Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

US Student Visa + Extending stay after course

US Student Visa + Extending stay after course

Old Feb 21st 2013, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

CheapTat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Student Visa + Extending stay after course

Hi,

I am a student from the UK and I'm eligible for a J-1 for studying in Texas next academic year. I would really like to take some time to see the country after my course finishes but the J-1 only allows for 30 days after your course before you are required to leave. I was wondering if anyone knew if there was any way I might be able to legally stay on for 2/3 months over the summer to explore a bit?

Thanks for any help!!
Alex
Old Feb 21st 2013, 4:28 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Student Visa + Extending stay after course

Originally Posted by CheapTat
Hi,

I am a student from the UK and I'm eligible for a J-1 for studying in Texas next academic year. I would really like to take some time to see the country after my course finishes but the J-1 only allows for 30 days after your course before you are required to leave. I was wondering if anyone knew if there was any way I might be able to legally stay on for 2/3 months over the summer to explore a bit?

Thanks for any help!!
Alex
Maybe exit to Canada and return to the USA on the VWP? You will have to show a return flight leaving the USA within 90 days of your entry.

Rene
Old Feb 21st 2013, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

CheapTat is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Rene,

I rang the Embassy and it appears that to use the Waiver programme I must exit america and all it's bordering countries. I feel like there must be an easier way to holiday after study than to leave the continent.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 5:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CheapTat
Thanks Rene,

I rang the Embassy and it appears that to use the Waiver programme I must exit america and all it's bordering countries. I feel like there must be an easier way to holiday after study than to leave the continent.
The embassy does not deal with ESTA or VWP approvals, so I don't think they are the proper source to get information. Plus, when you call the embassy you're getting third party contract workers who don't know the law...and they give out a lot of misinformation.

It's true that if you are in the USA on the VWP already, you cannot get a new 90-day entry just by going to Canada (you have to go further away). But you are not currently on the VWP, so personally I don't see why a trip to Canada wouldn't work for you.

You could try doing a "change of status" from J-1 status to B-2 visitor status from within the USA. The change of status could still get denied, though. There is a form to fill out and submit, and I'm guessing a fee to pay, but I don't know any of the details. It can also take many months to get the approval, so if you're going to try it, make sure you submit far enough in advance.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Feb 21st 2013 at 5:50 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It's true that if you are in the USA on the VWP already, you cannot get a new 90-day entry just by going to Canada (you have to go further away). But you are not currently on the VWP, so personally I don't see why a trip to Canada wouldn't work for you.
Im not saying it is, but it might be under the same guise that you are in on a specific status and can not reset the clock by popping in and out. On vwp, you have to travel further afield so that you can get the new 90 days on re-entry. Same could be said that when in on the J-1 you are expected to leave at a certain defined point, thus you are not allowed to just pop over the border to obtain a further 90 days stay. This is just a scenario guess and is most probably completely wrong, but it is the only logic i can see in the response the OP got from the phone call.

Oh and what you said Rene about getting the info from the proper place may be useful lol.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

You can apply for a change of status from J1 to B2 with USCIS:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00082ca60aRCRD