Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

US (Diversity Visa) Immigrant Visa Entry point

US (Diversity Visa) Immigrant Visa Entry point

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 6:36 am
Just Joined

mpala is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US (Diversity Visa) Immigrant Visa Entry point

Hi there

My wife an I are planning our moving to the US, and initially will go for a recruiter drive and come back to the UK. Then return within a (short time 3 months )back to the US.

The information pack says that some airports have offices for Social Security Office will be able to give us our social security numbers etc..

Should we enter from a major airport like JFK or if we enter from MSP (Minneapolis St.Pauls) would it be a small time airport that we would not be able to get all the documents done.

Thanks

mpala
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US (Diversity Visa) Immigrant Visa Entry point

I've never heard of a SSA office in an airport. I think you'll have to just go to the office when you're in town.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
I've never heard of a SSA office in an airport. I think you'll have to just go to the office when you're in town.
Me either. There are social security offices in every nook and cranny around the US though.

You can find them here:

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps6z/FOLO/fo001.jsp
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:11 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacrime
Me either. There are social security offices in every nook and cranny around the US though.

You can find them here:

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps6z/FOLO/fo001.jsp
I wonder if the DV peeps get the option of checking the "I want an automatic SSN" box on one of the forms (as peeps doing the Immigrant Visa do). If they do, the SS card should come to them automatically in the mail within a few weeks of their arrival in the USA.

Rene
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:24 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I wonder if the DV peeps get the option of checking the "I want an automatic SSN" box on one of the forms (as peeps doing the Immigrant Visa do). If they do, the SS card should come to them automatically in the mail within a few weeks of their arrival in the USA.

Rene
Yes, if they complete DS-230 like everyone else.

mpala, look at your copy of DS-230 Part II, last page, and look for the boxed section about SS numbers. If you ticked 'yes' there, a SS card will be mailed to your US address automatically.

We passed through MSP at first entry to the US (for my immigrating spouse); it's not a small airport.

This article might help you know what to expect in the airport and how to hit the ground running with a couple of very good links at the bottom.
The info packets they give out with visas are often outdated, but I'd be interested in the text of yours!

Arriving In America: Navigating the POE