US Citizenship

Old Jul 22nd 2012, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

susie64 is on a distinguished road
Default US Citizenship

What would be the benefit of being a US citizen before moving back to the UK. I have no intention of moving back to the USA?

Would I still be able to get my social security pension?
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 3:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Citizenship

Originally Posted by susie64
What would be the benefit of being a US citizen before moving back to the UK. I have no intention of moving back to the USA?

Would I still be able to get my social security pension?
Yes, you would still be able to get your Social Security. I think you can't receive SS if you are a PR when you leave the US, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Hopefully someone else can clarify that.

Another benefit would be if you have USC children. In the future, lets say those USC children want to live in the US, then you have the ability to come and visit them anytime you want, for as long as you want, without the need for a visa. Or lets say your USC husband wants to return back to the US because he hates the UK, or has to return to take care of ailing parents. You just never know really, what twists life may throw at you that could bring you back to the US.

The biggest drawback, of course, is having to file taxes on worldwide income every year.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 9:44 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a FAQ page on 'SSI Benefits for Non-Citizens' from the Social Security website:

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answ...ent%20resident

It depends on whether you are what they call a "qualified alien" and whether you meet one of the 5 required conditions. It's not super-easy to understand, but there is a Help number for questions down near the bottom of the page.

As for naturalising, if you have a US citizen spouse and any US citizen children, it seems crazy for you NOT to go ahead & naturalise if possible. You will be the 'odd one out', so to speak, in any future dealings with the US, if you don't. Right now you may not expect to ever move back, but as Bluegrass Lass says, you never know what the future will bring. . . for you, your spouse, or your kids. Why not all be on the same page as far as immigration rights?
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 10:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pros_a...US_Citizenship

Who'd have thought, the wiki being useful?
Old Jul 24th 2012, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

If I become a US citizen and still have investment income from the US, will I still have to pay medicare and SS on it?
Old Jul 24th 2012, 12:30 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Here's a FAQ page on 'SSI Benefits for Non-Citizens' from the Social Security website:

It depends on whether you are what they call a "qualified alien" and whether you meet one of the 5 required conditions. It's not super-easy to understand, but there is a Help number for questions down near the bottom of the page.
SSI benefits are not social security. SSI benefits are top up benefits for people under the poverty line over age 65, the disabled or the blind.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 12:02 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue

Originally Posted by Mallory
SSI benefits are not social security. SSI benefits are top up benefits for people under the poverty line over age 65, the disabled or the blind.
Aaaack, you're right! That's not the correct link, & now I have no way to delete it.

I've been doing my own research on this. Here's the link I should have posted, but it's a little vague & inconclusive.
http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answ...ng%20the%20USA

Is it possible it's saying that if you're not a USC then you need to reside in the USA to receive benefits?

Susie, I think the best thing would be to ring up or visit your nearest Social Security branch and ask them. Or . . . there's a box on the right-hand side of that page that allows you to email the SS Support Team with your question. I've done that with my question, but it might be different from your circumstances, so you should probably email them to ask your own questions . . . .

Good luck in making your decision!
Old Aug 13th 2012, 1:44 pm
BE Reader for years!

BritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really nice

I have some input to this. My Grandfather had his Green card for a few years in the late 1990's and never actually moved to the US, he decided to stay in the UK (long story) and after entering the US one time they asked him at a port of entry to surrender his Green Card as he had clearly abandoned his permanent resident status. He agreed and did so. Now on his annual visits to the US he is always pulled aside and interviewed and given hassle every time. Despite the fact he is a man in his 80's! Because they are suspicious that he "on this trip" might finally make his move permanent. So my advice is, go ahead, naturalise (as I have) and don't worry about future trips in and out of the US.

I mean.. even if you don't want to move back to the US again, you still might want to have a weekend in New York to see a play, head to Miami for some sunshine in the winter or even just visit friends in the US for a week. Don't take the hard road!
Old Aug 20th 2012, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

I did it, went ahead and sent all the paperwork off to become a US citizen, thanks for all your input.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 3:14 pm
BE Reader for years!

BritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really nice

Yay! Congrats - let us all know how your journey goes - mine took about 4 months (I was super organized and prepared every step of the way) - read over at the Citizenship thread on this forum to read other's journeys, it was helpful for me, it meant that I knew how far along I was in the process by tracking when I received certain documents compared to when other's received them. While everyone's journey is different in complication and length it is still good info to have at hand.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

KarlR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by susie64
I did it, went ahead and sent all the paperwork off to become a US citizen, thanks for all your input.
Susie, how hard have you studied for the Civics Test? I've been doing the practice questions from the official website and downloaded the free pdf's etc.

I'm going to apply for my Citizenship once I save up the money but have been trying to nail the 100 civics questions.

What did or have you used to assist?
Old Aug 21st 2012, 9:54 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

They only asked me 4 questions after studying all that info and then had me write a sentence in English and said well we know you can speak the language so no need to check that bit I had to know the branches of the government, the name of our states governor and I forget what else.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

I haven't looked at it yet but printed the 100 questions off their website civics questions for the naturalization test, no idea how I will remember as I have brain atrophy from an accident and my memory is shot.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 12:31 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Susie maybe you can get some medical evidence letter from a neurologist or someone who can have you excused if you can't remember enough to pass the questions part.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

I know there is a form that can be filled out by your DR, but I would really like to give it a shot, some things I already know from before the accident, it's retaining new info thats the problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.