USA Ban

Old Oct 30th 2009, 7:54 am
Banned

bills is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy USA Ban

I am currently facing a 3-10 year ban due to overstaying my VW I am in desperate need to go back to the UK but want to return to the US. I just wondered if the ban may be avoided by catching a flight from Mexico instead in the hope that the overstay will not be reported by the Mexican authorities.
I am aware that I have been wrong in overstaying but having met someone while on holiday i made some rash decisions & have put myself in a predicament.
So I not in need of the hand slaps & told how bad I have been just is it a viable option to go from mexico. Thanks in advance
Old Oct 30th 2009, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA Ban

Originally Posted by bills
I am currently facing a 3-10 year ban due to overstaying my VW I am in desperate need to go back to the UK but want to return to the US. I just wondered if the ban may be avoided by catching a flight from Mexico instead in the hope that the overstay will not be reported by the Mexican authorities.
I am aware that I have been wrong in overstaying but having met someone while on holiday i made some rash decisions & have put myself in a predicament.
So I not in need of the hand slaps & told how bad I have been just is it a viable option to go from mexico. Thanks in advance
Good start to my weekend -
Not disrespecting OP...
Old Oct 30th 2009, 8:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

is it a viable option to go from mexico.
No. Afraid going to Mexico won't help you in any way other than you being able to forget your troubles over a lot of good margueritas!

Exactly how long have you overstayed by?
Old Oct 30th 2009, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I just wondered if the ban may be avoided by catching a flight from Mexico instead in the hope that the overstay will not be reported by the Mexican authorities.
Your problem is not that the Mexican authorities will report you for overstaying - they won't (why would they?)

Your problem is that you should have left the US within 90 days and turned in your green I-94W form when you left. The fact that you have not done so means that the US has no record of your departure and will therefore assume (correctly) that you must have overstayed.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 8:22 am
Banned

bills is an unknown quantity at this point

christmasoompa,

Thanks its been well over 9 months so I am defo up the river without a paddle as I thought!
Old Oct 30th 2009, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

To be able to get into Mexico, he needs to pass the US immigration/customs right? Which will record his departure?

Or is the OP suggesting he will get into Mexico illegaly? :S
Old Oct 30th 2009, 11:18 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

Neither Mexico nor the UK are part of the United States last time I looked. Crossing into Mexico is a departure from the United States and invokes the bar. Even yourself notes that you want to "return" to the United States.

To repeat, traveling via Mexico is a departure from the US.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 11:40 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Even strolling across the bridge at El Paso means you have to exit through immigration. Best way to avoid the predicament of getting a ban on exiting, Is I hate to say it Don't Exit.

I wouldn't condone this course of action, As it will probably produce more heart ache in the future.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Oct 30th 2009 at 11:54 am.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 1:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks its been well over 9 months so I am defo up the river without a paddle as I thought!
Yup... sounds like a 3-year ban to me. When you're over 12 months, it's a 10-year ban. The ban triggers the moment you leave the US... so it doesn't matter where you catch a flight... once you're out of US territory, the deed's done!

I am in desperate need to go back to the UK but want to return to the US.
Leaving is easy... but it'll be 3 years before you can return to the US. As the Emperor said to Luke Skywalker, "Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side. You have paid the price for your lack of vision."

Ian
Old Oct 30th 2009, 3:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Even strolling across the bridge at El Paso means you have to exit through immigration. Best way to avoid the predicament of getting a ban on exiting, Is I hate to say it Don't Exit.
Hi:

There is case law that walking across the bridge and then being refused admission by Mexico was not considered a departure and "entry" into the United States. [It was to advantage of the person in question that they would have been considered to have departed and returned under the particular set of facts].

I put "entry" into quotes because the definition of "entry" was removed from the Immigration & Nationality Act in 1996 to be replaced by the current term of "admission." There are still a lot of gray areas in that part of the law.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 5:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as Mexico is concerned you can always enter the US the normal way.

And leaving the US you do not go through immigration. Not that it matters.

What you really need as far as transportation is concerned is a Tardis.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 5:10 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Your problem is not that the Mexican authorities will report you for overstaying - they won't (why would they?)

Your problem is that you should have left the US within 90 days and turned in your green I-94W form when you left. The fact that you have not done so means that the US has no record of your departure and will therefore assume (correctly) that you must have overstayed.
Out of interest, when I went to Canada recently via the Port Angeles (WA) ferry to VI, there didn't seem to be a great deal of US immigration - the lady who took my ferry payment (from the car window) seemed to check our passports but did not remove the I-94. That was it - we were on the ferry and in Canada next.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 5:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Out of interest, when I went to Canada recently via the Port Angeles (WA) ferry to VI, there didn't seem to be a great deal of US immigration - the lady who took my ferry payment (from the car window) seemed to check our passports but did not remove the I-94. That was it - we were on the ferry and in Canada next.
A contigous territory
Old Oct 30th 2009, 5:29 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Hi:

Precisely, you had documents in order, they were examined and you came back.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 10:10 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

There is case law that walking across the bridge and then being refused admission by Mexico was not considered a departure and "entry" into the United States. [It was to advantage of the person in question that they would have been considered to have departed and returned under the particular set of facts].

I put "entry" into quotes because the definition of "entry" was removed from the Immigration & Nationality Act in 1996 to be replaced by the current term of "admission." There are still a lot of gray areas in that part of the law.
I thought any country you exit from on Foot has to take you back if the other country denies you admission People can not habit No Mans Land. With the exception of like China Russia and the Middle East

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Oct 30th 2009 at 10:14 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.