Update of automated status

Old Apr 28th 2004, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

shadowboxer has much to be proud ofshadowboxer has much to be proud ofshadowboxer has much to be proud ofshadowboxer has much to be proud ofshadowboxer has much to be proud ofshadowboxer has much to be proud ofshadowboxer has much to be proud ofshadowboxer has much to be proud ofshadowboxer has much to be proud ofshadowboxer has much to be proud ofshadowboxer has much to be proud of
Default Update of automated status - approval notice?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anybody knows whether a request for an update of automated status on the USCIS system might automatically generate a paper copy of an approval notice.

Background: Just talked to the No-Customer-Service Representative of USCIS regarding an NOA2 from VSC which my ficance/husband never received (and which was never updated online either). As expected, I was told that the only way to go is filing an I-824. When I insisted on not wanting to re-apply for something that was never received in the first place, she cut me off with the words that in this case the petitioner should request an update of the automated status.

Does anyone have a suggestion about whether it is worth the effort to request this update?

Thank you in advance- and good luck to all!

Rebecca.

Last edited by shadowboxer; Apr 28th 2004 at 1:51 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Update of automated status - approval notice?

I am K-3. I never received my NOA 2 for the I-129f. I went ahead and borught my wife here and have not found the need tor it yet. however, you do need the first noa's at later points in the process.

I seem to recall being told that they will not reissue the noa 2 anyway.

Originally posted by shadowboxer
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anybody knows whether a request for an update of automated status on the USCIS system might automatically generate a paper copy of an approval notice.

Background: Just talked to the No-Customer-Service Representative of USCIS regarding an NOA2 from VSC which my ficance/husband never received (and which was never updated online either). As expected, I was told that the only way to go is filing an I-824. When I insisted on not wanting to re-apply for something that was never received in the first place, she cut me off with the words that in this case the petitioner should request an update of the automated status.

Does anyone have a suggestion about whether it is worth the effort to request this update?

Thank you in advance- and good luck to all!

Rebecca.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 2:17 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lpdiver
I am K-3. I never received my NOA 2 for the I-129f. I went ahead and borught my wife here and have not found the need tor it yet. however, you do need the first noa's at later points in the process.

I seem to recall being told that they will not reissue the noa 2 anyway.
Actually, Tony, I think it's the second NOA that you need to file for AOS as it shows that the original petition was approved. That's what we sent in for Mr. P's AOS application.

Rebecca, I know that JEff (jeffreyhy) has the same issue as you do---no second NOA ever appeared. Maybe you could do a search for posts by him on the subject. I can't remember how he is going about solving the problem, but you may be able to get some information from his situation.

~SecretGarden
P.S. Welcome back!
Old Apr 28th 2004, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the heads up. The info line said they would not resend the second NOA. It is updated online though and it would seem logical that the K-3 visa in the passport should count for something. But I know don't count on logic and reason when dealing with the USCIS.

Originally posted by SecretGarden
Actually, Tony, I think it's the second NOA that you need to file for AOS as it shows that the original petition was approved. That's what we sent in for Mr. P's AOS application.

Rebecca, I know that JEff (jeffreyhy) has the same issue as you do---no second NOA ever appeared. Maybe you could do a search for posts by him on the subject. I can't remember how he is going about solving the problem, but you may be able to get some information from his situation.

~SecretGarden
P.S. Welcome back!
Old Apr 28th 2004, 2:32 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lpdiver
Thanks for the heads up. The info line said they would not resend the second NOA. It is updated online though and it would seem logical that the K-3 visa in the passport should count for something. But I know don't count on logic and reason when dealing with the USCIS.
Ok, going from memory here.....

The directions for K1 asked for the "petition approval notice", which would be the second NOA. I see what you mean about it being obvious that when a visa is issued it is on the basis of some type of approved petition, but the AOS directions wanted that approval document specifically. Luckily we did receive one and sent a copy of it.

If you can't get a copy of it I guess I would send in a printout of the case status page showing the approval. I would also point out in my cover letter that the second NOA was never received in the mail.

~SG
Old Apr 28th 2004, 2:41 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

SG, Rebecca, and Tony,

I am wrestling with this right now - today - trying to beat the fee increase. I still do not have an NOA #2 for my I-129f petition for spouse from the NBC. The Status Online still says that the decision is pending. But....

The new Status Online setup gives some interesting information when one creates a customer account. I find that my status was last updated on 23 December 2003. The NVC told me that my petition was approved on 22 December. This may be just a coincidence, but I suspect that when the USCIS-NBC updated my case status they did so incorrectly. I suspect that they went into my record but did not in fact enter, or save, the new information. I further suspect that as a result the 'signal' to print the NOA (and the 'signal' to change the Status Online) was not sent and that is why I never received an NOA.

What to do about it? Well, I have twice had the National Customer dis-Service Center (aka the USCIS Firewall) make inquiries, neither of which has been responded to, and I am out of time. I plan to send a copy of my NVC notice with the above explanation in lieu of the NOA #2. I will report what happens.

Regards, JEff

~SecretGarden
P.S. Welcome back!
Old Apr 28th 2004, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

shadowboxer has much to be proud ofshadowboxer has much to be proud ofshadowboxer has much to be proud ofshadowboxer has much to be proud ofshadowboxer has much to be proud ofshadowboxer has much to be proud ofshadowboxer has much to be proud ofshadowboxer has much to be proud ofshadowboxer has much to be proud ofshadowboxer has much to be proud ofshadowboxer has much to be proud of

P.S. Welcome back!
Has been a long time- and a long way . But sooo good to be back in here!

Thank you so much for welcome and advice! And good luck to you and Mr. P.

Rebecca.

Last edited by shadowboxer; Apr 28th 2004 at 2:49 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
SG, Rebecca, and Tony,

I am wrestling with this right now - today - trying to beat the fee increase. I still do not have an NOA #2 for my I-129f petition for spouse from the NBC. The Status Online still says that the decision is pending. But....

The new Status Online setup gives some interesting information when one creates a customer account. I find that my status was last updated on 23 December 2003. The NVC told me that my petition was approved on 22 December. This may be just a coincidence, but I suspect that when the USCIS-NBC updated my case status they did so incorrectly. I suspect that they went into my record but did not in fact enter, or save, the new information. I further suspect that as a result the 'signal' to print the NOA (and the 'signal' to change the Status Online) was not sent and that is why I never received an NOA.

What to do about it? Well, I have twice had the National Customer dis-Service Center (aka the USCIS Firewall) make inquiries, neither of which has been responded to, and I am out of time. I plan to send a copy of my NVC notice with the above explanation in lieu of the NOA #2. I will report what happens.

Regards, JEff
Hi JEff,

I did the exact same thing about the NVC letter in lieu of NOA2. I did this as a walk-in at the Boston Office. My officer was very understanding, yet he indicated that I would at least have to bring proof for the fact that we made effort to get a duplicate NOA2 to the interview.

My documentation was accepted at this stage... Yet, the interview is coming near (and I have procrastinated as usual!) and I don't feel like gambling about this issue any more.

Good luck,

Rebecca.

Last edited by shadowboxer; Apr 28th 2004 at 2:54 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 6:19 pm
Eric S.

Default Re: Update of automated status

We have the same problem. I never received an NOA2 after our I-129F for the
K-1 was approved. I called the (no) help line a couple of times and they
told me the same as you: the only way to get it was to submit the form (with
$100-plus fee!) to get a duplicate. One woman said she would email VSC
(where we sent the petition) to ask them to issue the NOA2. She told me to
write a letter to VSC to follow up, which I did. I never heard anything
back from that. Another person told me I could maybe complain to the
district director at VSC, so I wrote him/her a letter also. Never heard
anything back.

Our online status was also never updated to show the petition was approved.
So my theory about what happened was pretty much the same as Jeff's. That
their system was never properly updated to reflect the approved submission.
And therefore the online status wasn't updated and no NOA2 was generated. I
posted about this a month or so ago and Matt Udall replied saying that my
theory may not necessarily be right, because they use 2 different systems to
generate the NOAs and to update the online status. Who knows.

We were married a couple of weeks ago and turned in the AOS package (at
Boston, coincidentally). We enclosed a copy of the letter from NVC saying
they received the approved submission, a copy of the online status page, and
an explanation about not receiving the NOA2. I didn't enclose the letters I
wrote to VSC. But I'll make sure to bring them to the interview.
Hopefully, we won't have a problem. It's encouraging to know that the
Boston officer you spoke to was sympathetic.

Two things really bug me about the requirement for the NOA2 in K-1 AOS.

1. Why do they even need it? You would think the fact the the fiance has
the K-1 visa would be enough .

2. Why do they need US to provide proof of something THEY did??

Anyway, I'm hoping for the best. We just received the NOAs for the I-485,
I-131, and I-765, so that's good. Please let us know what happens at your
interview. Do you have it scheduled yet?

- Eric S.

"shadowboxer" <member22943@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi JEff,
    > I did the exact same thing about
    > the NVC letter in lieu of NOA2. I did this as a walk-in at the Boston
    > Office. My officer was very understanding, yet he indicated that I
    > would at least have to bring proof for the fact that we made effort to
    > get a duplicate NOA2 to the interview.
    > My documentation was accepted
    > at this stage... Yet, the interview is coming near (and I have
    > procrastinated as usual!) and I don't feel like gambling about this
    > issue any more.
    > Good luck,
    > Rebecca.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 28th 2004, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Update of automated status

Originally posted by Eric S.
We have the same problem. I never received an NOA2 after our I-129F for the
K-1 was approved. I called the (no) help line a couple of times and they
told me the same as you: the only way to get it was to submit the form (with
$100-plus fee!) to get a duplicate. One woman said she would email VSC
(where we sent the petition) to ask them to issue the NOA2. She told me to
write a letter to VSC to follow up, which I did. I never heard anything
back from that. Another person told me I could maybe complain to the
district director at VSC, so I wrote him/her a letter also. Never heard
anything back.

Our online status was also never updated to show the petition was approved.
So my theory about what happened was pretty much the same as Jeff's. That
their system was never properly updated to reflect the approved submission.
And therefore the online status wasn't updated and no NOA2 was generated. I
posted about this a month or so ago and Matt Udall replied saying that my
theory may not necessarily be right, because they use 2 different systems to
generate the NOAs and to update the online status. Who knows.

We were married a couple of weeks ago and turned in the AOS package (at
Boston, coincidentally). We enclosed a copy of the letter from NVC saying
they received the approved submission, a copy of the online status page, and
an explanation about not receiving the NOA2. I didn't enclose the letters I
wrote to VSC. But I'll make sure to bring them to the interview.
Hopefully, we won't have a problem. It's encouraging to know that the
Boston officer you spoke to was sympathetic.

Two things really bug me about the requirement for the NOA2 in K-1 AOS.

1. Why do they even need it? You would think the fact the the fiance has
the K-1 visa would be enough .

2. Why do they need US to provide proof of something THEY did??

Anyway, I'm hoping for the best. We just received the NOAs for the I-485,
I-131, and I-765, so that's good. Please let us know what happens at your
interview. Do you have it scheduled yet?

- Eric S.

"shadowboxer" <member22943@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi JEff,
    > I did the exact same thing about
    > the NVC letter in lieu of NOA2. I did this as a walk-in at the Boston
    > Office. My officer was very understanding, yet he indicated that I
    > would at least have to bring proof for the fact that we made effort to
    > get a duplicate NOA2 to the interview.
    > My documentation was accepted
    > at this stage... Yet, the interview is coming near (and I have
    > procrastinated as usual!) and I don't feel like gambling about this
    > issue any more.
    > Good luck,
    > Rebecca.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
Hi Eric,

Our interview is scheduled for July 15...

I will keep you posted on the outcome!

Rebecca.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

cutenurse300 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rebecca,

Great to see ya back here..how s your life here in Boston?I moved overhere on march 11..got married and filed AOS a few weeks ago!
Old Apr 28th 2004, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by cutenurse300
Hi Rebecca,

Great to see ya back here..how s your life here in Boston?I moved overhere on march 11..got married and filed AOS a few weeks ago!
Hey Cutenurse-

you must have thought I was dead . Watch your PM box... Hope everything is fine with you!!!

More later
Old Apr 29th 2004, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

cutenurse300 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by shadowboxer
Hey Cutenurse-

you must have thought I was dead . Watch your PM box... Hope everything is fine with you!!!

More later
Hey Rebecca,

My PM box is empty girl..lol..so hurry up..good to see that you re still alive..smile!!!