Us Tax

Old May 8th 2007, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

hblondie26 is a jewel in the roughhblondie26 is a jewel in the roughhblondie26 is a jewel in the roughhblondie26 is a jewel in the rough
Default Us Tax

Please could someone tell me (if you know) about tax breaks in USA?

At present we are in Australia and receive god tax breaks, would these apply in the USA as well? We would be coming over on a temporary visa so would still be UK citizens.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 8th 2007, 3:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Us Tax

depends on where you live in the US, as there's federal and state taxes....and some of it depends on your status and if your a home owner etc...
Old May 8th 2007, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

abboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hblondie26
Please could someone tell me (if you know) about tax breaks in USA?

At present we are in Australia and receive god tax breaks, would these apply in the USA as well? We would be coming over on a temporary visa so would still be UK citizens.

Thanks in advance.
We use calendar year rather than fiscal year. Here, you pay medicare tax and social secuirty tax on your gross earned income(salary , wages, bonus) . Even you are in temporary visa, you will be taxed as resident if you start your residency in January. What kind of tax break you want to know? Your income from bank interest, income from super, and investment property(net of expenses) are taxable here. If you pay tax in Australia ,You can get part of it as foreign tax credit, even Australian tax rate is higher , you will still pay some tax on them.( believe me, I paid a lot for them) .
You can claim dependents deduction here.
Old May 8th 2007, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

hblondie26 is a jewel in the roughhblondie26 is a jewel in the roughhblondie26 is a jewel in the roughhblondie26 is a jewel in the rough

We will be renting a house and living in Atlanta - possibly Fulton county. ......