US Citizenship

Old Oct 7th 2008, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

cbco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Citizenship

Hi,

Does anybody know any good site's to get info on gaining US citizenship as a UK resident?

If anyone knows the answer personally, I'm looking into US citizenship, but apparently I need to live there for 5 years before applying, but I also need a green card beforehand which is slightly daunting.
I've been told you can only go to the states and request green card/us citizenship if you can personally offer something good, whether it's Doctor or a wealthy business.

Thanks
Old Oct 7th 2008, 5:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Citizenship

Originally Posted by cbco
Hi,

Does anybody know any good site's to get info on gaining US citizenship as a UK resident?

If anyone knows the answer personally, I'm looking into US citizenship, but apparently I need to live there for 5 years before applying, but I also need a green card beforehand which is slightly daunting.
I've been told you can only go to the states and request green card/us citizenship if you can personally offer something good, whether it's Doctor or a wealthy business.

Thanks
Here is the first article you need to read: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA. This describes all the various ways of getting into the USA. Some lead to a green card (permanent resident status), some don't. You will need one which can lead to getting a green card if you ultimately want citizenship. You will need to be a PR for 5 years. You don't always become a PR immediately, so tag on the time it takes to work or study for a while before you can find the path to the green card once you are here.

The next article is here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Natura...ship_Resources. This describes the requirements for becoming a USC.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Oct 7th 2008, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold

Do you have a spouse or parents who are USC ?
Out of interest, why are you so interested in becoming a USC ?
Old Oct 7th 2008, 5:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you're married to a US citizen, you must have a green card for 5 years before being eligible for citizenship. So, you must also add on the time it actually takes to get the green card... and that can range from several months to several years depending on a number of factors.

That is half-right. To get *into* the US in the first place, you need some skills... and then you need to qualify on some basis for a green card. Once you have the green card for 5 years, you can apply for citizenship... and at that point in time, finances and skills don't much matter.

Ian
Old Oct 7th 2008, 6:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Reading his other posts may be educative.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 7:12 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Reading his other posts may be educative.
Must be PC Plonker

I hope not with the Met ..
Old Oct 7th 2008, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

cbco is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey,

Thanks for the replies, they're appreciated

The reason was I'm just getting trying to get a idea on how one would go about working abroad, I've always loved visiting the US on holidays, and would love to have the opportunity to live there. Sadly working as a police officer is out of the question by the looks of things.

@ the PC Plonker: I'm not a cop, yet..

Anyway, am I right in thinking once you 'try' to get the visa, you then live in X country for 5 years (or less?) and then apply for citizenship, then you have to wait for the OK which can take quite a while, right?
Old Oct 7th 2008, 10:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, am I right in thinking once you 'try' to get the visa, you then live in X country for 5 years (or less?) and then apply for citizenship, then you have to wait for the OK which can take quite a while, right?
Not quite. It goes something like this:

1. Get appropriate visa to enter the USA.
2. Once inside the USA, wait until have an opportunity to apply for a green card.
3. Obtain the green card, which makes you a permanent resident (PR).
4. Be a PR for 5 years.
5. Apply for citizenship.
6. Attend an interview, then an oath ceremony, which makes you a USC.

No way to even estimate a timeline on that whole process above, as it depends on too many factors...what visa you enter with, when you can become a PR, how long each of the processes takes, etc.

Just to reiterate the main point: It's not "living in the USA for 5 years" which allows you to be eligible for citizenship. It's "5 years of being a PR in the USA" which makes you eligible. Depending on the visa you enter the USA with, you can easily live in the USA for several years before you can become a PR.

Rene
Old Oct 8th 2008, 12:55 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

also note that job based visas usually require the employer to sponsor the visa initially and then (IF THEY WANT TO) to sponsor the green card /PR. ie you cant make them do it or do it yourself generaly. You could be lucky and find a firm who would maybe sponsor your visa but who wouldnt be prepared to go for the green card - so once the visa expired you would have to return home and start again.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Not quite. It goes something like this:

1. Get appropriate visa to enter the USA.
2. Once inside the USA, wait until have an opportunity to apply for a green card.
3. Obtain the green card, which makes you a permanent resident (PR).
4. Be a PR for 5 years.
5. Apply for citizenship.
6. Attend an interview, then an oath ceremony, which makes you a USC.

No way to even estimate a timeline on that whole process above, as it depends on too many factors...what visa you enter with, when you can become a PR, how long each of the processes takes, etc.

Just to reiterate the main point: It's not "living in the USA for 5 years" which allows you to be eligible for citizenship. It's "5 years of being a PR in the USA" which makes you eligible. Depending on the visa you enter the USA with, you can easily live in the USA for several years before you can become a PR.

Rene

Exactly, I know someone who was in the US for 11 years waiting for his green card.... He had some issues but bottom line is it can take forever just to get the clock started....