Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

US Family Based Immigration on Visitor Visa!

US Family Based Immigration on Visitor Visa!

Old Mar 7th 2012, 8:42 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Family Based Immigration on Visitor Visa!

[QUOTE=ultimate12570;9941353]
Originally Posted by Noorah101
You seem to think that in the category of visa you'll be applying for (Immigrant Visa, sibling of a USC), that the UK has a different time frame than third world countries. This is not the case. Even people in Canada, which is right ON the border with the USA, have the same amount of waiting time that someone from Pakistan does. That would be about 10 - 12 years.

Rene[/QUOTE

please have a look of these US immigration Rules...from government immigration website...

What Happens Next?

If your relative is already in the United States legally, he or she may apply to adjust status to become a permanent resident after a visa number becomes available using Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.
If your relative is outside the United States, your petition will be sent to the National Visa Center (NVC). The NVC will forward your petition to the appropriate U.S. consulate when a visa becomes available and your relative will be notified about how to proceed. This process is referred to as “Consular Processing.”
Your family member’s preference category will determine how long he or she will have to wait for an immigrant visa number. Once you have filed a petition, you can check its progress on “Check My Case Status” in the links to the right. For visa availability information, see the “Visa Bulletin” link to the right.
A person who enters on the VWP is absolutely prohibited from adjusting status based on a petition filed by a US citizen sibling but feel free to do what you want to do. An immediate relative (IR) can apply, but a sibling is an F41 and cannot.

Be aware that any I-485 you file as a VWP entrant sibling of a USC would be deemed frivolous even if the visa number becomes available, which takes 10 to 12 years lately. There is no basis under the law for it to be approved. However, feel free to try it out and let us know how it goes.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 8:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you have a visa number available to you?
Old Mar 7th 2012, 8:50 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultimate12570
please have a look of these US immigration Rules...from government immigration website...

What Happens Next?

If your relative is already in the United States legally, he or she may apply to adjust status to become a permanent resident after a visa number becomes available using Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.
Please note the bolded text. Yes, you may apply to adjust status...AFTER A VISA NUMBER BECOMES AVAILABLE. In your category, a visa number won't become available for 10 - 12 years. How do you plan on staying legally in the USA all those years?

If your relative is outside the United States, your petition will be sent to the National Visa Center (NVC). The NVC will forward your petition to the appropriate U.S. consulate when a visa becomes available and your relative will be notified about how to proceed. This process is referred to as “Consular Processing.”
Your family member’s preference category will determine how long he or she will have to wait for an immigrant visa number. Once you have filed a petition, you can check its progress on “Check My Case Status” in the links to the right. For visa availability information, see the “Visa Bulletin” link to the right.
Yes...this is all correct. What's your point?

Rene
Old Mar 7th 2012, 10:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Respectfully, we've been doing this for a long time. We know what the rules are. You don't want to hear what's being said... that's not our problem.

What we've got here is a failure to communicate.

Ian
Old Mar 7th 2012, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

i have british Passport so no need of visit visa, and once i land in the US i can apply adjust of status... that decades waiting times are for people who are in India or Pak
I've lived in the UK my whole life and, even though I'm hoping to move to the US, I love it here. This comment, however, made me want to leave today and not come back.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 10:50 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

How it can be illegal? if i go to US on Visit, as i have british Passport so no need of visit visa, and once i land in the US i can apply adjust of status... that decades waiting times are for people who are in India or Pak and applying from there....but in my case i will be applying within the US...???
You're right -- they're just pulling your leg here.

As long as you've not got brown skin, just pop over with your Brit passport. Tell the guy at the counter with the uniform on you'll be staying until bro's sponsorship comes up in a decade or so. If the officer seems unsure, just mention the special relationship -- and you'll have bagged it.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

As has already been explained, it is illegal for you to enter the US as a visitor with the intent of staying and adjusting status.

Also, note that you can only apply to adjust status after a visa number becomes available - which in your case would be about 12 years after your brother applies for you ...
Old Mar 8th 2012, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You're right -- they're just pulling your leg here.

As long as you've not got brown skin, just pop over with your Brit passport. Tell the guy at the counter with the uniform on you'll be staying until bro's sponsorship comes up in a decade or so. If the officer seems unsure, just mention the special relationship -- and you'll have bagged it.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

nuttyandfruity is a jewel in the roughnuttyandfruity is a jewel in the roughnuttyandfruity is a jewel in the roughnuttyandfruity is a jewel in the roughnuttyandfruity is a jewel in the rough

Hi, Entering on the visa waiver is not classed in immigration terms of being here legally to adjust statuses and stuff, I get where you can assume that but it simply isn't true. As I said in my previous post to you, I applied 10 years ago and I am still waiting for my 'number' to come up, once it does I can adjust status etc as the article you copy and pasted suggests. I ma british through and through by the way...welsh born and bred. Once you enter using that vwp you agree to waive your rights basically and agree to simply be a 'visitor' which means you cannot work, claim any benefits, apply for assistance, adjust status etc.

It is frustrating to hear, I understand that but get used to being frustrated love, you are about to enter the realm of American immigration where nothing is fair and not much make sense.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nuttyandfruity

You are about to enter the realm of American immigration where nothing is fair and not much makes sense.
Can we make this the BE US Immigration Motto and paste it at the top of the page?
Old Mar 9th 2012, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Here's an idea. Have your bro file the I-485 and in a week or so, when it gets sent back saying he has no basis to file it, you'll have the answer right from the horses mouth. However, I'm not sure how he will fill it in without lying since he won't have some of the info, like the petition the application would be based off. If you're lucky the government will just think you're a couple of numpties. If not he could find himself in a spot of bother for fraudulently filling in the form.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 1:32 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Here's an idea. Have your bro file the I-485 and in a week or so, when it gets sent back saying he has no basis to file it, you'll have the answer right from the horses mouth. However, I'm not sure how he will fill it in without lying since he won't have some of the info, like the petition the application would be based off. If you're lucky the government will just think you're a couple of numpties. If not he could find himself in a spot of bother for fraudulently filling in the form.
I like that advice.

I heard of an F-1 student who sent in an N400 with the fee. The kid thought... I've been permanently residing in the US for 5 years as a student... I'll apply. CIS processed the application quickly. They cashed the check and sent a letter that I will paraphrase.... 'You don't even have an A#, thanks for the money, go play in traffic.... application denied.'
Old Mar 9th 2012, 7:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

That always made me wonder, so many posts by those on Student Visa's allegedly come across that they would be hard pushed to pass the 11+.