, and submit the vaccination section of Part 2 with your adjustment of status application. A designated civil surgeon must complete the vaccination section and Part 5, the Civil Surgeon's Certification.
There is anecdotal evidence that some people with completed vax series didn't get an RFE and got approved without including this form.

See this thread from post 25 on
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=553844&page=2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.