Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

US Government reviewing policy to UK Cautions

US Government reviewing policy to UK Cautions

Old Mar 5th 2014, 12:02 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Government reviewing policy to UK Cautions

Generally, a conviction for immigration purposes is a finding of guilt and a penalty. Even just court costs have been found to be a penalty. Not sure how they're expanding on the interpretation (if they are) or whether it will be court tested.

Admitting to the essential elements usually needs to be done a specific way and documented as such. It's a lot more involved than scribbling a signature on a document in front of a police officer before having a chance to sober up.

If they go that route, presumably someone currently in the US and applying for adjustment of status could run afoul of this change and become removable.

Last edited by crg; Mar 5th 2014 at 12:05 am.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 12:05 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Isn't it a form of expedited, police-administered justice?
The police get their "conviction" and the person accused can go home, avoiding court/prison (which may never have been a serious prospect anyway) but with a criminal record, even if they don't understand it at the time.
Accepting a police caution is an admission of guilt. The upside for the criminal is that they get to go home and face no further action. The downside is that they have now have a criminal record which they wouldn't have if they took it to court and were found not guilty.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 12:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Accepting a police caution is an admission of guilt. The upside for the criminal is that they get to go home and face no further action. The downside is that they have now have a criminal record which they wouldn't have if they took it to court and were found not guilty.
All understood. One has to wonder a. how many people think they were receiving an informal warning when in fact they accepted a formal caution, and b. how many people have accepted cautions when there is no realistic chance that there would have been a successful prosecution.

What proportion of the British population have one of these? Anecdotally, isn't it fairly high (one in three, or one in four?)

Last edited by JAJ; Mar 5th 2014 at 12:18 am.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 12:30 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
All understood. One has to wonder a. how many people think they were receiving an informal warning when in fact they accepted a formal caution, and b. how many people have accepted cautions when there is no realistic chance that there would have been a successful prosecution.
Very true. A) I guess that the difference is presumable you have to sign something saying you have accepted a caution and waived your right to go to court as opposed to getting a verbal "slap on the wrist".

As for B) I suspect the number is pretty high although the UK will 'step down' a caution after a period of time (or it used to) so it no longer appears on your criminal record (hence the "No Live Trace" on ACPO certificates).

What proportion of the British population have one of these? Anecdotally, isn't it fairly high (one in three, or one in four?)
A quick Google didn't reveal a number but pretty high I should imagine if this anything to go by.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22016225

Last year more than 200,000 people who committed crimes in England and Wales were cautioned, although that figure is 42% lower than the number of cautions given in 2007.
No idea how many were given to repeat offenders though.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

n1cholas90 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm interested to hear the outcome for those who have received letters asking to return to the embassy with their passports. As this doesn't neccassarily follow the speculation of requiring waivers. As you wouldn't need to return to the embassy with your passport if that were the case? Or perhaps this is just for those cautioned for crimes not involving moral turpitude/ drug offenses?
Old Mar 5th 2014, 2:51 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
and b. how many people have accepted cautions when there is no realistic chance that there would have been a successful prosecution.
If there is insufficient evidence to be able to meet the CPS standards for a prosecution a caution should not be given and no further action taken. Of course as always practice and theory are two different things.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

aswales is an unknown quantity at this point

Very true. A) I guess that the difference is presumable you have to sign something saying you have accepted a caution and waived your right to go to court as opposed to getting a verbal "slap on the wrist".

As for B) I suspect the number is pretty high although the UK will 'step down' a caution after a period of time (or it used to) so it no longer appears on your criminal record (hence the "No Live Trace" on ACPO certificates).

A quick Google didn't reveal a number but pretty high I should imagine if this anything to go by.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22016225

No idea how many were given to repeat offenders though.
My APCO says "No live trace" but they are still stopping me due to a caution 13 years ago.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 5:22 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aswales
My APCO says "No live trace" but they are still stopping me due to a caution 13 years ago.
Of course - the way police have been using cautions (including for indecent assault!) they want to look at their policy.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 5:44 pm

That's because 'they' are the US authorities who don't recognise the Rehabiliation of Offenders Act 1974.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 9:40 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by n1cholas90
I'm interested to hear the outcome for those who have received letters asking to return to the embassy with their passports. As this doesn't neccassarily follow the speculation of requiring waivers. As you wouldn't need to return to the embassy with your passport if that were the case? Or perhaps this is just for those cautioned for crimes not involving moral turpitude/ drug offenses?
Depending on the offense and how long it has been, it's possible that a waiver can be granted without waiting for DHS to approve so it's possible that a waiver will be issued as soon as the passport is submitted.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 1:18 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

That's because 'they' are the US authorities who don't recognise the Rehabiliation of Offenders Act 1974.
The British government doesn't really recognize it either. Which is why traces of convictions and cautions are never removed from the records.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

hopeful8288 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quick question for those of you who were put on administrative processing for receiving a caution: approximately how long after the interview did your case number appear on the admin processing list?

It's been 8 days since my boyfriend's visa appointment and his number is still not the list so just trying to get an idea of the general time frame it took others.

Also, when the officer gave you the notice of admin processing, was your reason based on section 221(g) as well?
Old Mar 6th 2014, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by crg
Do you have a link to that?

Anyone know if there is a penalty with a caution such as a fine, fee, or any other costs?
http://www.usvisalawyers.co.uk/whatsnew.htm
Old Mar 7th 2014, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

I sent another email yesterday to see if I could get a batch number as I wasn't given any correspondence when I had my interview and this is what they came back with.

"Your application is under review by a consular officer. As your case is not subject to administrative processing, but is under review, you will not be able to track the progress of your application online. Please be assured that you will be contacted as soon as the review of your case is completed. The Embassy cannot guarantee that a visa will be issued to any applicant by a specific date."
Old Mar 12th 2014, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

hopeful8288 is an unknown quantity at this point

I sent another email yesterday to see if I could get a batch number as I wasn't given any correspondence when I had my interview and this is what they came back with.

"Your application is under review by a consular officer. As your case is not subject to administrative processing, but is under review, you will not be able to track the progress of your application online. Please be assured that you will be contacted as soon as the review of your case is completed. The Embassy cannot guarantee that a visa will be issued to any applicant by a specific date."
Wow, that is SO frustrating! I really hope they respond with ANYTHING at this point as the lack of timeline is so miserable.

Curious to know if anyone has had any updates on their own situations? I remember Deskartes mentioned that her husband was to have a visa interview this month and they asked him to bring his passport...any news on that? Would just love to know anything at this point..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.