Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

USA visa for UK resident with criminal record question

USA visa for UK resident with criminal record question

Old Jul 14th 2009, 5:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA visa for UK resident with criminal record question

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Plus, it seems he didn't get ESTA pre-approved, which is a requirement now.

Rene
Ah yes.......he really is in the poo then! Just as well Meauxna gave him that funny thing called a 'link' with details of lawyers on.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 5:41 am
Just Joined

xdcam is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, now I'm totally depressed. Two people who are totally in love with each other and just want to be together.....

Thanks for all the advice everyone, but I'm overwhelmed and saddened by the 'brutal reality' to this thread.

Come on guys, I know what a link is, just didn't see it.

Not sure about the pre-approved ESTA though as I only came back a few days ago and knowbody said anything?

Last edited by xdcam; Jul 14th 2009 at 5:43 am.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xdcam
What if I just want to go on holiday to the USA, I don't need any visa for that surely. I just got back from a 3 week trip there and I didn't need anything, just a green slip I filled out on the plane. That entitles me to stay for up to 3 months.
How did you manage to visit the US with your criminal history? How did you answer the questions on the green form about any arrests/convictions?
Old Jul 14th 2009, 5:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Marocco
How did you manage to visit the US with your criminal history? How did you answer the questions on the green form about any arrests/convictions?
Don't remember seeing that, I was standing in a queue at the time; might have missed it. Only a small green slip with a few details on it.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 5:48 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

xdc,

That's not out of the question. It's just that the US government (any government) is not Burger King - you may not be able to have it "your way".

A little bit of time apart from your lover isn't the end of the world, we've all gone through it.

Regards, JEff

Wow, now I'm totally depressed. Two people who are totally in love with each other and just want to be together.....
Old Jul 14th 2009, 5:52 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't remember seeing that, I was standing in a queue at the time; might have missed it. Only a small green slip with a few details on it.
There are questions that you fill out on the green slip before handing it over to the POE agent. We are curious how you answered the written question on the green slip regarding whether you've ever been arrested.

Reality bites, I know. But, at least you're more aware now of what needs to be done. It's not impossible, but just more work than you had planned on.

One solution is to have your USC fiancee move to the UK. From my understanding, that is a LOT faster, and a LOT simpler. If you really want to be together without all the hassle of US immigration, having your fiancee move to the UK would be the way to go.

Rene
Old Jul 14th 2009, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

One solution is to have your USC fiancee move to the UK. From my understanding, that is a LOT faster, and a LOT simpler. If you really want to be together without all the hassle of US immigration, having your fiancee move to the UK would be the way to go.
Apparently that's the plan, but he wants to spend time with her in the US until she finishes her degree there.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:00 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marocco
Apparently that's the plan, but he wants to spend time with her in the US until she finishes her degree there.
Oh, I see. Well, in that case, he should talk to an immigration attorney to see if he's eligible to come VISIT her while waiting. There is no way he can actually LIVE in the USA while waiting.

Rene
Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:05 am
Just Joined

There are questions that you fill out on the green slip before handing it over to the POE agent. We are curious how you answered the written question on the green slip regarding whether you've ever been arrested.Rene
I was standing in queue at airport at time and guy in front was explaining what I had to put as I'd never filled out out before. He said "tick no to all those", so I did, without reading.

So, will this have an effect on me now, will it be on record that I might have told a fib? If I had ticked yes on the green slip, would they have refused my entry there and then?
Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:12 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Will you toast me a slice, please? With butter?
It was I Can't Believe It's Not Butter (Lite); hope that will do! (with blueberry jam, mmm)

I was standing in queue at airport at time and guy in front was explaining what I had to put as I'd never filled out out before. He said "tick no to all those", so I did, without reading.

So, will this have an effect on me now, will it be on record that I might have told a fib? If I had ticked yes on the green slip, would they have refused my entry there and then?
It's hard for us to understand how you were able to board without completing ESTA ahead of time; how and where did you buy your ticket?

Unfortunately, 'fibbing' on the green form may be a further problem, yes. We can't know if you would have been refused entry because we don't know the nature of your arrests & convictions.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:14 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Will you toast me a slice, please? With butter?

I just finished lunch at the waterfall in midtown. Can I have dessert, pls.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna

It's hard for us to understand how you were able to board without completing ESTA ahead of time; how and where did you buy your ticket?

Unfortunately, 'fibbing' on the green form may be a further problem, yes. We can't know if you would have been refused entry because we don't know the nature of your arrests & convictions.

I bought my ticked directly from British Airways website.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:21 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the advice everyone, but I'm overwhelmed and saddened by the 'brutal reality' to this thread.

Come on guys, I know what a link is, just didn't see it.

Not sure about the pre-approved ESTA though as I only came back a few days ago and knowbody said anything?

And she can't come to the UK with you to live and work without a visa issued by the British government. Works both ways in the world of immigration.

I really feel that you need to stop yourself right this minute and get your head on straight. You are filled with misconceptions and misunderstandings of what can and cannot be done and what needs to be done for you to marry your girlfriend and live and work in the US. You also need to understand what needs to be done for you to even come to visit the US on a so called "holiday".

Do you know if that if you told the agent at the Port of Entry (POE) that you were coming to visit your US fiancee you would probably have been placed on the next plane back to the UK without ever leaving the airport? Do you know that if the agent at the POE is having a bad day, she/he can just not allow you into the US without any good reason whatsoever.

It is hard for some of us to comprehend just how naive some people are about entering a foreign country and about living and working in the US.

I feel for you because your head must be about to explode. What have you learned from your immigration attempts when you tried to live and work in Belguim back in 2007? That should have taught you to ask first before making any plans.

Get your fiancee to retain an immigration attorney or at the very least to consult with one. The fee can range from $75 to $250 an hour.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Love that..........'a fib'! What a great way to put it, guess it's better than 'lied and committed immigration fraud'!!

And yes, it may come back and cause problems later - after all, for the visa you will require to marry your gf (as we've already established, you cannot enter on the VWP or a B2 visa, marry her and stay as that is illegal) you will have to disclose your criminal record. And I would imagine that they'll wonder why you said you didn't have one previously.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:24 am

I bought my ticked directly from British Airways website.
Honestly, with all the things you have going on with your case, you REALLY need to speak with a professional (immigration attorney). All we layman here can do is guess what will happen.

My layman's opinion is that you speak with an attorney and try to go the K-1 route, if you really want to LIVE in the USA while waiting for your fianee to finish school. The attorney can describe what obstacles you face in terms of a denial and how to overcome the denial (yes, there might be ways).

But I think my gut instinct would be just to continue having the long-distance relationship, and then having my fiancee move to the UK whenever she can. Have her visit you in the UK whenever she can, and never mind you coming to the USA. You have a lot to overcome, you are just now realizing that, and it will take time and money to overcome it all.

Rene

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.