US Citizenship questions n400

Old Mar 23rd 2024, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Blue York is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Citizenship questions n400

How you doing folks, I am looking at filing the N400 and was doing the online form, some of these questions may be online form specific so if anyone has done one recently or can share some advice that would be kindly appreciated.

(I am applying via the 5 year route)
  1. Under past 5yrs work history, for the occupation field it pulls up a list of fields. Should this always just contain the generic field or if I do the paper form can I show my specific title.
  2. If I have been at the same company for X amount of years but had different titles through promotions should I put each date field from each promotion as its own separate job even though the same company?
  3. If I complete the paper form is the processing time slower than online?
  4. For country of citizenship on the online form it allows you to select UK, but for country of birth it allows the option of England or UK. I feel like selecting the latter since my passport is a British passport and the UK is a sovereign state? (Though I may be overthinking this one, but want to keep myself right since it's the citizenship)
  5. For USCIS online account number I made a new email account for USCIS and don't have one though I recall my wife having an online account when we filed for K1 but we both cant remember login or if we had a account number, I assume it's fine to select don't have one?
  6. For address history if I did as an example 5/5/20 - 6/6/2021 at one residence then did 6/6/2021 - 7/8/2023 at another I get a yellow error saying overlapping dates though our lease did overlap as we moved into a different unit at the same complex.Though would that not be correct as I am leaving one residence on one day and moving into the other the same day? ...should I display it as 5/5/20 -6/5/21 and then 6/6/21 etc so no overlap.
  7. For the 5 year route are tax statements not needed (if you don't owe any money) I was reviewing the guidance on M-477 and it appears to be for those going 3 year route, stayed outside US over 6 months or owe money. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/guides/M-477.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwihxZT_5oqFAxWshYkEHeTmCwEQFnoEC B0QAQ&usg=AOvVaw2LaBKLBIbjREqn-a1VTnah

Thank you in advance for anyone who can provide a bit of guidance, cheers!
Old Mar 24th 2024, 3:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Citizenship questions n400

Why are you overthinking this? Work history with showing only one company is easy. Length of employment and generic work field is fine. You can reside at two places at the same time. You are not living at one place on 6/6 and another place on 6/6 ... check your dates. You are a citizen of the UK and should be consistent. Use the same for all questions regarding your other citizenships.

Online application is quicker than paper form. But stop nitpicking each and every question. You will have the opportunity to correct things throughout the process.
Old Mar 24th 2024, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Why are you overthinking this? Work history with showing only one company is easy. Length of employment and generic work field is fine. You can reside at two places at the same time. You are not living at one place on 6/6 and another place on 6/6 ... check your dates. You are a citizen of the UK and should be consistent. Use the same for all questions regarding your other citizenships.

Online application is quicker than paper form. But stop nitpicking each and every question. You will have the opportunity to correct things throughout the process.
Cheers Rete for the reply, trying to get it completed asap.

There is a section that asks for my spouses legal name then there are two questions right after
  1. Has your current spouse ever used a previous legal name
  2. Has your current spouse used any other names since birth? (Other names used may include nicknames, aliases, and maiden names)
For the second question its evident to list her maiden name though for the first question should I also list her maiden name (no prior marriages, only maiden name before our marriage)

In terms of uploading evidence on the 5yr route am I correct in saying GC photocopy and my wife and daughter US birth certificates is suffice or are there are additional documents required for the 5 year route?
Old Mar 24th 2024, 10:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yes for #1 and for #2 put both her current name/surname and then "nee first name/maiden name"
Old Mar 25th 2024, 3:21 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue York
Cheers Rete for the reply, trying to get it completed asap.

There is a section that asks for my spouses legal name then there are two questions right after
  1. Has your current spouse ever used a previous legal name
  2. Has your current spouse used any other names since birth? (Other names used may include nicknames, aliases, and maiden names)
For the second question its evident to list her maiden name though for the first question should I also list her maiden name (no prior marriages, only maiden name before our marriage)

In terms of uploading evidence on the 5yr route am I correct in saying GC photocopy and my wife and daughter US birth certificates is suffice or are there are additional documents required for the 5 year route?
Question #2 does NOT ask you to repeat the name given in question #1. If the prior legal name was the maiden name, then it is not required to give it again. It pays to remember that naming conventions vary a lot through out the world. Hispanic and Arab names are prime examples.
Old Mar 25th 2024, 3:30 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Good answer. The new fee schedule taking effect next week encourages on-line filing by charging lower filing fees. In fact the N-400 provides for a fee increase for paper filings, but a fee DECREASE for on-line filings.

Also, if one is going to overthink answers, it pays to remember that the law has problems with material representations. The saying about horseshoes and hand grenades applies to a certain extent.
Old Mar 25th 2024, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

You can reside at two places at the same time. You are not living at one place on 6/6 and another place on 6/6 ... check your dates. You are a citizen of the UK and should be consistent. Use the same for all questions regarding your other citizenships..
Thanks, I guess the way I should think of it as the prior end date should be the day/night before you move out into the new location.

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Good answer. The new fee schedule taking effect next week encourages on-line filing by charging lower filing fees. In fact the N-400 provides for a fee increase for paper filings, but a fee DECREASE for on-line filings.

Also, if one is going to overthink answers, it pays to remember that the law has problems with material representations. The saying about horseshoes and hand grenades applies to a certain extent.
Not sure what you mean about latter but good to know about the change. I can only imagine online is much easier to process and less manual handling and added wait time. I was reading some folk were getting interviews in as quick as 4-6 months from applying!
Old Mar 27th 2024, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

When doing the n400 for the sections that ask about addresses/ employer / travel for the past years they need to be listed for the 5 year period from date of filing?

As an example if filing today you can list your job, address and travel from today going back 5 years which would be to 3/26/19

In short you don’t need to list a job or residence if it started in 2017 but ended in 2018 for example? I have been with the same employer for 5.5 years so I assume I would only need to list them and not other employers past the 5 year mark.

Also for the end date as I’m employed but the expected format is MM/DD/YYYY should I enter the date the form is submitted and just explain at interview there wasn’t an option for present?
Old Mar 27th 2024, 4:35 pm
Concierge

Yes to all. If it doesn't allow you to write in "current" then the date of application is fine.
Old Mar 27th 2024, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Yes to all. If it doesn't allow you to write in "current" then the date of application is fine.
Thank you!
Old Mar 28th 2024, 3:10 pm
BE Commentator

I wonder if OP is one of those individuals where a competent attorney is needed for peace of mind.
Old Apr 3rd 2024, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

nigelhorne is an unknown quantity at this point

I would agree, it's easy and tempting to overthink it, I fell into the same trap. Frankly having the LPR status for a few years, keeping my nose clean, and paying my taxes was all that mattered with a bit of swatting for the civics test. I found the N400/citizenship process very easy and streamlined - in fact, the interview was more like a simple chat on top of a few legal niceties. Getting my first H1-B was more time-consuming as was getting the jabs for the GC.

Have fun, and hope to greet you as a fellow citizen soon :-)

-Nigel