Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

US Citizen living in UK - looking at perhaps moving back

US Citizen living in UK - looking at perhaps moving back

Old Feb 8th 2013, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

Rogsy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Citizen living in UK - looking at perhaps moving back

Hello

I am a US Citizen living in the UK. I was brought to the UK by my British mother when I was 12 (lived in Texas) and have lived in the UK ever since, 1976, so I am not a spring chicken. I have family (a brother - all my other family have passed away) and a dear friend in Texas. I visited Texas every year up until my father passed away 7 years ago, sometimes staying for 2 months. Following his death my circumstances in the UK changed and I could not afford to visit.

I am looking at my options for my future and wonder if it would be possible to go back to the US to live. I have never paid taxes there as I moved to the UK so young. Any clues as to where to start or am I being crazy even contemplating it.

Many thanks
Old Feb 8th 2013, 3:29 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Citizen living in UK - looking at perhaps moving back

If youre a US citizen get on a plane and go. End of story.

Although do you have any evidence of being a USC? That would be a good idea before you go. If you are seriously looking at moving back also you should look to file at least 3 years worth of taxes since it was incumbent on you as a USC to file your taxes every year - regardless of your residence.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 3:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you're a US citizen, then get a passport and you're good to go.

You're meant to have filed taxes to the IRS, but unless you're earning significant amount, wouldn't have any taxes owed on that. The IRS office at the London embassy is very helpful if you need to back file your taxes.

The wiki here is pretty good for help on that.

If you're not already a UK citizen, it would be worth getting that first before considering the move, in case things don't pan out the way you hope, so at least you'd then have options rather than getting stuck in a country you don't necessarily know.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 11:00 am
Just Joined

Rogsy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
If you're a US citizen, then get a passport and you're good to go.

You're meant to have filed taxes to the IRS, but unless you're earning significant amount, wouldn't have any taxes owed on that. The IRS office at the London embassy is very helpful if you need to back file your taxes.

The wiki here is pretty good for help on that.

If you're not already a UK citizen, it would be worth getting that first before considering the move, in case things don't pan out the way you hope, so at least you'd then have options rather than getting stuck in a country you don't necessarily know.
Thank you for your response. I have a US passport. I shall look into the taxes. I had not thought about becoming a UK Citizen but a very good idea. Thanks.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

You should look at the financial aspects of moving to the US very carefully before making a decision.

If you have felt unable to visit the US recently because of your financial circumstances then, unless things have changed a lot, moving to the US could be a very bad idea unless you have clear idea of how you are going to make enough money to live on and, (assuming that you intend to stay permanently in the US) eventually retire.

The cost of health care in the US is one very big factor to consider.