US B2 Visa - Conviction Question

Old Mar 3rd 2013, 10:18 am
Just Joined

applicantWithinUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US B2 Visa - Conviction Question

Hi,

I know this has been discussed previously, however I want to be absolutely sure about this since is an important point.

I was taken into court 2 years ago here in the UK supposedly as I had ignored paying a speeding penalty fee (I honestly never got any notifications to pay this in the first place). For this the police came to my flat and took me to the court. On the day the judge found me "admonished" ("Absolute Discharge").

In the form DS-160, there is a question
"Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offense or crime, even though subject of a pardon, amnesty, or other similar action?"

Do I need to say yes to this?

The reason I am asking is that the question is quite strong I think as is talking about "pardon, amnesty or other similar action". I am concerned that by saying yes, my visa application might get rejected.
How likely is for the visa application to be rejected?
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 1:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US B2 Visa - Conviction Question

Originally Posted by applicantWithinUK
Do I need to say yes to this?
No, you don't.

Ian
Old Mar 5th 2013, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the quick response!

Now, on several places on the embassy's web site it says that if the person has committed any convictions, even if they are minimal, this should be declared. I am concerned that, although this one is a very minor one, they might think that I am lying. Any steer on this?
Old Mar 5th 2013, 8:41 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Is this really what is says? Or have you made a word substitution?

Regards, JEff

committed any convictions,
Old Mar 5th 2013, 9:02 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I For this the police came to my flat and took me to the court. On the day the judge found me "admonished" ("Absolute Discharge").

?
That was an arrest
Old Mar 17th 2013, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Is this really what is says? Or have you made a word substitution?

Regards, JEff
Hi Jeff,

This URL
http://london.usembassy.gov/add_crime.html
says
"The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply to United States visa law. Therefore, even travelers with a spent conviction are required to declare the arrest and/or conviction and apply for a visa."

What do you think?
Old Mar 17th 2013, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
That was an arrest
So does this mean to you that for the question in form DS-160

"Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offense or crime, even though subject of a pardon, amnesty, or other similar action?"

The answer should be yes or no?
Old Mar 17th 2013, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
No, you don't.

Ian
Thanks for the response; really appreciate the time you take on this.

I do have a spent conviction due to the situation explained above (i.e. "I was taken into court 2 years ago here in the UK supposedly as I had ignored paying a speeding penalty fee (I honestly never got any notifications to pay this in the first place). For this the police came to my flat and took me to the court. On the day the judge found me "admonished" ("Absolute Discharge").")

Since they ask you that "even travelers with a spent conviction are required to declare the arrest and/or conviction and apply for a visa" (taken from http://london.usembassy.gov/add_crime.html) I am concerned that by not declaring the above, they think that I am lying and revoke my application. Any views on this would be mostly appreciated.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 2:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The question on ESTA asks about CIMT crimes only.

The question on a visa application asks about ALL arrests.

So when filling out a visa application, you need to check "yes".

Rene
Old Mar 17th 2013, 4:34 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the response; really appreciate the time you take on this.

I do have a spent conviction due to the situation explained above (i.e. "I was taken into court 2 years ago here in the UK supposedly as I had ignored paying a speeding penalty fee (I honestly never got any notifications to pay this in the first place). For this the police came to my flat and took me to the court. On the day the judge found me "admonished" ("Absolute Discharge").")

Since they ask you that "even travelers with a spent conviction are required to declare the arrest and/or conviction and apply for a visa" (taken from http://london.usembassy.gov/add_crime.html) I am concerned that by not declaring the above, they think that I am lying and revoke my application. Any views on this would be mostly appreciated.
Yes, you need to declare the offence for your visa application. You will also need to acquire an ACPO certificate and possibly records from the court or police as well.

Last edited by materialcontroller; Mar 17th 2013 at 4:38 pm. Reason: ACPO
Old Mar 17th 2013, 6:04 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx
Old Mar 17th 2013, 8:24 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The question on ESTA asks about CIMT crimes only.

The question on a visa application asks about ALL arrests.

So when filling out a visa application, you need to check "yes".

Rene
One wonders why he is asking about a B2 visa. If he thinks he needs a visa because of the arrest the distinction in your reply is very relevant.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 9:07 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
One wonders why he is asking about a B2 visa. If he thinks he needs a visa because of the arrest the distinction in your reply is very relevant.
I don't think the arrest is the most relevant factor. The OP isn't a British citizen but is living in Britain on a Tier 1 visa and has had two previous B2's valid for 5 years each.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 2:11 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

You disclose the arrest on the visa application and show records. The consulate won't give a hoot about the traffic arrest. It means next to nothing to them, but it needs to be disclosed.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 2:14 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
I don't think the arrest is the most relevant factor. The OP isn't a British citizen but is living in Britain on a Tier 1 visa and has had two previous B2's valid for 5 years each.

Thanks I had missed that bit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.