Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

US Cit marrying Brit...better in US?

US Cit marrying Brit...better in US?

Old Apr 16th 2007, 7:01 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Cit marrying Brit...better in US?

Originally Posted by natelywills
actually, I completely agree with this. Unless you have megabucks and can afford a decent lawyer to speed the process up it's NEVER a good idea to marry outside of another country and then apply to move the souse. Where possible, take the K1 fiancee visa route.

I went through the K1 process and although it took a long time it wasn't half the time we were told it would take for us to be together on a spousal.
It seems your info might be a bit dated; things change quickly and circumstances vary.
For example, our spousal visa process took 33 days.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 7:12 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I came to the US in June '05 at last but the whole process took us over a year. That mixed with the hell that was the day I was sent back, I'm a tad nervous about the whole process!! .
I understand your trepidation. Our fiance visa took 14 months to process back in 2003/2004, but we expected that long of a wait, and with my fiance's nationality it was impossible for him to come to visit the USA in the meantime. My financial situation prevented me from visiting him in Turkey during the process as well, so we just had to grin and bear it for the 14 months we were apart, knowing it was going to mean a lifetime together later on. So although it was a long wait, it wasn't as frustrating as someone who is expecting it to happen soon, or expects to visit in the interim.

My immigration motto is....Be prepared for the worst, hope for the best!

Rene
Old Apr 16th 2007, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Jess5377 is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry, just to clarify, by rights, etc I meant that she would be able to work and travel as normal but only once .

I'm simply sharing my experiences. I applied for a K1 visa and was not allowed in the UK even though I had a ton of proof. I had to stay out of the US until my visa came through, had my passport blocked for tourist travel, etc. My husband and I had to wait a YEAR before we were legally about to see each other in the US. It was really horrible to be honest. If this is a rpocess they have changed then great.

I also was not able to apply for my EAD until my gree card application had been sent in so again, if this has changed then great.

Concerning the Lawyer issue, I agree, it's an unnecessary expense but I was told by an official at immigration when I was refused entry to the US that if I had an expensive lawyer the process could be sped up somewhat. I would assume this is how celebrities get to come to the US and vice versa with little or no aggro.

My dh travelled to the US twice while his spousal visa was being processed. No problems at all and I'm not even sure the officers at poe knew he had an application being processed.