Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

USC laid off 2 weeks before wedding.

USC laid off 2 weeks before wedding.

Old Aug 12th 2002, 9:54 pm
John Smith

Default USC laid off 2 weeks before wedding.

Hi,

I currently working on a H1-B visa that expires at the end of December. I was not
planning on renewing it as I am getting married in 2 weeks and was going to file for
an EAD and AP (we have been planning the wedding for 12 months). Unfortunatly my
future wife was laid off at the end of last week and has now filed for unemployment
but now obviously cannot get a letter from her employer.

Are we going to have to wait to file adjustment of status until she gets a new job or
would a co-sponser work (even though I make over the minimum required)?

Thanks.

--
John Smith

Old Aug 13th 2002, 1:10 am
John Smith

Default Re: USC laid off 2 weeks before wedding.

Never mind, I re-read the forms and found the answer.

On 12 Aug 2002 21:54:50 GMT, John Smith wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I currently working on a H1-B visa that expires at the end of December. I was not
    > planning on renewing it as I am getting married in 2 weeks and was going to file
    > for an EAD and AP (we have been planning the wedding for 12 months). Unfortunatly
    > my future wife was laid off at the end of last week and has now filed for
    > unemployment but now obviously cannot get a letter from her employer.
    > Are we going to have to wait to file adjustment of status until she gets a new job
    > or would a co-sponser work (even though I make over the minimum required)?
    > Thanks.
    > --
    > John Smith

Old Aug 14th 2002, 7:26 pm
jprasad

If you have been living with your fiancee for over
6 months does that make you part of the household
for I-864, or do you have to be married and living
together over 6 months to be able to use immigrants
income?

Thank you,

Prasad

Old Aug 15th 2002, 10:05 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jprasad:
If you have been living with your fiancee for over 6 months does that make you part of the household for I-864, or do you have to be married and living together over 6 months to be able to use immigrants income?
Thank you,
Prasad
It's been my opinion that unmarried, living together (documented, of course) makes for a shared household. Andy Platt seems to agree with me while Rete has and hasn't, IIRC.
Does anyone have any real world experience with this to share?
Old Aug 15th 2002, 4:52 pm
Mrs_blackross

married or not, if you reside in the same household for at least 6 months, you are a
household member in the eyes of the INS, so if that's the case, the immigrant's
income can be used for the I-864.

"meauxna" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by jprasad:
    > > If you have been living with your fiancee for over 6 months does that make you
    > > part of the household for I-864, or do you have to be married and living together
    > > over 6 months to be able to use immigrants income? Thank you, Prasad
    > It's been my opinion that unmarried, living together (documented, of course) makes
    > for a shared household. Andy Platt seems to agree with me while Rete has and
    > hasn't, IIRC. Does anyone have any real world experience with this to share?
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com